“Fabulous place!”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had a great stay at the Ampersand, and wish I could have stayed longer. Location, room, staff, and restaurant were all excellent. I had duck at the restaurant, and it was superbly prepared. The cocktails were delicious, and the wine selection was good. My room was lean, comfortable, and a good size (I had a double room). The photos on the web site accurately represented the room I got. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your great review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and had a chance not only to stay but also sample the delights of Apero, our restaurant. I very much look forward to personally welcoming you back in the future hopefully for longer stay.

There are newer reviews for The Ampersand Hotel

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The design details are really impressive, a truly British modern style with kind professional staff and superb continental breakfast; the lobby is comfy, bright and perfectly clean with fresh flowers and luxury details. The hotel is very centrally located at really few steps from the South Kensington underground and main bus lines. The real concern was the single room which is as small as advertised: 11 sqm which means 9 sqm bedroom and 2 sqm bathrom but you cannot really understand it till you're inside and you bump into the bed while entering! (no pics on the website). There is literally only 2 feet of space around the queen size bed. Not even enough room for the suitcase and the (many) extra bed pillows. No room for anything else at all including shoes.... Not even a hook on the back of the door for my coat (not needing space at all, therefore a real lack of attention for the single room). I was traveling on business for a 2-day trip but I could not put other clothes in the wardrobe if I would have stayed more. You can also hear all noise from the hallway (room 304). Moreover you need to carefully plan your shower before you enter the bathroom (the shower door does not open onwards for a standard size guest....forget it if you're overweighted!) .... Really not rewarding for the price you pay and for what you expect from a luxury hotel... I mean, these hotels should not offer similar inappropriate rooms to gain more guests. I also visited the superior double room, which is a standard room (regarding size) in any other 5-star hotel ... the problem is then the space and the number of rooms at any cost then.......Everyone loves the amenities (great! including the bath sets and the luxurious breakfast and amazing furnishings), but what about the basics? .... should make one think....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MGC2203

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Ampersand. I appreicate your feedback with regards to the design of the single rooms and will certainly look into making some changes to accommodate your recommendations.
I am pleased you enjoyed the great location of the hotel and the service provided by the team.
Should you wish to stay at The Ampersand please contact me directly, I would be delighted to assist you with your stay.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I checked in yesterday. We picked this hotel because we wanted somewhere special for his birthday trip. I won't repeat what other reviewers have said.

Room wasn't ready even though we arrived after the check-in time. Front desk showed us to the cafe for a coffee while we waited. The guy Alberto who took care of our bags and later took us to our room was very pleasant and helpful. He later brought up a small box of sweets and a card with birthday wishes. However, the lady who checked us in I found to be a bit curt. Perhaps this is part of the culture, or perhaps I shouldn't compare it to the Osaka Ritz Carlton since the Japanese are well known for their warm hospitality and willingness to go all out. I'd asked her for a running map (I'd read that the hotel provides guests with a running map upon request) - the lady curtly said they don't have one, the park is a short walk away and that I could run as much as I want there. She then literally handed me a brochure which opened up into a massive london map without so much as pointing to me where the location of the hotel and the way to the park. I gave up after a few minutes and threw it away and decided google map would be a better bet. That was disappointing.

Room
We'd booked a deluxe studio. We didn't get an upgrade like other couples who were celebrating something special did. But that's ok because we did pay for a deluxe studio. We had however hoped for a higher floor room for a bit of the Mary Poppins view the hotel boasts of on their website. Our room is in front so it is a little noisy and other reviewers are right about the sound of the tube and plumbing noises. But we're not too bothered by either with the curtains drawn.

Otherwise, the room and bathroom are wonderful. Bed and pillows are softer than what we like but are incredibly comfortable. The room is like what all other reviewers say and is larger than what the photos show. The lights are a little odd but didn't annoy me like they did other patrons. There's a tv in the tub which is great. The toiletries are smell wonderful. A lot of thought has gone into the design of the room. There's ample storage space and plug points. We were pleasantly surprised to find the little book shelf with books which was only visible if one sat on the arm chair at the corner of the room.

Gym
Gym is small but adequate. Each of the four machine has a working screen which provides tv, radio, games and web access. There're free weights and some sort of a weights machine. Water and towels are provided too.

Location
Location is perfect with lots of wonderful restaurants and cafes nearby and is so near the tube.

I'd not hesitate to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I am sorry you experienced some service issues and will be sure to share your comments with the whole team. We try very hard to make everyone's stay with us special and whilst we were unable to upgrade on this occasion I am glad you had a lovely stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to should you return to London.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I booked The Ampersand through Mr and Mrs Smith and secured a great rate with 2 glasses of complimentary champagne thrown in. It was a special occasion as it was to celebrate my husband's birthday. From the moment we arrived, we were looked after exceptionally well. All the staff are friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel knew about the birthday celebration as I had mentioned it at the time of booking and on arrival we discovered that we had been upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor. This was a real treat......the suite was tastefully furnished with a little kitchenette with its own Nespresso machine, microwave and fridge. All the soft drinks in the mini bar were complimentary and it made a nice change to have proper milk in the mini bar for teas and coffees. The Ampersand really know how to spoil their guests and ensure you leave feeling that your stay, for whatever reason, was good value for money and not a complete rip off. In our case, we left feeling relaxed and refreshed ! The Hotel is perfectly located near South Ken tube and is very central for Knightsbridge (15 min walk) or by tube to the Kings Road / High Street Ken. We would definitely recommend it and will most certainly return in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and there was minimal traffic noise and no noise at all from other guests...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thank you for your great review. We are thrilled we were able to make your husband's birthday treat such a special occasion. We try our best to look after all of our guests so it is rewarding for all of us to receive such a glowing review.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The perfect place to stay. Outstanding service, staff, beautifully modern + stylish rooms, incredibly creative and whimsical design all over. Amazing little touches like the free mini bar. Spotlessly clean, too.
Great downstairs'salon', the Drawing Rooms, as the heart of the hotel provides an oasis for guests at any time of the day, be it for tea or cocktails or simply for having a quiet read.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is always a pleasure to share such lovely comments with the team who try their best to ensure your entire stay is a fantastic experience.
We all look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We stayed for two nights, the hotel had a relaxed atmosphere and was stylishly furnished. The bedroom was a little small for a superior double and was too warm. We booked a high floor as the feedback on Tripadvisor mentioned the tube noise, this solution worked well. Easy walking distances to lots of attractions such as the museums and good value for such a central location.

Room Tip: If you like a quiet room go for a high floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your great review. I am pleased you had a great stay with us and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand in the future.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Was specifically looking for a hotel which could accommodate three of us (inc our 10 year old daughter). We saw the good reviews and as the hotel had a 3 nights for 2 offer, this seemed a good deal for us. Many hotels were charging more as most required us to book bigger rooms and many nice hotels were charging well over £300 a night. We had a choice of deluxe studio or 1 bed suite and opted to pay slightly more for the suite. This mean up daughter would have a little privacy whilst being with us.

We booked our 3 night stay in Oct half term which was a busy time to travel and prob prices were higher.

As we exited from the underground we immediately saw the hotel which was just down road. We were there in about 2 mins and were greeted by a man on the door who asked if we needed help, we didn't. He showed us to reception where we greeted by a friendly receptionist. After a quick check-in the concierge man told us he'd take us to our room which was on floor 4. We entered and he talked us through the light system and all the facilities of the room. We were immediately wowed by everything. We had 2 rooms separated by a small corridor. My daughter had a pull out sofa bed in what was the lounge and we had a room with balcony and fill length windows which made the room lovely and bright. There was also a kitchenette which featured a microwave, nespresso machine, toaster, kettle and lots of glasses cutlery and plates. There was also a fridge which contained drinks. We were told we could help ourselves to soft drinks for free.

The bathroom was lovely and modern and had a heated floor plus selection of toiletries and little extras. There were also 2 small wardrobes and a safe. Our bed was extremely comfy as we're the lovely pillows.

We loved having the balcony as we could go out and look out onto the street - would be great in summer. We noticed not many rooms had balconies though so I guess they just come with the suites or maybe a handful of rooms.

All in all we had an absolutely fantastic stay. We were always greeted by the friendly staff. Our room was made up every day and fully replenished with new coffee, tea and soft drinks. I didn't like the earl grey and other teas on offer but left a message for housekeeping and that day got a good supply of English breakfast teas.

Also they bought up a box of biscuit treats for my husband as it was his birthday. We had only told them as they asked and this was a lovely surprise.

The hotel always seemed quiet and we never heard other guests. The only issue was the road was quite noisy as the buses and taxis used it a lot and tended to hoot their horns a lot. However the soundproofing was quite good and this didnt affect us too much. Also we could hear the sound of the tubes and occasionally feel a slight vibration but again nothing that affected our sleep as they stopped around midnight I think.

For breakfast we tended to walk to the choice of lovely bakeries and bought food back to our room to eat in our lounge area where we had a table and chairs to sit at. There was also a lovely cafe down the road but this always seemed very busy.

Location was great, very near tube and a short walk to natural history museum and other museums.

So would I go back. Yes if we got another deal and if we could stay in a suite again as we had plenty of space. Also we might consider asking for a room on the back as this would eliminate any noises from outside.

We loved this hotel as it was modern and clean and bright. You are always going to get noise in the centre of London so I don't think we could find anything better for the price paid for the three of us.

Room Tip: Opt for a suite if you want a separate living area or if you have kids with you. Also ask for a back...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your wonderful review. The team and I are delighted you and your family had such a great stay. I am pleased we were able to give your husband a birthday treat. All of the suites in the hotel have a balcony where you can enjoy the view over the roof tops of South Kensington.
I look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.