“Fine if you don't need frills...”
Review of Caring Hotel

Caring Hotel
Ranked #513 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London
“Fine if you don't need frills...”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

...because the Caring Hotel doesn't provide them. My double room was spartan - containing only wardrobe, budget drawer-free desk and chair, and bed squeezed between the wall and the door - but though it would have been small for two people, it was fine for my single occupancy. It did have tea-making facilities but no hairdryer or tissues, so it was just as well I'd brought my own. Having said that, the room was clean and quiet, the little en-suite bathroom was spotless and reasonably modern, and the bed surprisingly comfortable. The lamp at the head of the bed looked a bit sad - the hanging cord repaired with a non-matching piece of string - and it wasn't working, but the helpful, friendly chap behind the reception found me a new light bulb. The staff at breakfast the next morning were also pleasant, and while the choice was minimal, there was plenty of juice and cereal, and tea and toast to follow suited me. By London rates, I guess the cost was relatively low, so if you don't need luxury, only a place to put your head, then the Caring is fine. It's also conveniently located. I would stay there again if the occasion arose.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My wife and I are very happy to share with Trip Advisor readers our favorite hotel in London. We have been visiting London since 1984 and consider the Caring Hotel to be our home away from home. We always stay in one of the ground floor rooms and find that dollar for dollar the Caring Hotel is fantastic for value, cleanliness, location, and friendliness of staff. We emphasize value because London hotel rooms can be overpriced and small. The ground floor rooms at the Caring are large with a double bed and twin bed and a bathroom as clean as a whistle. We especially like room 5. The renovations are still fresh from several years ago and the room is very brightly lit and has a modern bathroom and flat screen TV with lots of channel choices. The breakfast room is bright and cheerful, as are the staff that serve you. Other readers have noted the location of the hotel is only 5 minutes from the route 94 bus to Picadilly and less than 10 minutes walk from the Queensway tube station. Hyde Park is just a few minutes walk from this hotel which is located on a tree lined residential street. Nearby shops sell grocery items and there is a pub and a great Greek restaurant just 2 minutes away. We just can't say enough about this hotel, its staff, and manager. The Caring caters to a very nice mix of travelers of all ages from around the world. Please note that this is a small hotel and that not all rooms have a private bathroom. This review refers to ground floor bedrooms with ensuite bathroom. These are ideal for older guests who do not want to walk up steps to get to the room. Finally, we have always found the staff to be friendly and helpful, the rooms to be extremely clean on a daily basis, and the location and the price of the room to be as good a value as anything we've seen in visiting London for 27 years. Anyone who would like to personal message us with further questions can learn more.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jf101
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 19 November 2011

The hotel was great! We stayed in 2 hotels in London and this one was our favourite by far. It was in a really nice area, just out of the city and only a few minutes walk from Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. It was walking distance to Paddington, which was handy. Breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful. Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 6 November 2011

A lovely hotel about a 10-15 minute walk from Paddington, also very accessible to Baywater and Queensway. Beautiful street of homes and hotels. Staff were friendly and accomodating and helpful in pointing out directions on maps. Informed about breakfast.
On a disappointing note, I arrived in London and was with the flu. My stay was broken down into two stays, so I had to change rooms as a previous customer requested the room I was already in. Despite being sick, I was forced to move after two days although they did have my room ready at 11 am. To those with children or luggage, there is no lift and no offered assistance, so I would look elsewhere if you can't navigate stairways or handle your own luggage. There was construction on the street in one of the other houses, so if you like quiet mornings, request a room on the back side of the house. Note that internet and TV might be a sacrifice on that side based on this stay.
Breakfast was an average continental variety, not the english breakfast that you see offered at many of the local restaurants.
Rooms were comfortable, clean, and with bathtub.
I notified the desk that the TV was not working in the back side of the house as well as weak internet service. Upon checkout, I commented on this again and did not receive an apology, just that they passed the info on. I think it would have been appropriate if some form of compensation was offered as I was stuck in the room for a good part of the stay.
For location and price, this hotel was great and I would probably give them another chance. It seems that they do have quite a bit of repeat business from the customers that I did talk to. If they could improve on their customer service end, they would truly embody the name of the hotel "Caring"

Room Tip: Rooms at back of house are quieter than the street side. No lift, so if you have luggage or childre...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank thepepperman
Stock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights and found the staff to be extremely unhelpful. Firstly, when we were checked in we were not informed of breakfast times and subsequently missed the next morning's breakfast by 15 minutes, even after reminding the staff that they forgot to tell us they remained unaccommodating and wouldn't even organise us a bowl of cereal.

I also required the use of a printer for an e-ticket, most hotel receptions would jump to the chance to print out a single sheet for their guests without hesitation. However, here the receptionist lied to my face saying they didn't even have a printer even though one was in clear view behind her.

Finally, they charge you to store your bags for a just a few hours. Although the location of the hotel is great for the price, you really get what you pay for in the service.

Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Cats T
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Stayed in the Caring Hotel for 4 nights. Experience overall was very pleasant. We were in a very large room, which could probably sleep 4, "downstairs, below street level" right beside the kitchen, however, was completely unaware of the noise of early morning breakfasts! The room was very comfortable, though the bathroom was teeny with few extras. Breakfast was OK and the staff who attended were really lovely!
The hotel is centrally located and walking distance from both Queensway and Paddington stations and close to an array of restaurants.
Except for a very pleasant Moroccan gentlemen, we found the front of house personnel to be rather disinterested in being of assistance. Few spoke fluent English and a receptionist told me to "Google it", when I asked her for the best way to reach the Grosvenor Hotel; we later learned it was right across the park and probably walking distance from the hotel. Another perhaps small but important matter was the absence of an elevator, though we had only one floor to ascend / descend, higher floors would have proved difficult with suitcase packed for a 2 week journey. On a busy weekend, you may have to book the hairdryer in advance.

Room Tip: For a large room, ask for the room below street level beside the kitchen. No noise from kitchen!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed at the Caring after reading reviews on Trip advisory. We were looking for a nice, comfortable and convenient budget hotel and this was it. The service was very friendly. I didn't have the UK outlet, so the receptionist lent me their hairdryer when I needed it. The room was bigger than expected and we had a lovely huge window facing the quiet street. About a 7min walk to the Bayswater tube station. The neighborhood was safe, quiet and outside the busyness of downtown london. Its very close to Hyde Park so my partner and I went for a jog in the morning, not something I thought I would be able to do while away.
Also the breakwast was decent, maybe not the greatest selection, but it had everything we needed and I always left feeling full. All in all it was a great stay and considering the prices in london, if you're looking for a low key, friendly hotel with basic furnishings and a little bit of charm, this is it! Also one of the few hotels in Europe where the bathroom actually had a tub in it!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple