“Wonderful staff and the lap of luxury”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 June 2013

I arrived at 630am after a very long haul flight. The night staff were still on and they were absolutely fantastic. They'd prepared a room for me which I could check straight into, despite the fact that I was checking in several hours early. They were charming, funny and obviously worked together superbly as a team. I felt very welcome.

I was staying for one night only before travelling on for business so had booked a smaller double room (the astronomy theme). It was on the ground floor and so had no view, but this was not a problem for me. The bed, which I fell into as soon as I could, was very comfortable. The bathroom was compact but not squashed at all. The rainforest shower with additional handheld piece was lovely (don't laugh - showers are very important to me). Toiletries, robes and extras were high quality and all useful (every hotel should offer a loofah!). I confess, I took the rubber duckie from the shower since he was too cute. There was enough space for my giant suitcase and to move freely around the room, admittedly I was by myself. The workdesk had adaptors and powerpoints of all types.

The location is superb, very close to the South Kensington underground station (I travelled directly from Heathrow to there). For a flying visit it was very handy to Harrods, the V & A museum and all the things that make London a great place to visit (minus the traffic hassles). The staff offered me an umbrella for the slightly inclement weather.

I went to high tea, after sleeping through breakfast, and it was tasty and varied with lashings of fat and sugar as it should be. If you are on a diet, this is probably not the thing to do. The service was prompt and unobtrusive. I ended up having a good conversation to the waiter about life, as I am a fairly chatty type.

I would not hesitate to stay here again. If I had company or was staying for longer I would consider a bigger room. However the double was perfect for my needs at the time.

P.S. sorry night staff I was so jetlagged I forgot to tip any of you. Please don't think I'm cheap...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Endlesstraveller88

Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were celebrating our May birthdays in Europe (London-Barcelona-Lisbon-London) and The Ampersand was the perfect base for 2 nights before our long 9-hour trip back home.

These are the highlights that make The Ampersand a top-notch hotel we would certainly ago back to:

LOCATION
* fab location in the vibrant South Kensington neighborhood
* South Ken tube station only a few steps away (tip: get an Oyster card)
* 5-minute walk to Victoria & Albert (V&A) museum, 15-minute walk to Harrods

ROOM
* amazing bed (I completely forgot to ask what brand it was so I could look for it back home)
* wonderful Miller Harris (Citron Citron) toiletries
* complimentary non-alcoholic beverages in room fridge (still/sparkling water, apple/orange juice, reg/diet coke)
* turndown service - always nice to come back to the room after a full day of sightseeing and shopping
* walk-in shower (divine!)

DINING
* Must not miss afternoon tea in The Drawing Room! This was one of our most memorable dining experiences throughout our entire trip. Everything we had was oh-so-good, from my lemon verbena tea to the array of delectable little sandwiches and pastries, to the clotted cream and the best jam we've ever had.
* Full English breakfast - another yummy offering at the hotel, this time in their basement restaurant Apero. Amazing value at only £10 (don't bother paying for the room with continental breakfast rate!).

There have been numerous comments about the size of the rooms. We stayed in a superior room, and yes, it is smaller than what we are used to. With 2 sets of luggage, extra square footage would have made the room more comfortable. Overall, however, this did not take away from our experience and we will most likely consider booking a (bigger) deluxe room the next time we visit.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank tunachar
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

Ampersand you are brilliant! We loved staying with you - the staff were superb & the decor is gorgeous & the breakfast was perfect (best granola I have ever had!!) & the bed was super comfortable & loved the bathroom ( especially the wooden loo seats) & toiletries. The ornithological references throughout the hotel are charming. The location is amazing - right beside South Kensington tube station so you can get around the city very easily. We stayed 1 night in a Double and 3 nights in a Deluxe room. The Double was cute but very small - however partly that was because the bed was huge - and for one night it was fine. The comfort of the bed and the excellent bathroom made up for the small size of the room, as did the wee box of welcome sweet treats, the complimentary glass of champagne and the delightful staff. The Deluxe room was gorgeous - upholstered velvet bed-head to snuggle up to, excellent storage, quality bed linen. You pretty soon realise that the "ampersand" branding on all the amenities reflects more than just the hotel name - rather it symbolizes all the additional extras that combine to make this hotel the perfect city nest. We will be back in November.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank tui52
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2013

Thank you for your great review. I am delighted you had such a delightful stay. The beds are amazing and many guests have said they almost too comfortable! The whole team is happy they were able to make your stay a memorable one and we are eagerly awaiting your return in November.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our first trip together to London in October 2012. I found a deal through the travel website, Jetsetter. I was so happy with the room, I immediately took photos. This hotel is not only super clean, shiny and newly renovated, it is very convenient for seeing all the sites in London. Perfect homebase to explore. We relied solely on the tube for transportation and found it very easy to get to this hotel from the airport with our luggage. It's a very short walk from the Kensington station tube. We also felt very safe is this lovely area of London walking around during the day and night.

About the room: We stayed in a superior room. We really loved the bed! The wingback, cushy design is very chic. It's so comfortable that we literally did not want to get out of bed in the morning. The bathroom was spotless and the shower was a large and luxe glassed-in and tiled stall with an upgraded shower head. It was spotlessly clean and the cozy robes and slippers were a nice touch. There's also a french press in the room that we enjoyed for our morning coffee. I had also read that there might be an issue with noise as the tube supposedly runs under the hotel, but we found the hotel quiet and peaceful.

About afternoon tea: We also took part in the afternoon tea with champagne on our second afternoon there ... it was a real treat! We found a deal for the tea on the Lime & Tonic website. I really loved the decor of the tea room with its cushy, upholstered red chairs and teal accents. Very nice. The trays of goodies were also scrumptious (macaroons, cream and biscuits and so much more) and way more filling than we anticipated (my husband was actually full). The tea was delicious of course, and the service was fabulous. We really enjoyed our waiter--I wish I remembered his name.

All in all, we will definitely stay in this hotel on our next trip to London. I found its service and rooms to be far superior to those of the bigger hotel chains at the same price point. Loved it! Keep up the good work, Ampersand!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review of your recent stay with us. I am very pleased you not only enjoyed your room but also our afternoon tea, it is a real treat and hard to resist. I have shared your lovely comments with the entire team who love to hear they have added to your experience.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand when you are next in London.

Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

The Ampersand lived it up to its wonderful reviews. We stayed twice in two weeks while travelling through Europe and managed to get the same deluxe suite with balcony. The rooms are very modern and so clean and beautifully presented. Monogrammed towels, books by the bedside and even a cute little rubber duck in the bath as well as complimentary wi-fi and drinks in the mini bar. The hotel chef even made us a delicious meal that wasn't on the menu after we arrived from a long flight. The underground and plenty of restaurants/cafes are just steps away. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Ampersand - just wish I had of had enough time to stay for the High Tea!!

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank GPBug

Thank you for taking the time to review your stays with us.
I am delighted you had such enjoyable visits to the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back. Hopefully on your next stay you will be able to squeeze in Afternoon Tea in the Drawing Rooms.

Reviewed 14 June 2013

I just absolutely love the Ampersand. I found a great 3-for-2 deal on their site and decided to book based on so many positive reviews. Those reviews weren't wrong. I also booked an extra night as I was landing very early in the AM on Tuesday so I wanted to be sure I got a nap in after a long, overnight flight from NYC.

Well, that quick nap actually turned into 5 hours. lol. The bed is so comfortable, I just melted into it and was out like a light. Seriously, that bed is fantastic. But I have to also note that the staff is so kind & helpful. What a lovely welcome at the front desk and they were great about answering any questions I had about how to get around or where to direct you for things/restaurants.

I also had my very first Tea at the Ampersand. It's one of the things I'd never gotten to do on previous trips to the UK and Afternoon Tea at the Ampersand was lovely. We really enjoyed it and I've become quite the fan of it!

In the room itself, it was well sized for London. Now, being from New York, I'm used to tighter spaces so for me, the Deluxe Room was quite perfect. I would have loved a dresser in the room but it wasn't a big deal as I was only there for a few days. There is a French Press for your morning coffee. I could have squealed at the sight of it. Many places give you the instant stuff. Ick. The shower was as wonderful as the bed. Good water pressure is really important. They also had nice little touches like a loofah scrub and a sewing kit and anything else you might have needed.

On top of how great the hotel & its staff are, the LOCATION really can not be beat. It's right next to the S. Kensington station which gets you into the heart of most of the places you want to go or easily connects. There are many many options for food in the area as well. It's very close to museums and Hyde Park, about a 10-15 min stroll. And what a lovely stroll it is.

All in all, I'm really glad I chose the Ampersand for my London stay, and I'll be back there on my return to London. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am delighted you had such a wondeful stay. We appreciate all feedback and the team especially love knowing they made a difference.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand Hotel the next time you visit London.

Reviewed 13 June 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this excellent hotel. The staff is young and enthusiastic about the hotel. The restaurant was outstanding both for breakfast and dinners. The tea room is lovely. The location is great. We spent much time at the V&A museum and at the Kensington Palace and gardens.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank drshechter

Thank you for your great feedback.
I am pleased to share such wonderful comments with the entire team and very pleased you had such an enjoyable stay.