“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #50 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Montpellier, France
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We spent a week-end with my wife in the Ampersand. Very nice experience. The hotel is very well located, easy to reach by taxi, bus or metro. It is very close to some museums and there are plenty of restaurants in a walking distance. The decoration of the hotel is very nice, and it has been fully refurbished a couple of years ago.The staff at the reception was very helpful and had very good restaurant's recommendations for the dinner. The breakfast in the restaurant which is downstair is good but nothing special. But again, you have plenty of options around the hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Polo67FR
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your support and lovely comments, we are all pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for one night whilst visiting family in London. It's in a great location, within yards of South Kensington tube station and is great for visiting the V&A museum, the Science museum, the Royal Albert Hall and the Natural History Museum.
The room was so cosy and comfortable. All the details were perfect. The furnishings are modern and cool, but not too minimalist.
I had my family visit me at the hotel.
We had a cream tea in the tea room, which was delicious and a good price. And we also ate dinner in the hotel, but in the restaurant in the basement. Again, the food was very good.
There is a games room in the basement with table tennis, and various board games.
I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. I am delighted you had such an enjoyable stay and were able to sample all we had to offer from The Drawing Rooms to Apero.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand the next time you are in London.

Centereach, New York
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in the equally beautiful neighborhood of South Kensington. My husband and I stayed there for a week in September and I have to say the staff were wonderful and went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. The room, although small was beautifully decorated and very clean and comfortable. The spa robes and slippers were a lovely touch. The location was perfect, right across the street from the South Kensington Tube Station, just a few stops away from the heart of the city and walking distance to all the museums. So easy to get around. There were plenty of restaurants and coffee shops within walking distance. I would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: As the rooms are small I would definitely advise booking a Superior room for a couple if you are pla...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments. The team and I are thrilled you had such an enjoyable stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

As a birthday gift I took my friend and I to The Drawing Room at The Ampersand Hotel.

We arrived a little early but were made to feel very welcome and were offered drinks whilst we waited. The waiter was very nice, polite and professional. He even apologised to us for not being able to order sooner as all the goodies were still being baked. Fresh, out the oven mouth watering goodies!

Once we had ordered, it wasn't long until this marvellous tiered eye-opener arrived. We didn't know were to start! Every flavour was delicious, the presentation was beautiful and you could see that time and care were taken in this afternoon delight.

It was a wonderful day, surrounded by lovely décor, tasty food and tea/champagne, good service and of course company. Will definitely be back! Thank you to all that made the afternoon perfect.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Weekend in London to enjoy Museums and a concert at Wembley Arena. Two middle-years adults that stay in hotels rarely but value a great city-break.
First of all, I will pay for great location in major cities, and I rate The Ampersand as a top location. Real handy for Natural history museum and the V+A. South Kensington tube is 2 minutes away and is a good spot on the tube to get places.Good local eateries catering to most tastes, although we didn't go up-market. Recommend Martha's kitchen for good wholesome food in a buzzy cafe atmosphere.
The Hotel was good in every measure we have. Big comfy bed/ friendly check-in staff/ room felt like a "comfy-cave" / staff made things easy/ umbrellas provided at the entrance (handy..)
So 5 stars as we would only improve things by paying half the price, and that is fantasy land in London, quite understandably.
So if you value this location and want a great spot to bed-up, I heartedly recommend The Ampersand
Oh, and I got to learn what the name signified too, and it's great to learn something new every day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephenpullan
Its Not Like Cumbria
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed at the Ampersand Hotel for the 3rd time, each time has been a good experience. Rooms have always been clean & well equipped, nice touch with a few drinks in the fridge. Little bit pricy but like they say you get what you pay for

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Winchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

The Ampersand hotel is a nice modern hotel which i was excited about staying in, however it's not as polished as it needs to be (esp given the price). Great location, high tech gadgets in the rooms and decor is lovely. This gadgetry comes with a price as rooms are lit up like Xmas trees at night. They are noisy too with clicking and an air conditioning system you can't switch off. The tv system is also high tech but alas failed to work on our first evening. They fixed it but not before 2 staff fiddled about in the room (while we are sat on our dressing gowns). I have to agree that the staff don't seem well trained. Worse was breakfast. It was included on our rate. However when we came down we were met by what seemed to be some fairly miserable staff. Nothing was explained and I had to ask for a menu. Once ordered (bacon sandwich and salmon/eggs for my partner) we had some bread/pastries. We were then presented a bill. I said breakfast was included and they said yes but not hot items. Neither the check in staff nor the miserable breakfast staff cared to mention it. I complained and asked to cancel the order. They didn't really apologise but gave us the food complimentary. A nice gesture.... However while the salmon/eggs was ok the bacon sandwich was awful. The meat was extremely fatty (like 49-50% fat) however I decided not to complain further..... Would probably not stay again and given the price it was not nearly as good as it should have been.

• Stayed October 2013