“Ampersand (Dec 2013)”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #47 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This is a gem, a well-looked after hotel in a great location. My room was cozy and welcoming, and well-heated. The complementary juices/soft drinks were a nice bonus. Hotel staff were helpful and efficient.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank S G
Write a ReviewReviews (3,490)

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here on new years eve with my boyfriend. We were welcomed by a friendly girl on reception and she checked us in very quickly. The room was modern, clean and I loved the speakers in the bathroom! We enjoyed breakfast in bed - which wasn't too pricy. Parking was not a problem as we managed to park down the little side street next to the hotel and pay on the meter. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jessica l
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was sold as soon as I saw the Ampersand hotel website. For a London boutique hotel I really thought the room prices weren't too expensive. The Ampersand is really targeted at people who don't want to stay in your bog standard chain hotel and want something with a little style and like thought to have been put into its design.

The service was fantastic in my opinion. Front desk at check in and check out was helpful and professional. The bar and wait staff were friendly and again very professional.

I booked a double room for myself, which I will admit was on the small side but I knew what to expect when I booked the room so had no complaints about the size. Bed was super comfortable, good quality linens. Only negative feedback I have is that there wasn't enough lighting in the room. It didn't get a huge amount of natural light and the lighting available still kept the room a bit dark, but that wasn't anything major.

The location is unbeatable. The hotel is literally across the road from South Kensington station that is on the Picadilly (Heathrow) and District/Circle line so you can pretty much get yourself wherever you want. I walked to Knightsbridge for some shopping and it took me less than 10 minutes. Hyde park and museums are also within walking distance.

Oooh food, I didn't get a chance to eat at Apero or have high tea - that is my one regret. When I was researching hotels to stay, it was the menus at the hotel that really tempted me. The breakfast spread was delicious (try the Caramelised Pear & Creamy Fudge yoghurt - amazing!) and there is a seriously good variety for you to choose from.

I was travelling alone to London for a friends wedding and could not have been more happier with the Ampersand. I like pretty things, I like to treat myself, I like being treated well and it ticked all of these boxes. Highly recommended, just be realistic about London prices and the size of hotel rooms and you won't be disappointed :)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank rinnikin
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Great stay in a swanky hotel. Great detail has been given to their interior design. Very tasteful. Great London location, central to everything. South Kensington tube 3 minutes from hotel.
Friendly staff.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We chose this hotel for our NYE's stay as we have been here previously and really enjoyed it. We booked a Deluxe room again as these are more spacious than the standard rooms, this time the room was actually bigger than last time. Couple of things if you haven't been before, most rooms only have a shower so speak to them in advance if you want/need a room with a bath. The rooms don't have irons in them but within 5 minutes of requesting. We had breakfast in the hotel this time and it was really nice and reasonably priced for a hotel, the main restaurant was really busy so they served us in the drawing room upstairs which was actually nicer than being in the busy restaurant! The only thing that let them down was that we reported one sink in the bathroom was blocked before we left for dinner and reception said they would get maintenance to look at it while we were out, I don't know if they came or not but it was still blocked when we got back! I still think this hotel offers the best value 5* in London.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for the deluxe rooms for the extra space