“Castleton”
Review of Castleton Hotel

Castleton Hotel
Ranked #902 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Small pod style bathroom was diffcult to shower or wash in. Otherwise good service and good location if a little noisy facing the main street. Room was clean and well presented. Flat panel TV on the wall was small.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Reviewed 24 February 2014

The hotel was clean and the staff were very helpful and the breakfast was more than acceptable. The hotel is in a quiet area but I was not able to take advantage of this as outside my room there were 4 noisy, industrial fans that were in action 24 hours a day. Worth the stay but check which room you have been allocated before committing to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
1  Thank Anthony H
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Hotel gave me a positive surprise even I got a small room in the cellar. Small rooms, and even mine was OK for one night. If you want a hotel close to Paddington this may be the one. We were 5 friends, the other had also OK rooms, clean and shower working. But all were small.

It is 5 minutes walk from Paddington, and restaurants and bars around.

Room Tip: Don´t stay in the cellar
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We were first given a room on the ground floor that felt like a poky, airless and claustrophobic cupboard, and we didn't want to sleep in a room on street level facing the street, so we asked to be moved upstairs. The next room was marginally more spacious, though tired and not particularly clean, but when we flushed the toilet a stench of raw sewage filled the room. The smell was strong enough to make me gag, so we had to insist on being moved again. Eventually we were given a third room further upstairs, which had only a vague odour of sewage (the smell was also present all the way up the stairwell, so I think it comes from pretty serious plumbing problems). None of the rooms looked anything like the photos I have seen online of the hotel.

The bathroom was a sort of plastic capsule that had been inserted into the corner of the room, and looked like the bathroom of a cheap, ageing caravan - plastic and decrepit. The sink didn't drain properly and the shower is directed into a corner of the floor. The mattresses were ancient, lumpy and uncomfortable, and the walls paper thin, so that every movement from all the rooms crammed in around us was audible. We were left only two tiny towels, and the window (that had some kind of badly done double glazing, and was therefore full of condensation) rattled all night, adding to the noise of other guests walking on the creaky floorboards, keeping us awake throughout the night.

We didn't try the breakfast, since when we walked into the poky, low-ceiling basement breakfast room, the smell of nasty greasy food was so unappealing we preferred to go elsewhere to eat.

If this hotel cost half what we paid (£168 for two nights) I think it would be reasonable value for money. As it was, it feels like a total rip off. If I were on my first trip to London and ended up in a dump like this hotel it would be a great shame. I would advise anyone considering staying in this hotel to avoid it at all costs. There are tons of hotels in the Paddington and they can't all be as stinky, vile and utterly depressing as this place.

Room Tip: Having seen 3 rooms in this hotel, I would say that travellers who would like a good room should loo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FionaBr
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I certainly recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget needing to stay near Paddington Station. I stayed at the Castleton for one night in January 2014 and it perfectly suited my needs. I had a late flight into Heathrow and was taking a train from Paddington the following day, so the location of the Castleton made it ideal for my needs. It is a solid low-to-mid range hotel. The pros and cons, in my humble opinion, are as follows:

Pros:
1. Location. As I said it was perfect for my need to get to Paddington in the morning. Being approximately only one block away from Paddington it is very convenient to both western rail and London’s tube system. The neighborhood has plenty of pubs, restaurants and other services any traveler might need.
2. Cleanliness. For such a small and inexpensive place I found this hotel immaculate. This was true for my room as well as the common areas.
3. Staff. All members of staff I encountered, from the front desk, to the restaurant staff at breakfast, to housekeeping were friendly and helpful. When I needed a slightly late checkout, my request was immediately and graciously granted.
4. Wifi. The wireless in my room worked extremely well with no interruptions.
5. The room. While small, the bed was comfortable and it had tea and coffee making facilities.
6. Free breakfast. While certainly not the best I’ve ever had, it was certainly not bad by any means – and it was included in the price of the room.
7. The price. While I know the prices fluctuate dramatically during the year, it was mid-winter when I stayed there and I further qualified for a special £5 off special the hotel was running. As such, a rate of £39/night could not be beat.

Cons:
1. The room. I know I put this as a pro, and it was for the reasons I noted, but the room was incredibly small. In fairness, I did only book a single en suite, so can’t comment on other rooms, but the bathroom in particular was barely big enough to shower in. As I only stayed at the hotel for one night, this was no problem, but I could see it being a bit difficult for longer stays.
2. Hallway size. This is a rather small hotel after all, but a small hallway combined with a rather old elevator means that whenever anyone came to my floor in the middle of the night, I could hear it. Lighter sleepers might have issues being woken up throughout the night.

Overall, I enjoyed the Castleton, particularly as I only needed to stay there one night. I would certainly recommend it to anyone needing, or wanting, to stay near Paddington Station

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank NoneNixNada
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The bathroom was soooo tiny (not even small would describe it), only a submarine would produce such small space. A big person couldn't possible manage with it. And the worst thing, the pictures shown were fake, didn't show the actual thing. Thank G' we immediately found something much better and left after the first horrible night........

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Ana L
Mark0brien, General Manager at Castleton Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

Thanks you ‘Ana L’ for reviewing your stay at our hotel.
I am sorry you didn’t enjoy your time with us. I remember that you were originally booked to stay with us for 4 nights but on your first day decided to find somewhere cheaper to stay (my friend’s hotel around the corner). As widely publicised on all hotel review sites some of our rooms are compact and some have modular bathrooms so maybe a little research on your part would have been advisable before you booked a room with us. You and your husband were offered alternative rooms but you deemed them not fit and decided that you would rather stay with at my friends hotel around the corner. As you created such a fuss and were quite rude to the staff they decided to waive the late cancellation fee that would have been payable to the online booking portal you used and let you go without charge. The photographs of the rooms are taken in the hotel and therefore are a true representation of our standard.

Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night in a single room and couldn't have been happier. The staff were friendly and helpful, minding my bags before check in, and printing off my boarding passes. The breakfast was delicious. The bed was comfy and the room was very clean. New bathroom is great, and the shower was amazing.... One of the only hotels I've been to where water isn't leaking all over the floor. We plan to come back in january before or flight home.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo