“friendly and clean”
Review of Caring Hotel

Caring Hotel
Ranked #551 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Stayed with my son for 1 night and it was great. Everything was as it should be and the receptionist was a lovely lady who helped us a lot.
Would recommend it for anyone who wants a fairly central base for a London trip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tr0ggie

Reviewed 22 July 2014

OK so I stay in Bayswater, Kensington Gardens a lot and have stayed in perhaps half a dozen hotels there in the past decade (to visit family). The B&B hotels are much of a muchness at the lower end of the price range but this one is the best value I have found. OK so the rooms are small, there is no lift and the breakfast is pretty much a clone of everywhere else. On the upside it is clean, quiet, the staff are excellent, it has free wifi, location is as good as anywhere for access to restaurants, Hyde Park and the Tube and it is very reasonably priced (not only that you can ask for a discount if you book direct!).

Room Tip: Ask the staff for what you want.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Longdrop
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stayed for 1 night. Due to last minute booking. Hotel has assigned me to the Basement Floor with a private bathroom.

Room size were great. The drawback is not lift, if your luggage is very heavy it will be hard for you to carry them to Basement.

Hotel location is great! Since they are pretty close by NottingHill Gate, Queensway & Bayswater. Last, there is no mobile phone signal at Basement. There is Free WiFi connection for this hotel

Room Tip: Try to request the G/F Room since you don't need to carry your luggage up and down!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed in July 2014. There is no elevator but it is communicated when you book. The room was very small, basic but very comfortable and clean. The staff was very helpful and kind. Especially the ladies at breakfast. The breakfast itself is also very basic but the room is very cozy and the food is good quality. They offer beverages that are not on the table and toast if you request. The location is fantastic!
Coming form Victoria (the station you take when you come form the airports) take the bus and not the metro. I forgot the bus number but it stops close by and you do not need to carry up and down the stairs your heavy luggage. Greek restaurant is nice but very pricey on the corner accross from the hotel. A soup (not homemade) and 8 pieces of calamari was 30 dollars....ouch.
Enjoy your stay it is a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My friend and I had the opportunity to stay at the Caring Hotel several times during Spring 2014. We knew the place and location from a short stay a few years ago. Yes, the hotel is basic, some of the rooms are small, there are stairs (no lift), UK plumbing can be quirky (not just here), and the breakfast selection is simple. All to be expected but not a deal breaker. We note major updating to plumbing fixtures in many rooms. WiFi all good. The location is perfect, within a few blocks of local pubs, restaurants and local shopping. Buses and Tube within a few blocks, and Paddingtion Station only 10-15 minutes easy level walk. This is key for those using Heathrow. Because of my multiple reservations this year, I stayed in 4 different rooms, (small single to large double) from basement level to second floor. All were good although very different from tight to spacious, Front counter 24 hr. customer service always with a smile, and even a discount on final room which was found for me on an emergency basis when my travel plans did not match my accommodations. If you are travelling fairly light and are wiling to be flexible and open minded, the Caring Hotel is a great place. I would stay there again and recommend to my friends.

Room Tip: Read room descriptions carefully when booking. Cheaper small rooms are indeed small.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BCRadioOp
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed there five nights, on my own in a room for two. The hotel is on a quiet street, north of Kensington Gardens. Although it appears a little far from the bulk of attractions, I found its location to be extremely convenient: (1) close to Bayswater, Queensway, and Paddington stations if you care to move around in the tube, (2) was always able to find a bus line nearby, that took me close to my goal, (3) groceries and cafés nearby. Service is courteous, and desk is open 24 h. Check the details of your reservations: I was on the third floor (no elevators), and had to carry my suitcases up a rather narrow staircase; I've witnessed a very unhappy couple that had been booked on the 4th floor in spite of their request.

Room: it's not small, it's really-tiny-tiny -- even if you're alone, expect to bump unto yourself if you turn around too quickly. No closet -- you lost that one when they added a shower in the room (and the shower doesn't drain fast enough). No place to hang your wet towels -- use the window sill. No real working surface to speak of -- you are forever moving things from the bed to the small desk. I had to balance my laptop on the sink while doing whatever but brushing my teeth. I found I was loosing 30-45 min each day just to manage my stuff in such a small room, in which I found impossible to get organized efficiently.

Wi-Fi: reasonable. Could e-mail and send a few low-res pictures, but wouldn't try a Skype call or Face Time. Oh! Get your boarding pass ahead of time: Wi-Fi was down for more than 24 h when I needed mine, and had to go to an Internet Café.

Noise: hope for quiet neighbours.

Shared toilets: hope for clean neighbours, that don't use it too much at night.

Breakfast: Got to like Kellogs… All is Kellogs. No muesli. One canned fruit and one fresh. Always the same. Bread & jam & hard boiled eggs, coffee. That's it. So if you're on a "no gluten" or whatever regime, think twice. Get there early if you want a place to sit, or eat out if you don't want to spend more precious time at the hotel rather than at your preferred attractions in expensive London.

Would I go again? No. I'd try to find a larger room, better organized. Would I recommend to a friend? Only if cost is of the essence, and with a warning. What do I think of management & service? Hey! These are really nice people, and they do all they can within the constraints that are those of the hotel.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the 4th floor, or only if you have less than 8 kg of luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The hotel is definitely not one of those sleak hotel chains where the decor is carefully aligned and everything is shiney and new. However, it is a great basic option, where everything works as it should, for the traveller who cares more about the location than the amenities. The hotel is on a quiet street, 5 minutes from Hyde Park and Paddington, so everything is within reach. I stayed in one of the rooms with a shared toilet, but as the other reviewers have noted, it wasn't an issue and it was very cleanly kept (as were the rooms). The best parts: The check-in/out were the easiest I think I've ever had and the staff was really friendly, and unlike at some hotels, the advertised wifi worked flawlessly and not at a glacial pace (there's a network for every floor). If I really had to nit pick, the bed was lumpy, the curtains were not as long as the window, and there was no sound-proofing (so I was lucky to have quiet people on my floor and construction in the street that didn't start until 8am). But overall these things really didn't matter and the main memory I take with me is of the window directly facing a tree top and letting in the summer breeze from the lovely street. I would happily stay another time at Caring Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo