“You can never go wrong by staying here! Fabulously wonderful hotel - couldn't get better!!”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #43 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

This was one of the highlights and perfect ending to my summer vacation! Like my title says - u really can't go wrong by staying here. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT, its worth every penny. I loved this hotel, its got everything u might want - the English atmosphere you'd want to feel in London yet with a chic retro-ish twist, terrific friendly service, perfect location. The upside of it being a boutique hotel is its got its own uniqueness which u won't find staying anywhere else in London - and also its got the luxury as one would expect (but don't always see) staying in a 5 star hotel. I loved it...loved loved loved it. Can't say enough great things about this place...if ur trying to find a hotel to stay at THIS IS IT!!
Upon arrival the lady at the reception greeted us warmly & explained whats around and things like that, then gave us our key. Daniel - who's also so sweet & helpful, showed us to our room & explained a few things. He also gave us tips on where to watch the final champions league game. The room we stayed at was the Deluxe Room - it was fabulous. When I saw it I was overjoyed. Its a really beautiful spacious room, so warm & cozy, it has the most comfortable bed ever, its actually hard to leave in the morning. There are tea/coffee making facilities available, with home-made type delicious daily cookies. Their mini-bar is complimentary (water, sparkling water, juices, milk, coke/diet coke), and whenever something runs out u can just ask for more (which u won't actually need). I love those added things, they really make u want to come back to a certain place. The bathroom is also great, very spacious and has everything u need. The robes are so fluffy & even their slippers are too comfy. I was a little worried when I looked out the window & saw the view to be right next to a primary school, but trust me u can't hear a thing. It's not the least bit annoying, u can't even tell unless u look outside & for me it was actually a happy thought watching the kids outside. Rooms get cleaned twice a day. The free hotel Wifi is really good. The people at the reception are wonderful, so friendly and they do their best to help u out. Everyone's just super, always greeting u with a wonderful smile. Because it was mine & my husband's 3rd wedding anniversary they sent us a complimentary small box with the yummiest biscuits - so scrumptious. It was such a sweet gesture of them, I was even more ecstatic then & just felt like I'd already got my money's worth - these small details really do matter. I would recommend booking directly through the hotel, use the 3 for 2 nights offer. Its really really good & u save a lot if u want to stay here, we stayed for 7 nights (had to pay a lot more for the 1 extra) - but like I said its worth it. We didn't get breakfast included in our rate, i'm sure theirs is tasty but if u like trying out different places then this is the perfect location, there are so many delicious places around u can go to for breakfast or anytime actually.
The tube is literally just down the road, like less than 2 mins walk u just have to cross the side road. Around the tube there are loads of quick eats, really good breakfast places, many restaurants. There's a really delicious bakery/cake shop. There's also the usual Starbucks & Pret A Manger across the street from the tube station.
One of the hotel staff members - I can't remember what his name was, maybe Thomas, was so helpful in trying to get us last minute tickets to the lion king musical. All in all it was a perfect stay - I will definitely be back...hopefully soon (can't wait to come back)! I'm already recommending it to friends who might be going soon.

Room Tip: Book using the 3 for 2 nights offer! Totally worth it...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AreejDaoud

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

From the perspective of this frequent business traveler, this was one of the best hotel experiences I've had in a very long time. The location was perfect. The rooms were small but comfortable (with a complimentary minibar - who gives you a complimentary minibar???). The staff were to a person pleasant, helpful, friendly and engaging (and seemed genuinely interested in every traveler and their trip).

The value was incredible. London can be so expensive and this was so reasonable. I would have expected a price twice as much as we paid.

The neighborhood is great. Lots of food choices very closeby as is the Underground (South Kensington station, a direct connection to Heathrow and Picadilly Circus). The hop on/hop off bus tour stops outside the door.

I cannot think in one thing I would change about it. Perfect!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Bogota, Colombia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013 via mobile

The hotel was really nice, it is located next to the south Kensington tube, and for those who haven't been to London this is a very pretty neighborhood. It also has a bus stop in the corner where you can go to and from Piccadilly at day or night.

The people who attended us where great. The breakfast is good as well.

We couldn't use the game room because the room was occupied due to some external events :(

The room was small but very nice, bed was big, the bathroom had independent sound so you could hear the tv from inside, the bathroom floor had heat so it was a warm touch, the decoration is very nice.

Overall great choice

• Stayed June 2013
Florence, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have stayed 3 days at this great hotel, conveniently located next to South Kensington tube station (if you arrive from Heathrow airport the tube will take you here in 30 minutes), the Victoria & Albert Museum, Knightsbridge and Harrods. It is a beautiful place, with free WiFi, a complimentary mini-bar and great facilities. The area is very lively and full of restaurants, bars and cafes. Staff is friendly and the tall red haired lady at the Reception is a God-send.
Can't wait to be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Bangor, N Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

Firstly, the location is perfect for accessing all areas of London by tube which is really nearby. The staff were lovely, pleasant and friendly,the decor was fresh and dean but in a cosy way. Max had arranged for our room ready for us to use to freshen up after our flight as we going to Wimbledon as I had emailed them the night before. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

This has to be the quintessential boutique hotel - stylish and chic without pretension. The room was spacious and comfortable, the service warm and friendly and decor exquisite. A short stroll from South Kensington tube stop and close to the museums and high street shopping. The tea salon or drawing room is gorgeous and the library is stocked with the most interesting reads, all selected by a local book seller. The breakfast in the basement eatery was terrific, original and simple. The decor and objets d'art flavor the decor and make this a unique experience. Sure, its not at the cheap end of the range of accommodation in London but worth it. Also surprisingly quiet given the buzz in the streets around the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank traceyj1
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I spent three weeks at the Ampersand in May and found it to be an excellent hotel in every way. Firstly, and most important I think, the location was excellent.......1 minutes walk to the South Kensington tube station (on the Piccadilly, Circle & District lines,) 1 min walk to bus stops servicing several areas of London and a taxi rank right out the front of the hotel. My room was lovely, being fresh, modern & clean. Beautiful bed & pillows (I even looked at the brand tag to see if I could buy them in Australia), and a modern bathroom with a great shower nozzle plus an extra hand-held spray, heated flooring and heated mirror as swell as a magnifying makeup mirror. Fresh milk, water, juice and soft drinks were complimentary and re stocked every day. It is these little extras that make a difference I think. The restaurant, bar and tea room were wonderful. I often sat in the tea room with a cuppa late in the afternoon writing in my diary whilst waiting for my daughter to meet me after work. It was fun looking out the window watching the world go by. What can I say about the staff? Well, they were really lovely people.....very friendly, courteous and helpful (Hi to Sam, Alberto, Thomas & Miriam). Can't fault this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo