“Basic but very pleasant hotel”
Review of Caring Hotel

Caring Hotel
Ranked #517 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“Basic but very pleasant hotel”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed in July 2014. There is no elevator but it is communicated when you book. The room was very small, basic but very comfortable and clean. The staff was very helpful and kind. Especially the ladies at breakfast. The breakfast itself is also very basic but the room is very cozy and the food is good quality. They offer beverages that are not on the table and toast if you request. The location is fantastic!
Coming form Victoria (the station you take when you come form the airports) take the bus and not the metro. I forgot the bus number but it stops close by and you do not need to carry up and down the stairs your heavy luggage. Greek restaurant is nice but very pricey on the corner accross from the hotel. A soup (not homemade) and 8 pieces of calamari was 30 dollars....ouch.
Enjoy your stay it is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Polish first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My friend and I had the opportunity to stay at the Caring Hotel several times during Spring 2014. We knew the place and location from a short stay a few years ago. Yes, the hotel is basic, some of the rooms are small, there are stairs (no lift), UK plumbing can be quirky (not just here), and the breakfast selection is simple. All to be expected but not a deal breaker. We note major updating to plumbing fixtures in many rooms. WiFi all good. The location is perfect, within a few blocks of local pubs, restaurants and local shopping. Buses and Tube within a few blocks, and Paddingtion Station only 10-15 minutes easy level walk. This is key for those using Heathrow. Because of my multiple reservations this year, I stayed in 4 different rooms, (small single to large double) from basement level to second floor. All were good although very different from tight to spacious, Front counter 24 hr. customer service always with a smile, and even a discount on final room which was found for me on an emergency basis when my travel plans did not match my accommodations. If you are travelling fairly light and are wiling to be flexible and open minded, the Caring Hotel is a great place. I would stay there again and recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: Read room descriptions carefully when booking. Cheaper small rooms are indeed small.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BCRadioOp
Montreal
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed there five nights, on my own in a room for two. The hotel is on a quiet street, north of Kensington Gardens. Although it appears a little far from the bulk of attractions, I found its location to be extremely convenient: (1) close to Bayswater, Queensway, and Paddington stations if you care to move around in the tube, (2) was always able to find a bus line nearby, that took me close to my goal, (3) groceries and cafés nearby. Service is courteous, and desk is open 24 h. Check the details of your reservations: I was on the third floor (no elevators), and had to carry my suitcases up a rather narrow staircase; I've witnessed a very unhappy couple that had been booked on the 4th floor in spite of their request.

Room: it's not small, it's really-tiny-tiny -- even if you're alone, expect to bump unto yourself if you turn around too quickly. No closet -- you lost that one when they added a shower in the room (and the shower doesn't drain fast enough). No place to hang your wet towels -- use the window sill. No real working surface to speak of -- you are forever moving things from the bed to the small desk. I had to balance my laptop on the sink while doing whatever but brushing my teeth. I found I was loosing 30-45 min each day just to manage my stuff in such a small room, in which I found impossible to get organized efficiently.

Wi-Fi: reasonable. Could e-mail and send a few low-res pictures, but wouldn't try a Skype call or Face Time. Oh! Get your boarding pass ahead of time: Wi-Fi was down for more than 24 h when I needed mine, and had to go to an Internet Café.

Noise: hope for quiet neighbours.

Shared toilets: hope for clean neighbours, that don't use it too much at night.

Breakfast: Got to like Kellogs… All is Kellogs. No muesli. One canned fruit and one fresh. Always the same. Bread & jam & hard boiled eggs, coffee. That's it. So if you're on a "no gluten" or whatever regime, think twice. Get there early if you want a place to sit, or eat out if you don't want to spend more precious time at the hotel rather than at your preferred attractions in expensive London.

Would I go again? No. I'd try to find a larger room, better organized. Would I recommend to a friend? Only if cost is of the essence, and with a warning. What do I think of management & service? Hey! These are really nice people, and they do all they can within the constraints that are those of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the 4th floor, or only if you have less than 8 kg of luggage.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Copenhagen
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is definitely not one of those sleak hotel chains where the decor is carefully aligned and everything is shiney and new. However, it is a great basic option, where everything works as it should, for the traveller who cares more about the location than the amenities. The hotel is on a quiet street, 5 minutes from Hyde Park and Paddington, so everything is within reach. I stayed in one of the rooms with a shared toilet, but as the other reviewers have noted, it wasn't an issue and it was very cleanly kept (as were the rooms). The best parts: The check-in/out were the easiest I think I've ever had and the staff was really friendly, and unlike at some hotels, the advertised wifi worked flawlessly and not at a glacial pace (there's a network for every floor). If I really had to nit pick, the bed was lumpy, the curtains were not as long as the window, and there was no sound-proofing (so I was lucky to have quiet people on my floor and construction in the street that didn't start until 8am). But overall these things really didn't matter and the main memory I take with me is of the window directly facing a tree top and letting in the summer breeze from the lovely street. I would happily stay another time at Caring Hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank akbhatia
Pune
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a very small hotel but very conveniently located.I booked in this hotel as good feedback was given in tripadvisor about this hotel. I am not undoing the good remarks. The rooms are well maintained, the breakfast was good, there is free wifi connection. The pricing is more for this kind of hotel.

Room Tip: there are only two rooms in the ground floor. no one helps you with luggage.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Singapore
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

One best thing I like about the hotel is that they offer luggage storage service at only £2 a day and the one thing not so good is that it is not very easy to find though it is located at bayswater area. On my first night, I had 21kg worth of luggage to carry to the second floor but the reception man did not offer to assist. I guess that's because he has to take care of the surveillance cameras, albeit I would still appreciate a little help. The ladies in the morning shifts were helpful and friendly and breakfast was good too.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank qianwen
Sundsvall, Sweden
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I spent three nights at the Caring Hotel with my pre-teen daughter. We went for the cheapest alternative, meaning a room on the fourth floor, with shared bathroom. The final staircase was hidden behind a fire door that opened in the "wrong" direction when you are carrying luggage. But we are strong and healthy so we could live with that. It was nice to have a sink and kettle in the room. The beds were rather hard, but we slept well in this nice and quiet hotel area, with a nice view over a quiet street. The only negative surprise was the shower. It was one of those wall mounted showers that you cannot hold, and the water went in all directions. It was not good for washing long hair, but very tidy and clean, though. Breakfast was good, and was served between 07.30 and 09.00 on weekdays and 08.00 and 09.15 Saturday and Sunday - which suited us fine since we were there to go sightseeing, and then you still want to leave the hotel rather early in the morning to not waste any touristing time.
All in all - I wouldn't mind staying here again. Communications were good. Bus 94 between Notting Hill Gate and Piccadilly is very close and runs 24x7 (It starts from just beside Her Majesty's Theatre, where The Phantom of the Opera is showing - perfect for us!) 10 minutes walk to Paddington Station which is handy if you come by shuttler train from Heathrow.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family