“Stay on the lower floors!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of My Place Hotel

My Place Hotel
Ranked #914 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Carbondale, PA
“Stay on the lower floors!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here on two different trips to London. The first time, in April 2012, we were on the 3rd floor. It was okay. Good price for London, excellent location near the tube and restaurants. This time, however, we were on the 6th floor in June. It was stifling hot, almost impossible to sleep. We got terrible colds, probably from the fan blowing on us at night in order to try to sleep. Of course, they told us there wasn't anything else available. Miserable stay. Would never have come back if our first stay had been so uncomfortable. They need to do some basic maintenance. The ceiling tiles in the hall outside the elevator on the 6th floor has disgusting and scary looking black stains covering a huge area. It is beyond gross. It would take very little money, time and effort to fix that. Makes you wonder how much the owner cares.

Room Tip: If you stay in the warmer months, make sure your room is on the lower floors.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

Stayed there because the location was convenient, will not stay there again. We found a cockroach in the room and were made to deal with it ourselves, we managed to trap it under a glass and slide it out of the room. We were told someone would deal with it then, but the next morning it was still there and when we checked out, not even an apology for this! Staff were friendly up until that point but did not understand out concerns, I expected some kind of apology for what happened! Not the cleanest of hotels so glad their breakfast was too late as we had to be out early both mornings. No hair dryer provided in the room or tea/ coffee making facilities which I found odd as most places provide this!

Room Tip: I would avoid this hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank s_santoss

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We arrived early and were able to leave luggage in a back room, but when we came back at check-in time the room wasn't ready. Location was handy, but we found a cockroach in our room, and had to get rid of it ourselves. Toilet seat was broken and bathroom floor tiles were wobbly. It didn't seem dirty as such but there were little cobwebs around the room, which made it look a bit tired. Breakfast was served from 8am, which seems a bit late. We had to leave early so couldn't have any, but considering the cockroach perhaps that wasn't a bad thing.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Cath P
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have never written a review before but felt compelled to write one about this hotel. Firstly our room was small, there was no air cond even thought there was a thermostat on the wall and we couldn't leave a window open which made the room really hot, the furniture had broken handles, the curtains had stains, paint was pealing off the walls, the toilet didn't flush properly and the room needed a good clean. The continental breakfast was ordinary, the dining room had paint pealing off the walls and the outside facilities had rubbish on the ground and also needed a clean. the staff were not friendly and found it hard to smile. On a positive note the location to Earls Ct tube was great and the My Place nite club wasn't open when we were there in early July.

Room Tip: Not sure if that would be possible at this hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy S
Moscow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

It is very cliner and qute big room. The best location (5 min) near metro Earl's court. 15 min before centre and 10 min. to realwaystaton Victoria/ Very poor breakfast and no internet in room, and quite slowly in lobby.

Room Tip: If you don't need to use Internet, it is a good variant.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Oksana K
East Lothian, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This hotel is well located, and the staff, especially the breakfast waitress, are pleasant and helpful.
Shame about the standard of cleanliness and maintenance. None of the windows in the top floor twin room could be opened, and we spent an uncomfortable hot night without ventilation.
Peeling paint in the bathroom ceiling was flaking into the bath and a strong smell of cigarette smoke was coming in through a dirty vent. The carpet was badly stained, the sheer curtains were filthy and two of the blinds were broken, as was the headboard on one of the beds.
The lovely secluded garden off the breakfast room would be so nice if the rubbish lying around was removed and the garden weeded, and decking scrubbed.
Come on owners, you have a gem here, give it a polish!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Anne-Marie N
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

I am very biased on my opinion of this hotel because I am British-obsessed and it was my first night in London and my first time being in England. I was blinded by love. Let's start with the positives: Excellent location almost literally around the block from the Earls Court tube station and the neighborhood is adorable. There were many great eateries and shops close by. We ate at Nandos one night and it was really good! The room was clean and I appreciated the fact that the towels were sweetly folded and placed next to the hotel information packet. Hey, I'm easily won over.
I wouldn't call the rest negatives, necessarily. Nothing about our stay was unsafe, unsavory or uneasy. This is just FYI: Upon gratefully sitting on a toilet that was not housed in a closet, I almost went for a ride across the bathroom, as the toilet seat was in no way physically attached to the toilet. That was interesting. Also, it took me a bit to get the hang of how to flush the toilet too. After a bit I found the lever had to be pumped and then we were in business. None of the furniture matched, but that just added to the charm. The bed was the strangest bed I've ever slept in. It kind of leaned to one side, yet simultaneously had a Grand Canyon in the middle, so you didn't know if you were coming or going. Go on the free walking tour of London and you will be almost too tired to notice your boyfriend rolling over on top of you all night. Probably the strangest part of our stay was the continental breakfast. I have an open mind about new food, but the brown mystery meat and mammoth bowl of room temperature yogurt was just not appealing. My suggestion: go across the street to the bakery and have a hot crossed bun instead!
All in all, this is not a horrible place to stay. It's not fancy, but it's affordable and safe. Win win.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple