“Old World Charm”

Caring Hotel
Ranked #516 of 1,069 Hotels in London
“Old World Charm”
Reviewed 29 May 2013

We liked it here. Staff was friendly, room was clean and spacious. No hot food at breakfast but good selection of cereal, juices, cheese, eggs etc. no complaints about anything. We will definitely stay here again when in London.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
sydney Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

i just completed a 5 night stay at Caring HOtel. Read all the reviews on Trip Advisor, so took the advice and stayed here. Was a bit disappointed. The staff were helpful, but not overly friendly. The room was very small, but, did expect that. We had a room without bathroom, but bathroom conveniently located right outside our door, however not serviced very often, as there seemed to be a lack of toilet paper! The breakfasts were basic, got slightly sick of hard boiled eggs - a poached/fried egg would have been nice! The most disappointing thing was the checkout. SLOW! we were in rush to catch a train, as it took the staff member half an hour to check us out! I made a under 1 minute phone call in London, and was told when i made it that it would only be 1 pound - after pfaffing about, was told it would be 5 pounds!!!! And he was SO unhelpful, slow and unfriendly - not a nice way to leave a hotel. Good value for money, but could pull up their socks!

Room Tip: don't go for something above Level 1 - NO LIFT! and if you have a heavy bag, they are steep stai...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank zoemax
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 23 May 2013

My wife and I stayed there for 2 nights (May 14-16) on our way back to Manila from a university visit in Liverpool. Stayed in room 14 (cosy double room), it's small (as described) but the space is good enough for us. We experienced some cold draft entering the room during the first night, but the heater at high setting did its job of maintaining comfortable temps inside.

Continental buffet breakfast was superb, just right for our Asian appetite. Reception staff were helpful. Well, their home page says it all - they're a caring hotel indeed. Location was great - quiet, safe neighborhood, but it's just within a short walking distance from Queensway where grocery stores and Asian restaurants abound. Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park are also very accessible from the hotel. Paddington station (for Heathrow access) is a leisurely 10-minute walk away from the hotel.

I was thankful that I was able to chance upon Caring Hotel during my Google Earth scan (and tripadvisor ratings check) of hotels around Paddington station area. We'll definitely stay there again if ever we get to drop by London in the future.

Room Tip: There's no lift so if you're lugging around some super heavy bags/luggages, request for the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

Having stayed at a number of alternatives in the area I booked one night in the Caring Hotel when my usual options were full. Cost at 101GBP was 20-30GBP more than I'd usually spend for a single en-suite room in this area and given the reviews I was expecting good things. All in all a bit disappointing. Some good and bad points:

Good:
1) Quiet area and room
2) Safe-feeling area/location
3) Close to Hyde Park

Bad:
1) Location is almost exactly halfway between Paddington and Bayswater/Queensway tube stations, so not really very convenient for any of them
2) Somewhat tired rooms, decor, feel throughout. Difficult to put my finger on exactly what, but I think a number of individually trivial points such as and Ikea wardrobe, random collection of hangers in the wardrobe, cheap/nasty coffee/tea making items, no plug in sink, old-fashioned cover on bed and cheap feeling sheets, a gap between shower head and wall.
3) No safe in room.
4) Having to leave key at reception
5) Breakfast from 0730, which was too late for me

So, though OK when other options aren't available it's not one that I'll rush back to. In my view other options offer better and more convenient (for the tube) accommodation at a lower price.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank MWSwansea
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My stay in London was brief, and I just wanted a decent place to sleep for not much money. This hotel was recommended to me and I was glad to have it. My room was clean as a whistle, and the staff was outstanding -- helpful as could ever be expected. And it was so quiet -- couldn't believe I was in the middle of London. Well located too -- not far from a tube stop. Very close by was a Greek restaurant with the best minestrone soup I've ever had.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Asarina
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Very helpful, friendly & funny staff. Hotel was nice & clean, but room was very small. Bed was against wall (to maximize space) so always woke up right next to a wall. No AC, safe, fridge or lift. Luckily on May 8th the weather was wonderful so the AC or fridge were not needed. There wasn't an ice machine (not unusual), but night staff was able to get some ice for us on our last night. Breakfast was plenty & good. Towels were worn & need to be replaced. Very close to Hyde Park & to Bayswater & Queensway metro stations. Kensington Palace & Diana's Memorial Fountain within walking distance. Access to all attractions made easy by the metro or bus systems. I would definitely return and recommend hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Urbana, Illinois
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I went to London on a leisure trip for four days before Good Friday. I just wanted to tour the museums all day and have a clean quiet room with a private bath to come to at the end of a long touring day. I wanted something reasonably priced and did not care much about all the luxuries offered at the high priced hotels.

I chose the Caring Hotel based on price and reviews. As I was travelling light, I took the underground from Heathrow and walked from Bayswater tube station to the hotel. It was approximately a ten minute walk. If you choose to do the same pay attention to the buildings’ numbering in Craven Hill Gardens as it is a bit confusing.

The hotel has a superb location within a few minutes walking distance from Bayswater, Queensway and Paddington tube stations. There are plenty of ethnic restaurants, supermarkets and some shops near these tube stations which make it very convenient.

Some reviews stated that the rooms are small, this is true but I did not care much about that as the room and bathroom were clean. Clean towels were provided every day and the room was very quiet. The only drawback for me was that the Internet signal in the room was very weak and I had to go near the reception to be able to check my email. I believe they need to boost this Internet signal as this does not cost much nowadays.

My usual breakfast at home is diet cereal, toast, honey and maybe a boiled egg every now and then and that is exactly what the hotel provided so I was happy with that. They do not provide the full English breakfast but it was fine with me. As the hotel was full, I found that the breakfast room tables were usually occupied and I had to share tables with other guests. The breakfast staff was very helpful, cheerful and accommodating.

I had a great time at the museums of London and was happy to find a clean room and bed at the end of the long day. The Caring Hotel IS the place to stay, if you are looking for a clean quiet room with a continental breakfast. It was a good value for the price paid. I would definitely stay there again if I come back to London.

Room Tip: The Caring Hotel IS the place to stay, if you are looking for a clean quiet room with a continental...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo