“Disappointing in so many ways”

Travelodge London Stratford
Ranked #370 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Leicestershire
“Disappointing in so many ways”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

To be fair, the bed was comfortable and I did get a fair night's sleep. However, when we arrived the receptionist was standing in the street smoking, so she had to throw the cigarette on the floor and run in to get behind the desk, meaning we had to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke to get to her. She was helpful - she allocated us a twin room, when all I had been able to book online was a double - for my 17 year old daughter and myself. The room was sparse - no furniture apart from a bed and a desk/chair. So one of us had to sit on the bed. There were tea and coffee making facilities. The room was also freezing cold. There did not appear to be any form of central heating/aircon - there was just an electric heater on the wall. Once we had that going it took a couple of hours for the room to warm up. There were holes from cigarette burns in my pillowcase but the bedding was clean. Travelodge do not provide toiletries, other than a bar of soap but I knew this in advance. There were tea and coffee facilities, but could have done with a couple more milk sachets. The two main issues we had were location and neighbours. This hotel is advertised as being in Stratford, and it is on Stratford High Street, but it is a 12 minute walk from the shopping centre/underground, which is not much fun when you have bags. You can get a bus from the hotel to the station, but not from the station to the hotel. We found this particularly difficult, and my daughter was extremely nervous walking through London at night. Had we realised the location we would not have chosen this hotel, as it is quite isolated. In addition, we were on a different schedule to our next door neighbours. So we came in at 10.30pm, watched a bit of tv, and then settled down for the night, intending to have a lie in and check out at noon. Our neighbours had small children, up at 7, who they allowed to play in the corridor outside the room. We had even put a "Do not Disturb" sign on the door, so you would think they would have had the courtesy to keep the children in the room. So, would I stay here again - definitely not. It is in the wrong location. Next year we will stay at the Premier Inn or Staybridge Suites which are both on the same sight as the Westfield Centre.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank Happy2Travel3
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge London Stratford, responded to this review, 3 January 2014
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent stay Happy2Travel3 It is regrettable to learn that the receptionist did not provide a professional service on your arrival. We hope that our guests have a warm and cosy stay so we would like to apologise for your room being cold. As part of focus on minimising climate change our heaters are turned off until our customers arrive although we do have a number of spare blankets and duvets available from reception should you need them. As a brand standard we do not provide toiletries in our hotels unfortunately. We often find our guests prefer to bring their own, however we do provide a vending machine at reception should you need to purchase any extra items. We do ask our customers to be courteous of other guests around the hotel and respect their noise levels so we are truly sorry to learn you were disturbed by the guests in the room next to you. We also require our staff to regularly patrol the hotel throughout the night. We will ensure our hotel management team receive a copy of your feedback which will help support any improvements which need to be made.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Basic hotel excellent for the odd stay
but staff lack training in basic things such as how to use the cash register
some had to get the manager in order to find internet booking
all staff are polite friendly and helpful

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank Alan W
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

stayed here for 5 days in a family room.all the staff were brilliant especially Hannah on reception.the room was spacious and spotless.easy access to central London on tube about 20 mins,ten minute walk to tube and shopping centre.food ok.would stop here again.carpark at shoping centre £7 for 24 hours.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Murcia, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Travelodge, Stratford. found staff helpful.
I liked the relaxed feel of the bar/breakfast room.
I arrived at 23:30 and was able to have something to eat.
Room was large and clean.The windows were fantastic, could not hear the outside world, as we were just off the main road this was great.
My only complaint was the Beds, we asked for a twin room. I expected two, 3ft (90cm) beds, but no the 5ft beds they advertise, were unzipped and we had two, 2.5ft beds to my mind the last time I slept in this size bed I was 8 years old. When I got back home I was laid up in bed for 2 days with back pain.
Would I stay again, I would love to, but the small beds would mean I would go elsewhere..

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
March, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

The bed was very comfy, room was clean, could have done with some more tea, coffee, milk and sugar.
We only had 1 bath and 1 hand towel between 2 of us
The duvet cover had some splits in the seams
There was no lock on the bathroom door and it didn't close properly as the barrel had been removed
Fantastic view from the window!

Southend-on-sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

excellent value for money.no faults with room.service excellent except breakfast which needs to be more efficient considering it was not busy when we stayed.would use again especially as more economical than other options in the area

Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

The location of the hotel is convenient where nearby there is Tesco Express, the bus stop is just infront of the hotel and also 10 minutes walk to the bus station and Westfield. The room provides comfort bed, pillows and duvet. I have stayed at Travelodge twice. Its worth to stay for weekend.