“Tidy and clean”

Olympic House Hotel
Ranked #808 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was satisfied to have spent 5 nights in the hotel it's clean and tidy, the stuff is good. To pay the wifi was not satisfying . Breakfast was good. It was near to most places to be seen in london just walking buses near the hotel . the service in the restaurant was good only the croissant was not fresh I didn't like

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We came to this hotel with my family for a weekend trip. We have been to this are before and opted for this hotel because of the +3 star ratings it had received.

The hotel was not worth those reviews.

The rooms were small and quite hot. Wifi and air condition cost each a 10 GBP extra per day, so you might want to take this into account. Also, the air conditioning is controlled remotely, meaning that you have to call to the reception to put that on. And once on, it can only be shut off, but not adjusted.

The breakfast was one of the lamest I've ever had and was served only from 7.30 to 9.00, even in weekends.

The only good things were that our room was cleaned properly and that the hotel is nicely located, 5 mins walk from the Paddington Station.

If there are no other vacancies and I want to stay in this area, I might revisit this hotel. But not because of the +3 star reviews.

This hotel is tops a 1-2 star hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Henri K
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I stayed here with a friend on a weekend-trip to London. It is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. When the only thing actually attractive about your hotel is the location maybe you should try being accommodating and friendly, but alas, the staff were rude and impatient.

When you pay for a hotel you expect to be treated nicely and that maybe, just maybe, someone working at the hotel knows the area. I asked for the way to a supermarket and was told to go to Paddington, the woman pointed in the opposite direction of Paddington and got annoyed with me when I told her that Paddington was actually the other way. Not to mention that the hotel is surrounded by small supermarkets and going all the way to Paddington isn't necessary.

The breakfast was horrible and we actually had to wait for a table. When you know your hotel is full and still choose to end breakfast at 9 am on the weekend almost everyone will come for breakfast a 8.45. It is then the hotel's job to be prepared for this, or extend the breakfast with an hour. When we finally got a table we had to share with a cranky French couple. The breakfast selection consists of sweaty cheese, ham and two types of jam.

When we checked out we asked to leave our bags at the hotel for the day, something I have done in every country and hotel I have ever stayed at, but at this hotel we were told, rather rudely, that we could only leave it there for a few hours.

The hotel's location is the only good thing about it, but there are plenty of other hotels in the same place for the same price that must have friendlier staff and a better breakfast. I wouldn't recommend anyone to stay at this hotel, but I would recommend the area.

I live in London normally and have been to and stayed at many hotels there as my parents frequently visit and this hotel is not worth a second glance.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Anne_92Norway
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Hi, in my opinion the room could be cleaner, especially the toilets. Breakfast is very simple with croissant from closed small plastics (not fresh). The environment of the hotel is not pleased. I won't be there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank triyan
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This hotel is well maintained and had very good standards of housekeeping but is totally undermined by the appalling attitude of its staff. When we arrived to book in instead of a welcome, we were asked immediately to pay our bill in advance. Having already seen some of the mixed reviews on trip advisor, I asked very politely if we might just see the room before we made the payment. This seemingly innocuous request provoked am extreme and out of proportion response from the woman behind reception who started proclaiming very irrately' 'it's an insult' again and again. She initially said that it didn't matter what we thought of the room we would still have to pay as we had booked, and then she changed tack and told us that we could go now as she could let the room to someone else immediately. In the end she did show us the room and it was fine but I was outraged at having been so publically humiliated. As we had our two children with us I didn't want to take the risk of walking out, but had they not been there, that is definately what I would have done. We later heard some other poor guests getting similar treatment over another matter. The breakfast is also poor. They use the cheapest budget items such as white patchy reformed looking ham and horrible cheap jam. There was little choice and we had to wait 10 minutes in a queue to be seated. Because of the hotel's location they clearly have a high turnover, so are not remotely interested in customers or their satisfaction. It was embarrassing to see overseas guests get such a terrible impression of British hospitality. Don't stay here, they don't deserve your money and you deserve to stay somewhere where you are at least treated with respect

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Dr G
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We stayed at the Olympic House in May for 3 nights. It was pleasant. The location was excellent...very close to Paddington Station. It has an elevator which was a big "plus" for someone with a sprained ankle....but alas, no ice machine for an ice pack to comfort the aforementioned ankle. The front desk staff was accommodating as far as storing our luggage the day we checked out. At times, however, they seemed a bit disinterested in their guests. The room did have an electrical adapter (very helpful, though we're not sure if it was intentionally left there). The room was small and the bathroom was tiny, but everything was adequate and functioned properly. Every part of the hotel that we saw was very clean with a pleasant decor. Breakfast was filling, though lacking variety. It was enough to get you started in the morning and it was included in the price of our room. We would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bsens25531
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This tiny hotel is cramped in shoulder to shoulder with a series of other Greek owned hotels in an area of London very conveniently located just a few minutes walk from Paddington Station and Hyde Park. Easy to get to and from. But it really is tiny - it's like staying at the 7.5th floor, like a LesterCorp but vertically instead of horizontally. The room I had was a single bed room. I am not a big guy, but even I could hardly turn around in the shower without banging a limb against something. The breakfast room is really small, tiny chairs and tiny staff with a very tiny budget, the coffee made me think of what substitute the Londoners must have had to settle for during the WWII. Sheets and towels were not changed without specific request, and for a price of close to 100 pounds it was a bit disappointing. That said, the hotel as such was clean, new furniture and in general very well maintained, but don't buy their internet connection, you can either go around the corner to the closest pub where they offer free wifi, or catch the BTwifi and pay 6 pounds/day instead of the 15 the hotel is asking.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business