“Nice staff, great location but terrible hotel”
Review of My Place Hotel

My Place Hotel
Ranked #930 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Nice staff, great location but terrible hotel”
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

I was nervous about staying here after reading the reviews and I was right to be.

First the good points: nice staff. On reception and great location in Earls Court by the tube and exhibition centre. Comfortable mattress

Bad points: public areas are very old and carpets looked very unclean; I asked for a room facing the gardens but it was still VERY noisy from the late-bar; the room looked as if it hadn't been touched since 1980, very dated and it felt unclean but that may just have been because everything was do old.

Overall: I know £105 for a single isn't unusual for this area but I would not recommend staying here even for a night if noise or cleanliness are factors for you. The easy hotel would've been a better choice in hindsight and at less money

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank kiangarin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Nothing to write home about. Hard mattress, flat pillows, dirty phone, dirty remote, old dingy blankets, room warm and stuffy, even with window open in April- can't imagine it during the summer. Breakfast... not much there, hard boiled eggs, big bowl of yogurt , lunch meat, in fact never ate it, went out every morning. Card kept de-magnitizing, in fact every day of a week stay, small inconvenience but annoying none the less. But the biggest complaint I have is the night club located in the basement. Kept us up well past 2:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday even later than that because a fight broke out and spilled into the streets, police were called and the event went on for well over 2 hours. Had to be up early to catch a flight, no sleep at all. One positive- location close to tube, grocery store and McDonald's.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Megan P

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Mt Sterling
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The hotel is located next to a bar and is loud in the evenings. A fight broke on our last night there and kept us up until 3:00 a.m.The room was small, hot and looked like it had been furnished from Salvation Army. Curtains were missing hooks and couldn't be closed. Had to use a hair pin to close the curtains in the evening. Breakfast consisted of a plate of one type of cheese and lunch meat that looked like it had been out of the refrigerator too long, cereal and yogurt. No bread of any kind was available. Location was the only plus for this hotel. Located nexted to a Grocery Store, McDonalds and Tube.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the court yard are quiet.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Darlene D
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2012

I spent three nights in this hotel, after booking a travel package, and they passed pleasantly enough. The tube station is literally right down the road and there are several ATM's that take Visa and Mastercard nearby, as well as lots of places to eat. Frankly, i found the neighborhood to be lovely. There was lots of activity without being too intimidating and there were several small markets nearby to grab a few groceries, giving you an option to keep things inexpensive or splash out on something pricier.

The room itself was small, to an American, but also plenty of space for me. It contained a fan, a twin bed, a tiny wall-mounted table, a chair, a night stand, a small closet, a blowdryer, a room safe, and a very small wall mounted television. I did not feel like the hotel was thoroughly clean - the bedframe was very ornate and plainly had not been well dusted in months, there were rust stains in the tub and a peeling plastic cover over one of the side panels. It had also been some time since the bed had been pulled out to vacuum along the baseboards. Many of the "things" in the hotel seemed to be in some state of disrepair - from an (extremely) drippy coffee/tea machine to a broken vending machine in the lobby and a disorganized back garden used clearly for storage. That having been said, my linens smelled fresh, the shower curtain was practically new, and the surfaces were all very clean. (I think this was a situation of a hotel in need of a management walk-through and a weekend off to invest time into making repairs and detail cleaning, rather than more of a "light a match and walk away" situation.)

The staff, however, was extremely friendly and helpful. I am, by my very nature, tremendously anxious and was travelling internationally, and alone, for the first time. When I arrived I was a nervous wreck and they let me sit in their lounge while I waited for my room to be ready. One of the members of staff chatted with me for a bit about things to see and do and made a recommendation on how to spend a day. I took her up on it the next day and am very glad that I did. The continental breakfast consisted of yogurt (unflavored and berry, I believe), two types of cereal, orange juice, milk, meat, cheese, toast and two types of jam.

To speak to actual complaints for me, I am an avid member of the internet generation. My room was on the third floor and the wi-fi signal did not reach me, which meant I needed to spend several hours in the lounge each night to reach family members and upload photos. The situation, while not untenable, was also not ideal. A signal booster might be in order. Lastly, the walls at this hotel are paper thin and the mattresses are very very loud and squeaky. Having suffered four time changes in two weeks, my sleep schedule is slightly out of whack and I was certain I was annoying my neighbors every time I tossed and turned, as well as eavesdropping on their personal conversations.

Overall, I would absolutely stay at this hotel again, because I loved the neighborhood and I found it to be perfectly adequate, but when giving recommendations, I would qualify it with the above concerns about cleanliness, internet access, and general disrepair.

Room Tip: Room's on the first floor will have the best en suite wi-fi access - any higher and it's unl...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Kay215
Qualicum Beach, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Our room on the fourth floor was small but adequate, and the bed comfortable. Overlooked the back garden which, in early March, is not exactly in full bloom, but it sure beats looking out at a brick wall. Staff were very helpful with printing some documents we needed, and letting us store our luggage after check-out. Morning buffet was a bonus: juice and coffee, cereals, hard boiled eggs, ham and cheese, fruit and yogurt - more than I expected for a continental breakfast. It was easy to fill up and then just head out for a day of sightseeing, made all the easier because the tube station is just steps away.
Note: some earlier reviews included nasty photos, Tripadvisor should take these down as they do NOT reflect the current state of this property.

Room Tip: Upper floor on the back (garden) side for quiet.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Location was great but honestly,... the bed was so bad and the place was so small..
If you don't care about sleeping no biggie because its right next to the tube station so location was greatttt

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cindy L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed here for one night after a night out in town. First impressions are that the hotel is uncared for - broken vending machine in reception. The back garden has got lots of stuff thrown in it.
Our room was very small and when we got into bed, we realised that the duvet cover was stained. The receptionist on duty was pleasant and allocated us another, larger room - however the duvet was also filthy in that one.
The bedding in the third room seemed to be cleaner, but overall the room itself was pretty shabby - greying net curtains, dirt in the corners, stained carpet.
It was also incredibly noisy outside but the room was too hot to bear with closed curtains.
Breakfast was adequate - toast and cereal.
I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple