“Good value for London”

Lancaster Court Hotel
Ranked #917 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Good value for London”
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this via a travel site. It looks fab from the outside but is a little tired inside. However I only needed somewhere to rest my head and it was fine for that. My room was small but clean and considering it was central London I wasnt disturbed by the traffic at night. The staff were friendly and helpful. The included continental breakfast was plentiful but limited. Toast came almost immediately so was hot but only white bread offered. There was an option to buy vouchers for a cooked breakfast but I was happy with continental. For price I wouldnt have expected more so dont expect glam and you will be fine here!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Polish first
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

This is by far one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. To put it simply, it's a dump! We paid £180 for one night and feel, even for London, this hotel is completely over priced. The hotel is in need of complete refurbishment; there's mould, paint falling off the walls and old and torn carpet everywhere. The bedroom was small and the bathroom even worse! No air conditioning, a window that didn't open very well and an iron with no iron board! We had to iron using a towel on the floor! Wifi is incredibly expensive too. The only good thing about this hotel is the location, it's just a short walk from paddington or Hyde Park! I'd avoid though - best of spending a little more money and finding somewhere better!

Room Tip: Choose a room elsewhere! :(
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank AndyHoliday82

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Cambridgeshire
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I booked my room here via Booking.com, where the reviews for this venue were far more favourable than they are here. After booking, i then read the poor reviews here, so I was kind of looking forward to finding out just how bad it was, or just how melodramatic these reviews were.

Firstly, it's a cheap hotel. I stayed for 2 nights in February, and paid a low price. I was by myself, and because I was spending my days elsewhere in London, I wasn't paying for a hotel where I'd spend very much time in. For this reason, this hotel actually worked out fine for me.

Okay, so it needs some fresh paint on the woodwork, and a bit of filler in some cracks, but for what I paid, and for what I needed the it for (to sleep) it was absolutely fine.

The staff were extremely courteous and helpful, I was pleased to find Wifi from BT, and I felt happy with my choice.

It was a little odd that my room didn't have a toilet, but i knew this before I booked, and could have chosen to book a room that did. Essentially this is a fantastic old building in a brilliant location, that's had a hotel shoehorned into it. My room had a view over the park opposite, where the spring bulbs were blooming, and the Paddington church stood in the sunshine.

My room did have a shower, and that gave me piping hot water. One slight concern with it was though, that if i shut the shower door, i'd be in a sealed cubicle with steam - which I'm not sure is ever so safe (there was no extractor or vent).

It is cheap, it is basic, and if you were staying here as a family or with someone you're wanting to impress, then don't be such a skinflint, and go pay for something more expensive. But if you're here alone, and just need to bed down for a few nights, I think you'll survive. I did, and will keep it on my list of favoured hotels.

Room Tip: If you want an ensuite, request it - not all rooms have toilets/bathrooms attached.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Andrew M
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I travel a lot and sometimes staff are rude...but this is the first time that the male receptionist was SO rude that I considered just walking out...but I thought they had already charged my card and it was very late in the evening so I had to stay. The receptionist acted more like an arrogant passport control person who felt that he had the power and the privilege to be rude while considering whether you were authorised to enter the country. He asked me for my ID with absolute contempt. When I showed him my reservation printout, he wanted to see the credit card I booked the reservation with...it didn't say on the online reservation site that we would be expected to show the same credit card on arrival...in normal hotels it is up to you which card you use to pay with. I thought I had booked a room with a toilet & shower...it was supposed to be a 2 star hotel after all...on arrival, I realised that the toilet was in fact outside in the corridor..shared! When I asked the guy about this, he showed me the small print which stated that there was only a SHOWER inside the room...not toilet!!!! Read the small print! Breakfast is meant to be included. It is basically cold boiled eggs, toast and a stale croissant. Don't expect cereal, fruit or yoghurt or anything else you'd expect of a "continental" breakfast. The awful thing is that this place has had so many bad reviews...I made the mistake of not reading them before I booked. and they still don't care, because it doesn't cost them anything to treat people with basic human courtesy and respect.

Room Tip: Not at this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Jesvir M
london
Reviewed 27 March 2014

One of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I also fundamentally disagree with those who say that because it's cheap, people should expect very little. I stay in London a lot and as I work for a charity, I always try and make sure I get a room as cheaply as possible. The last 2 places I have stayed in, The Kensington Studios and a small hotel in King's Cross (the name of which I can't remember, frustratingly!) have been lovely. On the small side admittedly but clean and comfortable with helpful staff. This place was none of those things. I booked a cheap single room and on arrival was told that I could 'upgrade' for £10 to a bigger room with en-suite. I said it was fine, I would stay where I booked. Until I saw it. It was the size of a broom cupboard and the walls were so thin, it felt like the couple next door were in the room with me. So, I trekked downstairs with my bag and said I would like to upgrade. The room I was put in was as dirty, depressing, gloomy and grimy as the rest of the hotel but had a big bath in the ensuite so I decided it would be ok. Firstly, the TV didn't work. I traipsed back to reception (no phones in the room of course) and the guy came to look at it. He couldn't get it to work so said he would look for another TV and bring it down. He didn't and I had to chase him up on it as he was sat on his backside in reception, clearly not bothered about my situation. I asked where my TV was he said he didn't have one but would give me 'free wifi'. Wow, thanks. I thought a nice bath might help me forget what a complete toilet the place was. On the plus side there was loads of hot water, on the downside the plug didn't fit. How hard is it to get a correctly fitting plug? I couldn't be bothered to chase up the reception guy again so had to have the quickest bath in the world with my foot over the ill-fitting plug to try and keep as much water in as possible. I then went to bed and decided to read (it won't surprise you to know that the wifi kept dropping by this point) but of course the bedside light didn't work. To be completely fair, the bed was comfortable and the breakfast though extremely basic (boiled eggs, toast and croissants) was fine but all in all this is a god-awful horror of a place. I wouldn't stay there again if you paid me. And as I say, there *are* places around the same price (£50) as this, as central which are much, much better.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank juliemr1000
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Staff are exceptionally rude, literally take your money and then stop caring, and they don't even try to hide it. Rooms are disgustingly dirty, no toilets in the rooms, mould on the ceilings, freezing in the night, and junkies old needles can be seen on the roof from some rooms.

I'd rather sleep rough than give these lowlifes a penny.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo