“Very cheap, good central location. Adequate for a single night.”

Alexander House Hotel
Ranked #758 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I booked a single night at this property for a stay at the end of January. As I arrived by coach the hotels location is perfect, being only 5mins away from Victoria Coach Station. The property is in close proximity to Victoria Railway Station and the Underground network. You can't really get a better location in London for the price!

The room was comfortable enough for a single night, and although I booked a room with a shared toilet and shower, my room had a toilet and shower in what I imagine was previously a cupboard. Very small but more than adequate for my needs. The hotel backs on to the approach to Victoria Railway station, as such trains can be heard in the early hours of the morning, although they are not too disruptive.

Breakfast consisted of Cereal, Toast, Tea/Coffee and Orange Juice and this was again, more than adequate for my needs. However I did not appreciate the way in which the kitchen staff loiter around the dining room, looking over you while you are having breakfast.

The service I received when I contacted the property the previous day, to inquire about the check in time was poor. The member of staff on the end of the line was very abrupt and not particularly helpful or friendly. Secondly on arrival at the hotel, the gentleman behind the reception was engrossed in a phone call and I had to wait about 5 minutes for him to finish this call and welcome me to the property. Not a particularly good first impression to give your guests.

In general the hotel is fairly priced, with an excellent location and is comfortable for a single night. The hotel staff however could be more polite and welcoming to guests! If I had a higher budget I wouldn't bother staying here again, but if your funds are limited, it isn't too bad an option.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We originally booked a twin room in Ivy house hotel ( several of this hotels in the same street), but at arrival we asked for a double room, so they gave us one in Alexander House.

Reading many of the reviews about London budget hotels, you are aware you are going to get a tiny room. I couldn't imagine such a small bathroom, though. We went there last week (so, February) and it was really worm in the room, which I liked very much, since I'm cold almost all the time :)

Room needs a lot of ,,refreshment''-walls had stains, doors and windows are in poor condition, but I must admit it was clean. We got clean towels and soaps every day, bed sheets were clean and so was the bathroom. It is small and old, but it was clean!

Breakfast was a great start for the day, a little bit of toast, butter, jam, cerials, juice...I mean-what would you expect for that price?!

The best thing about this hotel is location. Very near to Victoria station, from where you have 3 metro lines (Victoria, District and Central) and station of Gatwick express. There are several ok restaurants/pubs, it will keep you full untill you get to know the area.

You can even walk to some locations.

Noise-I heard a little bit of trains first night, but I was so tired it didn't bother me. If you hear them, that means you didn't walk around London enough! :D

I would recommend it for younger travelers and for a good place just to come back at the evening to go to sleep. For that it is really ok, considering the price.

Room Tip: Prepare yourself to be in a small hotel in a small room with a smallest bathroom ever.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I stay in this hotel when in London on business. It is is central. It is clean and warm in the winter. Thought the price reflects what you get in London. It is part of a chain of hotels in the same Road behind Victoria Station but at the end of the Rd is a great pub with good pub food,

Room Tip: front top with shower
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2011

ANNEXE HOTEL, ALEXANDER HOTEL AND HOLLY HOUSE ARE the same hotel, same owners. Stay away. The rooms are very very small, the beds are small, the toilets are microspic, rooms are very noisy besides Victoria Station. The trains seems to pass through the rooms...it is very noisy ! The only good thing maybe is the location.
I was 3 days and I changed from one hotel to the other to check if I coud get something better, but 3 hotels are the same worst thing.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank EnriqueLP
Reviewed 16 March 2008

This place is THE reality check for budget travelers in London. The Dollar to Pound exchange rate is abysmal, so if you are too proud to bunk down in a hostel, be prepared to budget more or you will end up in some place just like this.

The room was cramped, like a closet with a bed shoved in, with worn carpeting and an unrelenting musty smell. The private bath is squeezed into what must have been the coat closet, so compact that while sitting on the toilet I could rest one elbow in the sink and the other against the shower wall. We slept fine the first night, being jetlagged from our first day after a transcontinental flight, but the second night was a doozy due to the constant noise from Victoria Station trains running right below our window. On the plus side, this place is an easy walk from Victoria Station....

Do not confuse this hotel with the Alexander House Hotel in Sussex, a 4-star luxury hotel and spa. At the time of my review, the tripadvisor site links to THEIR photo page instead, which is infinitely more glamorous.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank MataKari
Reviewed 4 January 2007

I made a Hotel reservation on November 16 at Alexander House to stay for one night on December 31 due to flight layover from Rome. When I arrived, the attendant told me that my reservation was canceled. I found myself, my 8 year old daughter and my wife out in the streets on a cold and rainy night looking for a vacant room in an unfamiliar city in New Year's Eve. I've never experienced this kind of treatment in any country I've traveled to. Perhaps, in the country of origin of this hotel's manager it is a custom not to honor your business deals.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank Overseas_vacationer
Reviewed 9 May 2005

This hotel ia horid. When we first walked in the door it was horrible the loby was nasty that smelled like waste. The desk people stole my credit card and put charges on it. The room had no room exept for the bed and the bathroom had a showerhead exept it was in the wall and a drain. The toliet didn't work so if we had to go to the bathroom we had to go by the nearby resturant. The curtains had stains on them. We found a rat behind the bed and the heater didn't work. We found a leech in our bead along with a cockrach.

• Stayed: September 2004