“Wonderful boutique experience”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 December 2013

In this imaginatively and beautifully decorated hotel you will receive a warm welcome from friendly staff. My room had a music decor and nice walk-in rain shower. Location is great right accross from SKensington tube station.
I greatly enjoyed the drawing room where I enjoyed a drink, tea looked delicious! I recomend the hotel for business, couples and families alike.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (3,491)

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Professional, young, helpful and enthusiastic staff. Nice rooms, with good quality beds and pillows. Nice bathroom with shower. Good airco system. Breakfast room also very nice (not standard), good choice and quality of food. Also good place for business meeting or relaxing with coffee and pastries.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We stayed at The Ampersand as a belated 40th weekend away for my husband, we went up with another couple.
We booked through Booking.com as a package as we went to a show while we were in London.
The rooms that were available when I booked were 1 x standard double and 1 x superior double. The only criticism I have for the whole weekend/hotel is that the standard double (room 2) was tiny and the view was not good. The superior double was a much better room size and a great view (room 514 I think it was).
However on saying that we did not spend much time at all in our rooms.
The staff were so lovely, very polite and helpful and the overall experience of being at this hotel was excellent.
It is walking distance to The Natural History Museum (which was beautiful with all the decorations up for Christmas), walking distance to Knightsbridge and the South Kensington tube is very close to the hotel.
Lots of amenities close by.
The restaurant at the hotel where we had brunch was also excellent with very polite lovely staff.

Room Tip: Superior double, standard double very small (although we only saw one of these rooms)
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cjdjHampshire
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Brilliant location and service. Well worth a visit. Close to the underground and near to lots of good restaurants. Staff very helpful. Good value rate and very nice rooms. Great cocktail bar with good choice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I always choose to stay at The Ampersand when visiting London. It's a beautifully decorated hotel in a great location and the staff are very friendly and professional. I've never had any disappointments during my stays there

Reviewed 14 December 2013

It was our annual get together, my daughter and my sister and myself. We normally stay in Edinburgh but we decided to indulge ourselves with a stay at The Ampersand Hotel in South Kensington. The hotel was meant as a perfect base for a visit to the museums, but the hotel itself turned out to be a wonderful experience. We stayed in one of the suites which was ample size for the three of us. The Drawing Room was wonderful - all those cakes -and the waiter extremely patient and helpful. We also sampled the good and cocktails in Apero downstairs. Again, our experience was first class. The hotel were most helpful in arranging a driver to collect my sister from the airport, which saved a lot of stress on both sides - though we were right across the road from the tube station as it turned out. Overall - a bit on the pricey side - but for a one off treat - definitely worth it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2013

Pros: Great Area - south kensington tube nearby, several museums, restaurants and coffee shops
Cons: traffic is a mess there - use the tube, if it is working

Pros: Allowed me to checkin early
Cons: Charged me to do so = 1/2 of room rate for checking in 2 hours early

Pros: forgot my charger - allowed me to use one no charge
Cons: none

Pros: Clean Superior Room - nice bathroom.
Cons:LOUD WALL SHAKING NOISE AT 1 AM!!! This continued off an on for about an hour! Called the front desk - I put the phone to the wall, desk manager said he could hear it - it then stopped, he said to call back if happened again - I did - they didn't seem surprised. Offered to move us to another room to sleep - really @ 1 AM! We said no - just make the noise stop! They should NOT have sold that room aware of the noise!!!

Can't fit a chair in front of the desk - NO ROOM! A desk where you can NOT sit to do any work - really???
There is not enough room between the end of the bed and the desk to fit a chair! Barely enough room to walk. But too much room to sit on the bed and work at the desk! Take some room from bathroom, so a chair can fit at the desk!!!

Just 2 bath towels for 2 people in bathroom. Don't take a shower at night and AM or you will use the same damp towel in the AM!!!

This is a cute themed boutique hotel in a great area. Make sure you are not in room 509 or higher!!! There is a noise in the wall that wakes the dead!!

Not well insulated - we could hear street noise quite clearly.

Employees are very friendly and nice.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 509 or on the 5th floor near room 509!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank jelliclegypsy
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us as we appreciate all guest feedback.
As it was important for you to be able to access the room prior to the 2pm arrival time, the room was reserved for the night prior to your arrival. Whilst we try to accommodate all guest requests for an early arrival it is not something we can guarantee unless this is done.
I am sorry you were disturbed during the night, please rest assured had we been aware there was a maintenance issue with this room we would not have placed anyone in this room. I am pleased, since your stay with us, this issue has been resolved.
We pride ourselves on providing all guests requests and had we been aware you would have like extra towels or turndown service we would have been happy to oblige. I have noted all of your requests and preferences for any future stays at The Ampersand to ensure you have a much better stay with us.
I am pleased you found the team to be friendly and pleasant and very much look forward to welcoming you back. Please do not hesitate me directly should you like any assistance with future reservations.

Kind regards