“Outstanding, superb, stay no where else”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Just typing this review out in the apero rest. My stay has been outstanding. Free wifi throughout, complimentary water and juice in room, huge rooms, for London. Quite, quaint. The staff superb, knowledgable and super friendly.

Location is perfect. Hyde park across the road. Albert hall as well.

Seriously don't stay anywhere else.

I'm making this joint a regular.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2013

Thank you for your great review. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you back at The Ampersand soon.

Roberto

Write a ReviewReviews (3,490)

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I can only echo other reviewers: great design, helpful staff, proper shower and good bed. Only complaint would be the very small room, also by London standards. In my room 514 there was not place to hang jackets etc. But all the rest was just brilliant. I will be back.

They do have a good deal with a limousine company. A Heathrow transfer (we had E-class Mercedes with a very friendly driver) for 2 persons will be cheaper than Heathrow Express + Paddington taxi. As mentioned tube station is 2 minute walk and plenty of classy restaurants in Kensington area.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for your great comments. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with. The Deluxe rooms vary slightly within the room type so some are larger than others, if you let us know upon booking your preferences we will try our very best to ensure you are not allocated this room in the future.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand the next time you are in London. Do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Just had a lovely few days at the Ampersand. With it's great location and chic design it was perfect for a luxury base for our London visit.

The room, although small, was extremely comfortable and had all the accessories you would expect from a five star hotel. All the staff were extremely courteous and friendly and always had a smile and a friendly word whatever time of day. The bar staff in particular we're excellent and were chatty and friendly as they worked.

100 yards away from the underground station and surrounded by numerous cafés, restaurant and bars, it was the ideal location for our stay.

We would recommend the Ampersand to anybody.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay. The whole team is thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back next you are in London.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

I had a great stay at the Ampersand, and wish I could have stayed longer. Location, room, staff, and restaurant were all excellent. I had duck at the restaurant, and it was superbly prepared. The cocktails were delicious, and the wine selection was good. My room was lean, comfortable, and a good size (I had a double room). The photos on the web site accurately represented the room I got. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your great review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and had a chance not only to stay but also sample the delights of Apero, our restaurant. I very much look forward to personally welcoming you back in the future hopefully for longer stay.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

The design details are really impressive, a truly British modern style with kind professional staff and superb continental breakfast; the lobby is comfy, bright and perfectly clean with fresh flowers and luxury details. The hotel is very centrally located at really few steps from the South Kensington underground and main bus lines. The real concern was the single room which is as small as advertised: 11 sqm which means 9 sqm bedroom and 2 sqm bathrom but you cannot really understand it till you're inside and you bump into the bed while entering! (no pics on the website). There is literally only 2 feet of space around the queen size bed. Not even enough room for the suitcase and the (many) extra bed pillows. No room for anything else at all including shoes.... Not even a hook on the back of the door for my coat (not needing space at all, therefore a real lack of attention for the single room). I was traveling on business for a 2-day trip but I could not put other clothes in the wardrobe if I would have stayed more. You can also hear all noise from the hallway (room 304). Moreover you need to carefully plan your shower before you enter the bathroom (the shower door does not open onwards for a standard size guest....forget it if you're overweighted!) .... Really not rewarding for the price you pay and for what you expect from a luxury hotel... I mean, these hotels should not offer similar inappropriate rooms to gain more guests. I also visited the superior double room, which is a standard room (regarding size) in any other 5-star hotel ... the problem is then the space and the number of rooms at any cost then.......Everyone loves the amenities (great! including the bath sets and the luxurious breakfast and amazing furnishings), but what about the basics? .... should make one think....

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank MGC2203

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Ampersand. I appreicate your feedback with regards to the design of the single rooms and will certainly look into making some changes to accommodate your recommendations.
I am pleased you enjoyed the great location of the hotel and the service provided by the team.
Should you wish to stay at The Ampersand please contact me directly, I would be delighted to assist you with your stay.

Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I checked in yesterday. We picked this hotel because we wanted somewhere special for his birthday trip. I won't repeat what other reviewers have said.

Room wasn't ready even though we arrived after the check-in time. Front desk showed us to the cafe for a coffee while we waited. The guy Alberto who took care of our bags and later took us to our room was very pleasant and helpful. He later brought up a small box of sweets and a card with birthday wishes. However, the lady who checked us in I found to be a bit curt. Perhaps this is part of the culture, or perhaps I shouldn't compare it to the Osaka Ritz Carlton since the Japanese are well known for their warm hospitality and willingness to go all out. I'd asked her for a running map (I'd read that the hotel provides guests with a running map upon request) - the lady curtly said they don't have one, the park is a short walk away and that I could run as much as I want there. She then literally handed me a brochure which opened up into a massive london map without so much as pointing to me where the location of the hotel and the way to the park. I gave up after a few minutes and threw it away and decided google map would be a better bet. That was disappointing.

Room
We'd booked a deluxe studio. We didn't get an upgrade like other couples who were celebrating something special did. But that's ok because we did pay for a deluxe studio. We had however hoped for a higher floor room for a bit of the Mary Poppins view the hotel boasts of on their website. Our room is in front so it is a little noisy and other reviewers are right about the sound of the tube and plumbing noises. But we're not too bothered by either with the curtains drawn.

Otherwise, the room and bathroom are wonderful. Bed and pillows are softer than what we like but are incredibly comfortable. The room is like what all other reviewers say and is larger than what the photos show. The lights are a little odd but didn't annoy me like they did other patrons. There's a tv in the tub which is great. The toiletries are smell wonderful. A lot of thought has gone into the design of the room. There's ample storage space and plug points. We were pleasantly surprised to find the little book shelf with books which was only visible if one sat on the arm chair at the corner of the room.

Gym
Gym is small but adequate. Each of the four machine has a working screen which provides tv, radio, games and web access. There're free weights and some sort of a weights machine. Water and towels are provided too.

Location
Location is perfect with lots of wonderful restaurants and cafes nearby and is so near the tube.

I'd not hesitate to stay again in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us.
I am sorry you experienced some service issues and will be sure to share your comments with the whole team. We try very hard to make everyone's stay with us special and whilst we were unable to upgrade on this occasion I am glad you had a lovely stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to should you return to London.

Reviewed 6 November 2013

I booked The Ampersand through Mr and Mrs Smith and secured a great rate with 2 glasses of complimentary champagne thrown in. It was a special occasion as it was to celebrate my husband's birthday. From the moment we arrived, we were looked after exceptionally well. All the staff are friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel knew about the birthday celebration as I had mentioned it at the time of booking and on arrival we discovered that we had been upgraded to a suite on the 5th floor. This was a real treat......the suite was tastefully furnished with a little kitchenette with its own Nespresso machine, microwave and fridge. All the soft drinks in the mini bar were complimentary and it made a nice change to have proper milk in the mini bar for teas and coffees. The Ampersand really know how to spoil their guests and ensure you leave feeling that your stay, for whatever reason, was good value for money and not a complete rip off. In our case, we left feeling relaxed and refreshed ! The Hotel is perfectly located near South Ken tube and is very central for Knightsbridge (15 min walk) or by tube to the Kings Road / High Street Ken. We would definitely recommend it and will most certainly return in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th floor and there was minimal traffic noise and no noise at all from other guests...