“I would return in a hurry !!!”
Review of The Victoria

The Victoria
Ranked #126 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“I would return in a hurry !!!”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Three friends and I stayed recently ,we were down for the England ,New Zealand rugby match .

We arrived at lunchtime and the place had a real warm buzz to it ,real fires burning ,people eating and chatting away we loved it .

We had four rooms which were all of a great standard and spotlessly clean,breakfast was also fabulous,fantastic coffee .

The selection of real ales and wines were great,we cant wait to visit later in the year .

I wish The Victoria was at the bottom of my road !!!

Room Tip: All rooms are great .
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
london
Reviewed 12 January 2013

This restaurant/pub is hidden away in a lovely part of sheen. When you walk in you go straight into the pub array which looked lovely, very friendly with a nice roaring fire. However we were shown into a conservatory at the rear which is where the restaurant tables are laid out. I have to say is was completely characterless, someone on our table actually likened to a day room at a nursing home it was that soul less. The food itself wasn't bad but at the same time lacked anything special or creative. My steak, as a previous review also mentioned, was cold by the time it came out to me. We also found the service very impersonal....the were 2 waiters who made you feel wholly unwelcome. They answered you back and practically threw items on the table.
Lovely as the was I shan't be returning here at any point in th future.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
East Molesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 December 2012

You won't stumble across the Victoria, but it's a welcoming gastropub with friendly staff, and the restaurant area in the conservatory seems to work as well in winter as summer.

The service was friendly, if a little slow, and our starters of game terrine were very tasty, and more bread was forthcoming when requested.

The mains however, were a disappointment. My medium cooked steak was only warm, but had been burnt on the underside, while my girlfriend's hake fillet still had a fair amount of bones. It was tasty, but having to fillet a fillet yourself detracts from the enjoyment somewhat.

All credit to the staff, when I pointed out the steak to them, they took the feedback and gave us free delicious dessert and glass of wine. So I would give them the benefit of the doubt that we were just unlucky.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Boput
Reviewed 4 December 2012

We were shown to our room on the first floor and were pleasantly surprised. The room had a fantastic feature wall with stunning wallpaper, with cushions and curtains to match. The room overlooked the flat roof of the kitchen so had opaque frosting on the window. the bedside tables were a little dusty it otherwise the room was very clean and had nice quality bed linen.

The room was lovely and warm and the beds were generally comfortable although we could here the noise of the kitchens - extractor fans, voices etc. Ok with the window closed but open we cold hear a general hubbub.

The bathroom required some refurbishment; the shower was lovely and hot but the grouting was black in pages and water did not drain quickly - fine is you don't mind paddling! The soap holder on the sink was rusted although the soap itself was divine, smelling of fizzy cola bottles! The towels were on the small side and the heated towel rail did not work.

The free wifi was fast and easy to access.

Breakfast was a delight with a mix of pastries, cereals, breads, yogurts, fruit and cheese. The choice of 6 or so jams appeared homemade. We were not offered a cooked option.
Staff were friendly and the coffee was very good. Gluten free toast as well as some chocolate muffins were served - a nice touch showing that they cared.

Would I stay again? Yes!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Gracie_Grey1
West Country
Reviewed 19 October 2012

I called in recently with relatives for a coffee and beer. The staff were friendly and very helpful and the drinks served promptly and brought to our table. The seating was comfortable and although the abience was somewhat muted (the pub was quite empty) the relative silence made for easy conversation. Although we didn't eat the menu looked quite appetising and reasonably priced. I will update you all if and when we do eat here.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank GOGWestCountry
London
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Thank you to The Victoria for another great evening of great food, lovely ambiance and good service. I frequently eat here - it's the perfect place to take a parent or catch up with good friends over a glass of wine - and am never disappointed. My staple is to pick two starters and the mini pudding - the perfect size packed full of interesting and thoughtful flavours. The bar are also very accommodating of my small dog who happily sleeps under the table in the bar. These things all combine to make this one of my favourite local restaurants.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Emily J
Mistley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I've stayed twice, wouldn't have come back from choice, but have family nearby. Rooms basic, quite masculine, gloomy en suite, thick dust below bedhead and under bed not hoovered too well, though otherwise clean. Breakfast lovely the first time, less so the second, with cheap white bread as the only toast option. Main issue for me was lack of warm welcome and feeling of being looked after, almost like the hotel was an afterthought to the restaurant and bar. It was just about ok the first time, but on my second visit I sat alone at breakfast and no one offered tea or coffee until I got up to go. Planes are an issue too and like another reviewer, I experienced early morning doors banging and noise. Overall, I would probably pay £75 and reckon £120 is over the top for the quality of rooms and service

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo