“Stylish and welcoming without pretention”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #47 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Auckland
“Stylish and welcoming without pretention”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

A lovely hotel in a great location. Charming staff who were very welcoming and helpful and accommodating. Very quiet rooms. Good value for us having interconnecting rooms, one with generous twin beds and an extra bed, so our family of 5 including 3 teenage adult-sized children were able to very much enjoy staying here together on our last night of a fantastic trip to London.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for your fantastic review. I am pleased you and your family had a great stay with us.
Hopefully next time you are in London you will be able stay a little longer rather than a flying visit.

Roberto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 December 2013

This is a fantastic hotel in the heart of London. My wife and I spent a couple of nights here, enjoyed a Christmas afternoon tea that would put the Ritz or Savoy to shame and the staff were just wonderful. The only slight let down was the breakfast where the best bet is to go a la carte unless you have a huge appetite for the full English or want to pay £12 for a somewhat disappointing selection for continental breakfast. Apart from this, fantastic!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Roberto P, General Manager at The Ampersand Hotel, responded to this review, 21 December 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. I am delighted your stay with us was an enjoyable experience. Ji Sun is an amazing chef and is passionate about her creative afternon teas and ensuring every one of them is special.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand Hotel in the near future.

Norway
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Stayed in the cheapest double room, priced at £174 for 1 night (booking.com). Not that cheap if you ask me. And the room is very small! The room hardly fits a double bed, a small double bed I might ad. The smallest hotel room I have ever seen! The bathroom however is not small but ok.

The room is nice designed. Desk is like the room, very small! There also is a window in the room. Yeah you guessed right, it's very small too! I ordered a steak from roomservice. And "surprise", it was also very small. But the bill was not... It was very expensive food, £20,80! It was too much muchrooms and the chips were way too big. I like my chips "Mcdonald's size" not "tree size". Chips was not so good either. But the steak was good.

WARNING:
They rip you off when you pay. They didn't ask me if I wanted to pay the room with my local currency or £, they choosed NOK of course. If I pay with my local currency (NOK) they earn more money (depends on how long you stay). It's not loads of money but it's important how you are presenting yourself as a hotel to the customers. And this is very unprofessional! This is only the second hotel I've experienced in all my life who has done this! Only when I asked I knew that I was paying in NOK, I told the guy immediately that I wanted to pay in £. He was not happy..

I have stayed in many hotels all around the world. The bed is very important and for the most part I sleep very well in all hotels at all price ranges. Only a few times the bed has not been good and it happened again at this hotel.

(+):
-nice designed room
-refrigerator with room for your own stuff
-internet included

-bed
-very small room
-very small window
-very small desk
-roomservice: food is very expensive and very small steak
-roomservice: chips are too big and not so good
-roomservice: said they come in 15 min. but they came after 40 min. and forgot beer.
-guy with a attitude at check out
-they didn't ask me if I want to pay in £ or my local currency (at both check in/out)
-temperature adjustment is not working properly
-location is a bit shabby
-room is a little dark even with all the lights on

So this hotel was not as good as I thought. I expected more from a hotel that's among the best hotels in London!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Trondheim10
Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed review. We appreciate all guest comments as they allow us the opportunity to improve on the service we offer to all of our guests. Please rest assured all of your feedback has been shared with the entire team to ensure we make improvements in the areas you have indicated.
We feel we are honest about the size of all of our bedrooms and it is clearly displayed at the time of booking to try and ensure you are not disappointed upon arrival. As you stayed in a room on a high floor the windows are smaller than those on the lower floors.
It is the hotel standard to give every guest the option of whether they would prefer their card to be charged in GBP or their home currency. I am sorry it was not clearly communicated to you about the DCC conversion option upon arrival; I can assure you since your comments were made directly to the hotel the front desk team have received refresher training to ensure this does not reoccur.
I am very disappointed you found your bed to be small and uncomfortable, the bed size is dependent on the room type reserved with the larger room types having King beds instead of standard doubles. We have many positive reviews of the level of comfort of the beds and I would be interested to understand what you found to be unsatisfactory.
I am sorry your stay was not an enjoyable stay and did not meet your expectations, do not hesitate to contact me directly should you choose to stay in the future and I will ensure you have a much more enjoyable experience.

Ipswich
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay at the ampersand. The staff were very welcoming and accomodating and the room was very clean and comfortable.
The hotel is well placed close to the south kensington underground station.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your great review.
I am pleased you enoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand Hotel soon.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Had a great first stay in a deluxe studio. Room was spacious, the rain shower marvellous and the heated bathroom floor, a treat! Even though at times I could feel the vibrations and hear the hum of the underground trains, this did not disturb me. I found the afternoon tea better value than the breakfast: my friends and I agreed that the scones were the best we've had in a long time. The young folks at the front desk were cheerful, helpful and contributed to the overall relaxed atmosphere. I am looking forward to returning in the summer.

Room Tip: I was in a deluxe studio and loved the space. Book this if you can.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. I am delighted you had the time to experience the afternoon tea in The Drawing Rooms as well as the hotel. I have shared your lovely comments with Ji Sun who is responsible for the fabulous scones and I look forward to your next stay in the summer.

Istanbul
Reviewed 20 December 2013

Short Business trip, served purpose well... Would consider booking for personal vacation as well.Great Location, comfortable beds, helpful staff. Breakfast buffet so so, but the French Toast on the menu was excellent

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your lovely comments. I am pleased you enjoyed your brief stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back to The Ampersand when you have more time to enjoy the hotel and the fantastic area we are located in.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed here for five nights but I wish it had been longer. The staff here catered to our every whim, even when I wanted cornflakes and bananas at 7pm. They even came to help us with our plug converter. The room was unbelievably comfortable, maybe a bit small but that is probably because the bed was so massive and lovely. Everything was modern and very clean and the bathroom had under floor heating. Fresh bathrobes and slippers were provided every day, along with massive bath towels. The location couldn't be beat, and the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly. I felt so comfortable here. The only thing I wasn't super impressed with was the restaurant downstairs but the room service food was excellent. I will stay here again every time I am in London.

Dear Michelle

Thank you for your brilliant review. It is always a pleasure to receive such great comments and share them with time team.
I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back the next time you are in London.