“Outstanding customer service - hotel with a heart!”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Isle of Man
“Outstanding customer service - hotel with a heart!”
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My husband and I were supposed to stay in the Ampersand on 22 & 23 of November, for a long awaited, jam packed trip to London. Sadly, our beloved miniature dachshund became extremely ill whilst we were taking her to the dog sitter and we had to abandon our trip. I informed the Ampersand we would not be arriving as planned, and was informed, as expected, that they would still have to charge me for the first night's accommodation.

A few hours later I received an email from the Ampersand, offering their thoughts for the health of my dog and advising that they would forgo the usual charge in this case.

I'm so surprised that the hotel has seen things from a human perspective, and had empathy with the situation my husband and I found myself in. We will rebook our trip to London at some point in the future, and we will be staying at the Ampersand. Thank you so much to everyone at the hotel that was involved in making this kind decision, and particularly to Éadaoín for her thoughtful email.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dorset
Reviewed 22 November 2012

This is a newly opened hotel, very close to South Kensington Tube station. Some parts of the hotel are not open yet, but this is not a problem.
The hotel is attractive because the rates are relatively good, it has a comfortable, upmarket, designer feel, and it is new.
The reception staff were very attentive and efficient, and show you personally to your room.
The first room I was given, on the ground floor behind reception (005 I think) had 6 noisy air-con units immediately outside the window, which I consider unacceptable - they should pay you to stay in such a room! I was allocated another room without much fuss. It wasn't too bad - though pretty small (about 1 metre of space around the bed) and without direct light - window looked out onto a space in the middle of the building (room 102).
I became frustrated by the TV system which proved very poorly responsive to the remote. The bathroom was lovely - brand new and pristine. The waterfall shower was missing part of the nozzle, which was a shame, and the temperature control for the water wasn't easy to manage. Soap etc, towels, all good. There was some wallpaper missing in one corner of the room.

So - could be a good venue, if you get a good room - but an inferior experience if you are allocated a room like the one I had.

Room Tip: As for specific details of the room you will be allocated, and don't accept a broom closet, or o...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank rjosborne
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2012

We stayed here in September through a Secret Escapes promotion. The photos online really do for once, the hotel justice. Bright, classy interiors - you could still smell the paint it was that new. The bedrooms was small but perfectly formed. The bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in, I didn't want to get up. Great location with lots of places to eat and have coffee and within walking distance to the museums and Harrods. The bathroom was well fitted out with a large walk in shower. Everything was spotless.

The staff were very helpful and cheerful which all added to the ambience of the hotel. Breakfast was included with a wide choice.

I would definitely stay here again and hope to return in the new year.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Catri69
Finland
Reviewed 21 November 2012

A very bad experience. Our room was a standard room for 2 persons. I’ve never seen a smaller room anywhere in the world. There was less than 1 meter free space around the bed (which was smaller than average, probably 140 cm wide). There was absolutely no room for a suitcase, not even your shoes, no place to hang the overcoats. There was a desk and a chair on one corner of the room and you had to jump to the bed to pass them! The bathroom was also very small and its door opened to the room but only partly because the bed was so close to it. This size room is an insult to the visitor. We had a booking for 3 night and we complained about the room and were given a bigger one. But still it had the same size bed which is too small for 2 adults. I was ready to pay extra for a bigger room but those were not available.

When we left they tried to charge me for 2 “extra nights” although I had paid everything in advance. That was resolved. After that they charged me double prize for some extra hot food we had on a breakfast. At that point I had no time to argue about it because we had a plane to catch and I paid it.

If you go to this hotel, avoid the standard room. The other room categories are so expensive that you can go to another better hotel instead. So my advice is: avoid this hotel.

Room Tip: Double rooms are too small.
15 Thank MazaFin
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed here for our 2 night precruise stay in London and liked it so well we booked it for our 1 night post cruise stay. The hotel has been recently renovated so the rooms are all clean and modern but it is the service and location that make this property a real winner. We will definately stay here on our next trip to London. Be aware that the rooms are very eurtopean so are a touch on the small side but still very comfortable!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to room 103 both times which is very convenient as it is only a set of stairs from...
2 Thank GKimb
staffordshire
Reviewed 18 November 2012

Perfect location, lovely decor, well equipped room including tea coffee making facilities, the room was a bit small, our room was on the back of the hotel which was extremely quiet which was amazing considering the location of the hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 November 2012

The Ampersand made our first-time London experience very enjoyable and we would definitely return if this standard is maintained.

Pros:
1. Location - Steps from South Kensington station which has 3 different lines so we were able to reach all the desirable places (Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, London Eye, The Tower of London, Eurostar station, Harrods, ect.) on one of the lines without the hassle of changing lines. There also is a lovely little square with numerous places to eat when you exit the station.

2. Staff & Service - Very friendly and accommodating and we felt very welcomed every time we returned from a day out. They were very nice about accommodating an early check-in as my husband was not feeling well upon arrival. We were also not disturbed at all by housekeeping during our 3 night stay with our do not disturb sign. We tended to leave our room around noon after sleeping in and the room was always made-up upon return in the evening.

3. Decor - Clean, spacious, and beautiful interior/colors. We had the deluxe studio and the room was spacious with seating arrangements and a nice-sized bathroom with tub and shower. The shower had a lovely rainfall showerhead. The Miller Harris amenities was also a nice touch.
Another thing that worked for me was the fact that I was able to open the windows to air out the room. The room smelled nice but I'm quirky about being able to open windows so it was a huge plus for me.

4. Free Wifi and Computer/Printer Area and Library with ping-pong table and book selections - Had no trouble with wifi for both our phones and laptop in the room.

5. Complimentary drinks in the fridge that are restocked daily.

Cons: Not that many and nothing major honestly.
1. Slight rumbling from the underground tube during early hours but not very noticeable unless you are highly sensitive. My husband is on the sensitive side but he didn't have a problem at all.

2. Hotel Entrance - the entrance is merely a double door a few steps up from the sidewalk. We didn't know that it was the hotel at first as there is no driveway or doorman/bellboy outside. There is a friendly staff who is willing to help with luggage once inside though.

3. Closet space - There wasn't a lot of space to hang longer clothing such as coats and dresses in our room.

We have stayed at 3 different hotels that are part of the Small Luxury Hotel collection so far and this was our favorite. We didn't get to dine at the Apero but did have a cup of tea in the Drawing Room and it was simple yet tasty. Overall, I would recommend this hotel to my family/friends visiting London if they are looking into luxury boutique hotels.