“Pretty much faultless”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I've just spent 3 nights in a Deluxe room here and I have to day that it was fantastic. The staff were friendly and helpful and every request we had was met promptly (including an ice bucket and glasses for the champagnes we'd brought with us).

The room was clean and, for London, fairly spacious with a lovely modern design which has some lovely little touches. The hotel itself is in a great location, literally 30 seconds walk from South Kensington tube station.

My only complaint is that the bacon sandwich I ordered as breakfast one morning wasn't quite to my taste. Other than that it was perfect. Would most definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in July with my husband and stayed in a deluxe room. It was perfect.

The room and hotel were both stunning and the beds were so comfortable. The service from all the staff was impeccable and the reception staff were very friendly and welcomjng. The hotel was classy but not at all stuffy.

We had breakfast at the apero each morning which was delicious and good value. We also had an evening meal there which was superb, especially the beetroot risotto and the red mullet.

The location is fantastic especially for the museums.

We would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to others and will stay again when back in london

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Flying into London early one freezing June morning, I arrived at The Ampersand Hotel at around 6.30am. The night staff were still on duty and quickly arranged a cup of tea in the lounge and shortly after a room in which I could shower and change. Over my 3 night stay, the staff consistently offered outstanding service. Arriving back from a day of sightseeing my Deluxe ground floor, front room was available. The room was beautifully appointed and spacious. The bathroom was large and wheelchair accessible (not necessary for me). Unfortunately this room felt like it was directly over the subway (the hotel is conveniently close to the South Kensington tube station). Heading back to reception, I asked if it was possible to change rooms. Again, the staff were delightful. They didn't have a room available in the Deluxe category but were very happy to show me a smaller room on a higher level and then move me to a larger room for the remaining two nights. I accepted! This room was much smaller and towards the back of the hotel but certainly adequate for 1 person (although my suitcase had to sit in front of the entrance door). I wouldn't recommend this size room for 2 people unless they travel extremely lightly! My (Deluxe) room for the remaining two nights was at the front of the hotel on a higher floor and was extremely comfortable - it looked exactly like the photos from their website.
The only meal I ate at the hotel was breakfast, choosing the buffet option, which had a great range of cereals, pastries, fruit and dairy.
I used the gym on only one day and to be honest, this was the only disappointing aspect of the hotel's facilities. It was in the basement, with no natural light and not enough ventilation (it smelt damp & mouldy). As stated on the hotel's website, there a 3 pieces of cardio equipment and a free weights area. The latter was tiny and really only enough room for one person to workout (there were 3 of us in the gym at one stage).
The location in South Kensington is so convenient with the tube a two minute walk away and so many of London's attractions at or close to your doorstep.
My experience at The Ampersand was wonderful. Highly recommended!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if subway noise / vibration worries you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here for one night on a trip to London for my birthday, and I may be slightly biased in my review as my boyfriend proposed to me on the balcony of our room :)

Quite apart from the proposal, we found the service to be wonderful and the room gorgeous - huge bed, two televisions, a well-appointed bathroom with fantastic toiletries and of course the balcony with a beautiful jasmine bush in bloom was amazing. And it's only a few minutes walk away from South Kensington tube station and several restaurants and cafes for food.

Next time we're in London we'll definitely stay here!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travel_fan_aussie
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The Ampersand is a charming boutique hotel in South Kensington most conveniently located just steps away from the South Ken Tube station. We stayed in a Deluxe Studio which is spacious, having its own sitting area and a king size bed. The decor is modern baroque in strong primary colours. The bathroom was particularly huge, which is unusual for London. Loved the cute baby blue rubber duckie that you could take home. The hotel is located in an area filled with restaurants (the hotel has its own restaurant in the basement but we didn't eat our meals there other than for one breakfast) and is minutes away from The Natural History Museum and the V&A. Hyde Park is a 10-minute walk away and there are quite a few Barclays bike stations near the hotel if you feel like renting a bike (which we did). Would strongly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the street as it would be quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for one night in November last year, it first caught my eye as it had been recently refurbished and was in a nice area of London close to the tube. It did not disappoint, it was a lovely modern hotel, the decor was gorgeous and not overdone. The basement was home to the restaurant and I would highly recommend, our food was delicious. The bedrooms although ours was a bit small was very comfortable and had everything you needed. I would also recommend a little cafe opposite the hotel across from the tube Muriels kitchen which was also delicious for lunch or a coffee, if I was to visit London again I would definitely stay here, no question!

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Misslilly60
Reviewed 13 August 2013

The hotel, from the first greeting to the last check out goodbye, is a winner. Staff are friendly and helpful, the restaurant fare, including high teas, are worthwhile. The rooms are classical yet modern, with the bird and music theme keeping an air of lighthearted comfort. Easy access to the museums, South Kensington station, and Royal Albert Hall, all made this hotel doubly perfect. The neighborhood is fine, with shops, bus stops and restaurants. We are pleased that we chose the Ampersand Hotel. When compared to other equally convenient accommodation locations, the value for this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends