“Good hotel for those wanting to stay near Paddington”
Review of Castleton Hotel

Castleton Hotel
Ranked #899 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Rome, Italy
“Good hotel for those wanting to stay near Paddington”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I certainly recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget needing to stay near Paddington Station. I stayed at the Castleton for one night in January 2014 and it perfectly suited my needs. I had a late flight into Heathrow and was taking a train from Paddington the following day, so the location of the Castleton made it ideal for my needs. It is a solid low-to-mid range hotel. The pros and cons, in my humble opinion, are as follows:

Pros:
1. Location. As I said it was perfect for my need to get to Paddington in the morning. Being approximately only one block away from Paddington it is very convenient to both western rail and London’s tube system. The neighborhood has plenty of pubs, restaurants and other services any traveler might need.
2. Cleanliness. For such a small and inexpensive place I found this hotel immaculate. This was true for my room as well as the common areas.
3. Staff. All members of staff I encountered, from the front desk, to the restaurant staff at breakfast, to housekeeping were friendly and helpful. When I needed a slightly late checkout, my request was immediately and graciously granted.
4. Wifi. The wireless in my room worked extremely well with no interruptions.
5. The room. While small, the bed was comfortable and it had tea and coffee making facilities.
6. Free breakfast. While certainly not the best I’ve ever had, it was certainly not bad by any means – and it was included in the price of the room.
7. The price. While I know the prices fluctuate dramatically during the year, it was mid-winter when I stayed there and I further qualified for a special £5 off special the hotel was running. As such, a rate of £39/night could not be beat.

Cons:
1. The room. I know I put this as a pro, and it was for the reasons I noted, but the room was incredibly small. In fairness, I did only book a single en suite, so can’t comment on other rooms, but the bathroom in particular was barely big enough to shower in. As I only stayed at the hotel for one night, this was no problem, but I could see it being a bit difficult for longer stays.
2. Hallway size. This is a rather small hotel after all, but a small hallway combined with a rather old elevator means that whenever anyone came to my floor in the middle of the night, I could hear it. Lighter sleepers might have issues being woken up throughout the night.

Overall, I enjoyed the Castleton, particularly as I only needed to stay there one night. I would certainly recommend it to anyone needing, or wanting, to stay near Paddington Station

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank NoneNixNada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The bathroom was soooo tiny (not even small would describe it), only a submarine would produce such small space. A big person couldn't possible manage with it. And the worst thing, the pictures shown were fake, didn't show the actual thing. Thank G' we immediately found something much better and left after the first horrible night........

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Ana L
Mark0brien, General Manager at Castleton Hotel, responded to this review, 9 January 2014
Thanks you ‘Ana L’ for reviewing your stay at our hotel.
I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your time with us. I remember that you were originally booked to stay with us for 4 nights but on your first day decided to find somewhere cheaper to stay (my friend’s hotel around the corner). As widely publicised on all hotel review sites some of our rooms are compact and some have modular bathrooms so maybe a little research on your part would have been advisable before you booked a room with us. You and your husband were offered alternative rooms but you deemed them not fit and decided that you would rather stay with at my friends hotel around the corner. As you created such a fuss and were quite rude to the staff they decided to waive the late cancellation fee that would have been payable to the online booking portal you used and let you go without charge. The photographs of the rooms are taken in the hotel and therefore are a true representation of our standard.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night in a single room and couldn't have been happier. The staff were friendly and helpful, minding my bags before check in, and printing off my boarding passes. The breakfast was delicious. The bed was comfy and the room was very clean. New bathroom is great, and the shower was amazing.... One of the only hotels I've been to where water isn't leaking all over the floor. We plan to come back in january before or flight home.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Wincanton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2013

After researching many hotels in central London i decided on the Castleton and was pleasantly surprised! Perfect location, literally down the road from Paddington station and about 10 minutes to Hyde Park. Reception staff were lovely and very helpful. There were literally only two downsides: 1. we were on the top floor and the lift was broke (was fixed the day we left though). 2. The breakfast was very plain, especially as i'm vegetarian (eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, toast), however for the price we were happy enough!

Overall rooms were clean and cosy and the value for money was brilliant!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed at the Castleton hotel for 3 nights from 30th November. As we wanted a twin room near a tube station and only booking the night before we were stuck for choice and only wanted to pay up to approx £400.

On arriving at the hotel we got room 202. No lift was available so it was quite a struggle to carry the weekend cases upstairs. (But this had an advantage as when we checked out on Tuesday the lift was working but very noisy.)

On entering the room the smell of sick hit you and then looking inside the bathroom the smell of sewage hit you. The smell was overpowering - no way anyone who had any sense of smell could stay in there. We went back down to reception and he was aware of this smell and it is a common fault with this hotel.

There were no other twin rooms available so we had to take a double room (room 104). Although there was no smell in this room, the noise from the main street and adjacent busy side sheet (cafes and shops) was horrendous all night as the hotel was on a corner. Hotel only has old sash windows, no double glazing or secondary glazing. Every room must be noisy. Only those who are used to sleeping with all night traffic noise would get any sleep. The hairdryer in this room could not be used as when I turned it on it sparked so I turned it off and let reception know.

The next morning was very difficult for changing rooms as check out time wasn't until 11. We took room 100 as this was the best of a bad bunch. This room again was exceedingly noisy from street traffic and you could also hear running water from other rooms. A slight odour of sewage in bathroom from shower was still smelt, but after deodrant spray not too bad. As others have said the floorboards creak and must have been awful for anyone below us.

On coming back on our last night, toilet rolls and toiletries weren't replaced, so had to go down and get these from reception. Sink tap in this room was stiff and the shower temperature didn't work. Reported these on check out.

Rooms and bathrooms were as expected very small but adequate. Breakfast was limited but fresh and again adequate. Staff were very pleasant.

Would not recommend this hotel at all, unless you have no sense of smell and are deaf. We personally wouldn't stay at this hotel ever again.

• Stayed December 2013
2 Thank jadeg100
St. Louis
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

Okay I know that 3 adults and 1 child in one room is a crowd. But at least you'd be put a room big enough for you especially when they know that there is four of you. In the US our room would be a safety hazard. No room to move around or for our luggage. And do not let me start on the bathroom. It was a booth-like thingy like the ones you see on airplanes not a real bathroom just literally a hole in the wall. Twosies are almost impossible with this many people in one room lol. The only good thing about this hotel is the location really close to paddington and hyde park/oxford st area. And the staff were super cool and helpful as they helped us getting a ride to our next trip. Other than that this hotel is a joke.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Mandy8888
Mark0brien, General Manager at Castleton Hotel, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Many thanks ‘Mandy8888’ for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. As you rightly point out our hotel is superbly located next to Hyde Park and Oxford Street making it the ideal base for a stay in our city. I am sorry that you found your bedroom too small for you. As the hotel is formed of 2 town houses it is to be expected that the rooms will be compact as per the many comments on Tripadvisor.
The bathroom in the particular room is a modular one. These were installed as a space saving measure.
I am pleased to read that my staff were cool and helpful during your stay.
London
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The hotel was in Paddington, very accessible from Heathrow airport. The entire place was clean and cosy. The staff was also very friendly and willing to help wherever they can such as providing travel advice, printing services etc.

However, the twin room was slightly small and the room service did not replace the toiletries.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family