“An excellent hotel”

The Ampersand Hotel
Ranked #48 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The Ampersand is a trendy - but unpretentious - hotel. The interior design is fashionable and the room was also well designed although very very small for two people! However it made use of the space in a practical manner which tied in with the overall design of the hotel - the breakfast room is down in the old cellar so all available space in the building is used. The staff are very very friendly and accommodating and go out of their way to help. I note that some other reviewers have mentioned noise - I specifically asked for a higher up room because of this and we were on the third floor and I got a good nights sleep. Also our room was very hot and you cannot open the window and the air con made it really cold so it was difficult to get a happy medium but these are just small gripes considering and it hasn't stopped me giving the hotel an overall Excellent rating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bubbles73uk
Write a ReviewReviews (3,490)

Reviewed 28 June 2014

After a long flight from Australia we didn't have to wait long before our quiet and comfortable room was ready. Thank you to the staff for speeding that along. The hotel is in a great location right next to South Kensington tube and a beautiful walk up to Kensington High Street. I would recommend the Ampersand for that little bit of luxury. Thank you!

2  Thank Sue H
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Very pleasant stay, in a newly refurbished hotel. All round nicely appointed, good bathrooms etc. breakfast in Apero was cramped with too many tables. Staff are very helpful and accommodating. Very quiet inside despite being on a busy street.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. Its location, steps away from the underground and museums, was very convenient. The room was clean, comfortable. Service was excellent; very responsive to our requests.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I previously lived in South Kensington, so I enjoy the location of Ampersand very much. It's right in the middle of South Kensignton, close to Knightsbridge. It's also right across from the South Kensington station, though I have found that many of the rooms in the hotel tremble when the train is passing - it's quite noticeable and hard to sleep! I have stayed in the hotel a few times, and the rooms are very modern, well done and clean. However, the difference between the smaller room and the larger one is huge! The smaller rooms do not even have room to properly hang closes or anywhere to place large luggage. Many of the rooms are also right next to the lift, and the lift makes loud mechanical noises! I would only stay here again if I were guaranteed a room far from the lift. Overall, the hotel is well-done, though the amenities are not are good as a "full service" hotel, which I would probably prefer for the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Dedi212
Reviewed 26 June 2014

We recently stayed at the Ampersand prior to leaving on a cruise from Southampton. The location was very good. Near museums, food, Tube. The rooms are small (as expected in Europe), but very nice. The bathroom was spotless, the bed comfortable. The only negative was some noise from outside. Didn't keep me awake, but I could definitely hear people reveling outside. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Ampersand for three nights in mid-March of 2014 when we visited our niece who was studying abroad in London. We took a Deluxe Studio room with a rollaway so our niece could stay with us if she wanted.

Every aspect of our Ampersand experience: from making the arrangements by email; to the location; the room, amenities, and common areas; and the friendly and helpful staff -- was absolutely wonderful.

We had hoped to find a small, stylish hotel in a central location that was still comfortable -- and that's exactly what we got. The Ampersand is modern without being pretentious, with original art and thoughtful design everywhere: from the multi-story lighting in the stairwell; to the round leather seating in the lower lobby; the fabric and visuals in the tea room; and the incredible breakfast area! It's just a really nice place to be.

Our guest room was comfortable in every possible way with plenty of design touches of it's own (like a tiny hidden bookshelf with just five books on it), and the bathroom (sorry, the "toilet" ;-) -- oh my! Oh, and there is no charge for items from the mini bar -- one more small example of the Ampersand's class and good taste.

The staff were friendly, helpful and professional at every turn -- including making an excellent restaurant recommendation (and reservation). And the location is hard to beat, with the South Kensington tube station one short block away.

The Ampersand is not an inexpensive hotel, but it is easily worth every penny. I know where I'll be staying the next (and every) time I'm in London.

Room Tip: Harrington Road (the main street on the south side of the hotel) can be a little noisy at times, and...