“Brilliant welcoming budget hotel”

Prince Regent Hotel Excel London
Ranked #480 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Very welcoming even though we arrived at 5 to midnight following the Monty Python gig at the O2. I'm glad he took the time to point out the free water, fruit juice, tea and coffee before showing us to our very clean room. It was a hot evening, and no, they don't have aircon but they'd left a fan going to cool the room. Thankyou. Lovely breakfast, cooked to order. I'd be more than happy to stay here again. It was great value for money.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We arrived late for our first nights stay, just after midnight and was greeted by i must say a very polite and friendly gentleman on reception. This hotel is a little out of the way from London but not too bad with the Tube rail system with a station located quite close within easy walking distance to the Hotel. The accommodation was very good for the excellent price and breakfast was included. Breakfast is served to your table by personalised and friendly staff. Also fresh milk, fruit, orange juice, coffee etc is available for free as much as required any time of the day or night. Free internet is also provided, the only suggestion I could make is maybe adding an additional computer or two as there is currently only one available. The staff changed over with three different members of staff during our stay and all members of the staff were very friendly, polite and always trying to assist in any way possible. I would highly recommend this Hotel for the price as long as you are prepared to do a little traveling on the tube to various places as it is a little out of the way but well worth it for a nice place to stay. I must also make mention of the fish and chip shop opposite the Hotel run by a true Cockney. He was so friendly and we had a fantastic conversation with him whilst waiting for our excellent seafood. Enjoy your stay if you visit this Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Room was comfortable but very small. Bathroom also cramped but with good sized shower. Reasonably quality fixtures and fittings and comfortable bed. Room had a balcony overlooking front of hotel, no way of locking balcony door which was a touch concerning. The staff seemed friendly enough and reasonably helpful, the general level of cleanliness was good. I had selected this hotel because it advertised secure parking, they only have room for a few cars and its first come first served, my car had to take its chances on the street, a member of staff did move one of their vehicles so I could park outside the hotel front door which was kind and the car did survive its night in E16 unscathed. Up to this point I'd been feeling reasonably satisfied with the value for money, then we went down for breakfast. I have to say the breakfasts we saw served looked very presentable and tempting. The problem was they only have six two person tables, all were full and with at least three couples ahead of us in the queue waiting for a table, the prospects of getting a meal in less than an hour were pretty bleak. We left, going without the breakfast included in the room rate and hungry. You could say a bad taste was left in our mouths without actually being able to sample their food!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My daughter booked this hotel for us as it seemed convenient for the O2 arena. 25 mins on the DLR then after a change at Canning Town the underground. Or a 5 mile walk! Their blurb says 'minutes away'. Misleading at best.
We were in the annexe which is 5 doors away from the msin building. This is a small terraced house. The room was tiny as was the bed. The ironing board filled the wardrobe leaving no room for clothes. Bizarre. No air con so no sleep on a wsrm night. Ah well there's always my full english breakfast to look forward to. Well actually no. This is a Muslim run hotel so no bacon snd no big pork bangers. Just s veggie ssusage, beans and eggs. Gutted. No where is the potential guest warned of this.
All for £130 a night. Avoid this hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Homer S
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We booked this hotel for one night, its on a bus route so oyster cards are good 5 mins walk from LDR prince regent next to the Excel center Dont exspect the Ritz or a top London area for this price . The room we were given was clean and new looking had a balcony terrace we could walk on to to get some air, the outlook was nothing special though traffic noisy if the windows were open. Tea coffie facilities and tv on the wall usual for London. The staff were great and very welcoming nothing to much trouble, Breakfast not a large plate but very taisty and filling. The owner and his staff were not rude and if the choosypalate was that bothered about his lack of sleep why did he not check out after the frist nights bad sleep some people just like to complain and see the bad in everthing. Thanks to Rashid and Ali on the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I travel constantly for business — I'm home about 3 days a month — and this is the worst Western hotel I've ever stayed in. The rooms have no ventilation, so you have to leave the windows open, but the traffic is really noisy and doesn't slow down at any hour of the night. The room was tiny and cramped, poorly laid out, and the bathroom was only slightly larger than an airplane bathroom. The mattress is cheap, full of springs, dips in the middle. I didn't have solid night's sleep once in 6 nights.

In their best moments the staff was indifferent, and otherwise rude. My door was left unlocked after the room was cleaned and I was told, "It's okay, we have CCTV everywhere." Not even an apology. (And also: No, not okay.) As I was checking out, a couple was complaining about cockroaches in their bathroom. There was a lot of excuses but no apology and no gesture of making it up in any way.

I had to leave town for a few days and intended to avoid a huge hassle by leaving and luggage staying here again, but by the end of my initial stay, wanted nothing more than to get out. I ended up paying USD 150 to leave the luggage at the airport, just to avoid this place.

Also, it's at least 45 min from anything in central London so there's no reason to stay here unless, like me, you have to be at the ExCel center. And even then, for the same price, much better options if you don't wait to the last minute to book (so many hotels around)

Room Tip: Ask to get as far away from the street as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank thechoosypalate
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Below is a copy of the email of compliant I sent to the hotel, it's been 5 days now, and I have heard nothing. I am appalled at the lack of care I received. My advise is to spend the extra on the bigger hotels nearer the Excel who have secure/CCTV. I have added a photo of where my car was when it was broken into (the white Focus in the far left)

To Whom it May Concern,

I arrived at the Prince Regent Hotel in Newham, London at 4:30pm, on the 2nd June 2014.

I was very concerned about the area, and made sure that I took all of my valuable work equipment and bags straight into the hotel. Nothing was on display in the car. When I spoke to reception about parking they told me that it was safe on the street. The hotel only has secure parking for 4 cars, but reassured me that my car was safe next to the hotel.

At 7:30pm I was alerted to the fact that the car had just been broken into. The hotel staff wouldn’t call the police for me. And annoyingly told me that is was a safe area (multiple times) – I was later to find out this is far from true. I had no choice to stand on my own for 45 minutes waiting for the police. Whilst drug dealers did their business around me, no one from the hotel offered any kind of help or assistance to me. I was afraid for my personal safety.

The police were great, told me it is a very common occurrence in the area due to lack of CCTV. They took all the details, and told me that they were unlikely to ever find the person who smashed my window.

I was then left on my own, the hotel staff were nowhere to be seen (no one on reception) so I had to leave my car unattended and get my bags from my room. When I came back through reception the receptionist was shocked at how much stuff I had had to keep in my room. He yet again told me it was a safe area. I told him that the police had told me the complete opposite.

As I sat in the car, about to leave, the newsagent 2 doors down from the hotel was robbed and the cashier was hit on the head.

When the police arrived and looked at my car, I explained that an hour ago it had been smashed on the same street and their reply was, “Welcome to E16 love”.

I accept that car can be broken into in any car park. However your hotel’s lack of enough secure parking and lack of CCTV is a factor in my car being broken into. Most of all, I find the behaviour of your staff completely unacceptable. To leave me with no assistance and not offer any help was disgusting.

Regards

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the noisy front of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business