“Amazing Location”

My Place Hotel
Ranked #917 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Amazing Location”
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I am very biased on my opinion of this hotel because I am British-obsessed and it was my first night in London and my first time being in England. I was blinded by love. Let's start with the positives: Excellent location almost literally around the block from the Earls Court tube station and the neighborhood is adorable. There were many great eateries and shops close by. We ate at Nandos one night and it was really good! The room was clean and I appreciated the fact that the towels were sweetly folded and placed next to the hotel information packet. Hey, I'm easily won over.
I wouldn't call the rest negatives, necessarily. Nothing about our stay was unsafe, unsavory or uneasy. This is just FYI: Upon gratefully sitting on a toilet that was not housed in a closet, I almost went for a ride across the bathroom, as the toilet seat was in no way physically attached to the toilet. That was interesting. Also, it took me a bit to get the hang of how to flush the toilet too. After a bit I found the lever had to be pumped and then we were in business. None of the furniture matched, but that just added to the charm. The bed was the strangest bed I've ever slept in. It kind of leaned to one side, yet simultaneously had a Grand Canyon in the middle, so you didn't know if you were coming or going. Go on the free walking tour of London and you will be almost too tired to notice your boyfriend rolling over on top of you all night. Probably the strangest part of our stay was the continental breakfast. I have an open mind about new food, but the brown mystery meat and mammoth bowl of room temperature yogurt was just not appealing. My suggestion: go across the street to the bakery and have a hot crossed bun instead!
All in all, this is not a horrible place to stay. It's not fancy, but it's affordable and safe. Win win.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Overall the best thing about this place is the location, which is just around the corner from the tube station. The place is a bit run down, and doesn't smell fresh. The rooms are small and also the linen etc seemed worn and could be replaced. The carpets are also appearing worn and a tad dirty. The rooms on the 3rd floor are still quite noisy, and we had to keep the windows closed at all times. The bathroom is really really small, and there was a smell as well, although visibly clean. There is a lounge room/breakfast area which is very much welcomed by my group, since it became a meeting place for coffee, which is served throughout the day. Breakfast is the average toast and jam with coffee and cereals. I wouldn't say this is a 3 star, maybe more of a 2 star rating.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cuddles08
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My Place is convenient to the train & a pleasant walk to South Kensington Park.
The room was noisy. The bed was lumpy & creaky. Linens were worn & thin. The AC did not work & the bathroom was very small. It also had a musty
smell.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank gtargo123

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 June 2014

How they managed to get a 3* rating is a mystery, this hotel is a disaster area. Main banister in the lobby is dangerously loose, an accident waiting to happen. The room was very shabby, airless and the carpet stained. Bedding too didn't come across as looking very clean. The bathroom was too small, the shower in the bath virtually unusable since the water temperature was almost uncontrollable meaning scalding your feet since the water was very slow in running away. The basin taps only managed to produce a trickle of water. The ceiling was stained from water leakage above. The TV, despite the manager coming to take a look refused to work. Breakfast was poor, cheap nondescript fruit juice and instant coffee in a dining room that didn't look too clean either. We went elsewhere for breakfast. We had problems using our credit card to pay the bill despite 2 attempts, paid cash in the end and left not knowing if our card had also been charged. Fault must be with our card we were told. Funny it worked fine to get tube tickets shortly after. As it was we were not charged, but our short break was marred by the thought we might have been.
Only stay here if you really must.The only plus point is the close proximity to Earl's Court tube station.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank cityfan097
Danville, California
Reviewed 28 May 2014

While not a posh place, it certainly has everything one needs. The location is superb if you are out and about going in all directions. Located just 25 meters from a Earls Court Station, a station serving Picadilly, Central and District, getting about the city with minimal line changes was a breeze! The room was a very good size for a London budget hotel. We had private bath, flat screen tv and mini-frig. Internet was only downstairs in the lounge, breakfast room and lobby, yet all the nice sofas and back pillows made it a welcoming place to hang out online. Something a little different...they leave the pot on so there is always hot tea and coffee available in the lounge. They also have a lovely private garden with tables and chairs to laze in the sun. While not posh, the location and amenities would make this hotel a solid choice for any traveller.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vickie_Nagy
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The location is convenient and the receptionist was friendly, but that's really all I can say in terms of positive attributes here. A bit of an effort has been made to make the lobby look recently remodeled, but that ends once you step out of the elevator. Carpets are stained, wrinkled, and tired, and the dated upholstery on the dark wood furniture is threadbare and torn in places.

Our room was fairly spacious and included a full-size tub in the bath, but the windows were weirdly at floor level and covered with a heavy grate to keep guests from falling into the garden several stories below. The room seemed clean enough, but the bed and pillows were cheap and hard; the seat on the little vanity stool was broken, so it was impossible to sit on without risking injury. Rounding out the depressing room decor were two bare fluorescent bulbs over the bed.

The shampoo provided was bright green and came out in wobbly lumps, and smelled like lime flavoring...if it hadn't foamed up, I could have sworn it was lime Jell-O! We decided not to even try the breakfast, and had a very good one at the pub across the street instead.

All in all, not cheap enough to justify the shabby, cheerless rooms on offer.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jessee S
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel was disappointing. We chose it because it was fairly close to the Olympia trade show grounds. The place apparently ownes a night club that is attached to the hotel. Music was played Saturday night so loudly that it was difficult to sleep--even 6 floors above the music.

The elevator did not work to the 4th floor, so because I had a lot of heavy luggage, my room had to be reassigned to the 6th floor.

Finally, breakfast begins at 8:00 (on weekends and on weekdays). This makes the breakfast not very practical for business people. On top if that, we had breakfast included in the price of our rooms. I attempted to request a vegan breakfast for each of us. We had to miss the breakfast on the 1st day, because the breakfast started too late. On the 2nd day, we attempted to have breakfast, but other than having presented us with a carton of soy milk, no other preparations had been made. No one knew which of the products were vegan and which ones were not. We managed anyway. On the third day, there was not even any soy milk left.

I don't expect perfection in a service business. I do, however, expect that more effort is put into making the customer happy.

This was a disappointing experience. The hotel is definitely not "my place"...

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business