“Overbooked and Revolting”

Ranked #799 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Midlands, England
“Overbooked and Revolting”
Reviewed 9 September 2008

I arrived at the hotel at 11pm only to be told that the single on-suite room I had booked was not available and that I should spend the first night in a 'basic single' with no toilet, no shower, no washbasin and no TV with musty dog-blankets on the bed.

After complaining bitterly that this was totally unacceptable and that I didn't feel like sleeping in a room the size of a box (2m x 3m) and walking down two sets of stairs and along public corridors to get to the bathroom, they checked to see if any other nearby hotels had any vacancies. They didn’t, so after more complaining that there was no way I was going to pay for something I was not getting, I was offered the first night free and was assured I would be moved to a better room the following night.

The following night I was moved to a room with had a tiny on-suite, an inside door lock that didn’t work and a window that would not shut (lucky it was September, not December).

In addition to that all the facilities were shabby, did not appear overly clean and were in desperate need of refurbishment.

I would strongly advise anybody to stay well clear of the Exhibition Court Hotel or 60 Warwick House as it is called on some booking websites.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Bristol, England
Reviewed 3 April 2008

I cannot believe how bad my experience was with hotels in London. I was first of RUDELY told that my reservation at Ascot Hotel was lost/overbooked so I had to stay at Exhibition court who knew NOTHING about the switch. Our room was cramped (to the point where we could not open the door), dirty, over heated, and I got terribly sick no doubt due to the germs/filth of the room. My sister was visiting me from Canada so we booked a day out in London then a show at Les Mis. We left our room at 10:00 am and came back at 23:00... When we came back to our room we were appalled to see OUR ROOM WAS LEFT OPEN BY THE CLEANER... ALLLLLLLLL DAY! Over 12 hours! We had passports, money, etc. We were shaking and very upset. All the front desk would do is say they would talk to the cleaner and brushed off the situation. Please learn from this experience - Do not stay at THE ASCOT HOTEL or THE EXHIBITION HOTEL.
Thanks

Stayed March 2008

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Devon
Reviewed 2 December 2006

Hotel was close to Earls Court which is ideal for concerts however the Shower was either too hot or too cold and so you could only use it on the transition between the 2 temperatures, bathroom was on a slope, bedside lamp didn't work, room was on the 3rd floor with no lift, door didn't lock properly, tv only had 4 channels when advertised as satallite, holes in the plaster in the walls and the ceiling, plug socket hanging off the wall. We had requested a smoking room and were told that the room was smoking but there was a smoke detector on the ceiling and so should smoke by the window. Overall an interesting experience which we will definately not be repeating

• Liked — Checking Out
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank magicflyingbubbles
Ireland
Reviewed 5 September 2006

This is an unmitigated dump. The floors and walls were filthy. The bathroom stank of urine. The window didn't close. The room was unbearably hot at night and the shower only had cold water in the morning.
Avoid this place unless you are accostomed to living in a sewer.

Stayed September 2006
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Reviewed 4 August 2006

The most terrible hotel. We were moved fro The Ascott. And had to stay in a room in the basement, without heat and a door out to the garden that could not be locked. The worst hotel I have ever seen!
Only one advice stay away from it.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with friends
Kongsberg, Norway
Reviewed 4 July 2006

I early June 2006 me and my pal went to England and the great Download Festival. We decided to take the last day of our trip in London and booked a room at Exhibition Court Hotel 3. We got a cheap room at the rate of £40 for one night. When we arrived at the hotel there seemed to something wrong with the booking, but they took a copy of my confirmation and it was all ok (they even let a couple of our friends stay in another room at the same cheap price, without booking in advance).

I must say I didn't know what to expect after reading some of the reviews here at tripadvisor. But we took our chances, mostly because it was so cheap.

We got a room on the 4th. floor and there was no elevator. The room was much better than expected. Clean sheets and generally cleaned everywhere. Yes, you could say the carpets were worn, but that was ok at the rate we payed for the room.

The room had ensuite facilities which weren't that bad. The shower was ok, but I couldn't figure out how it worked. Somehow I got water, but it changed from hot to cold water now and then. The toilet was placed below the sink, but it was completely possible to sit on it.

The rooms got pretty hot during the night, since there was no airconditioning, but again what should you expect at the rate. There was a small 12" fan in the room and it help getting some circulation in the air.

The personell was friendly.

All in all this hotel was ok to stay at for two guys for one night after a festival. But I don't think I will bring my wife to this hotel.

Ps. there is a 24hr. Tesco right down the street. They have all kinds of food and beers. And it always nice to have something to fill the fridge in the kitchenette in the room.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank kongsberg
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 November 2005

Absolutly horrible. No lights in the room (only one lamp for the full, room), no blankets (even if you ask for. They only smile, say yes, and do nothing), unbearable stink, awful atention, dirty spots in walls and ceiling, the breakfast is repugnant, the windows do not close properly, the central heating was only a legend and the stove only runs (diying) during 30 minutes... There is nothing good to tell about this dirty hole, but we are far now. My advice: RUN AWAY FROM THIS FILTHY SEWER AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Ah. They are very clever people.We've booked the room online in the Exhibition Court 3 (presumibly better than this puddle [--]) but when we arrive it was closed and we was sent to the EC1. But they apply us the rates of the EC 3. Ole, ole, ole!!!

• Stayed November 2005