“Over-rated but good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of 196 Bishopsgate

196 Bishopsgate
Ranked #462 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
“Over-rated but good location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

The photographs and the floor plans for the one bedroom apartment on the web site did not reflect reality. So it was not as spacious as depicted.
Fancy design but not very practical for an apartment. Leather seating not very practical or comfortable - settee pretty worn. Glass tops to tables not secured so risk sliding off. No drawers in the kitchen so worktop space used for utensils. Why?
Shower head not working properly, connection to taps leaked and no single controller of water temperature so risk of scalding. Shower screen did not fit so water leaked over the floor.
Staff helpful but seemed to be only one on duty at a time for the whole set of apartments.
Only there for a couple of days so ok for that but I would try to find an alternative for anything longer. Not value for money for me but others may find it ok.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JonG100
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback on our Trip Advisor page, I'm sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations on your recent stay with us at 196 Bishopsgate.

Were any of these listed comments brought to the attention of the reception? I'm sure that we would have tried our best to accommodate you to your specifications by room changing you if necessary.

I hope that this situation does not deter you to stay with us again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly should you require assistance with your future booking.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Duns, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013

I was working in London, but also it was our anniversary, so I decided to make the residential part a bit more special.
196 lived up to that.
Right across from Liverpool St., makes it the perfect base. You can also walk to Spitalfields and Brick Lane - excellent hipster viewing :)
Round the corner from Grapeshots - so even better!
There is a 24 hour supermarket very close (can't remember the brand - they are all alike), and the police station is almost next door!
Rooms spotless...
Only gripe was the safe failed as we were leaving! Luckily we weren't on a tight deadline, so I could wait in for the technician!
Would stay again...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Blellum
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 10 January 2014
Dear Guest,

I want to wish you happy anniversary and thank you for sharing your experience on our tripadvisor page.

I'm delighted to know that we were able to play part in such a very special time in your life. thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers, also thank you for the high scores and praises. This is the type of experience we strive to provide to all of our guests!

Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

As usual, the apartment was just as awesome as ever. Everything laid out and ready, heating is excellent and you get to control how hot you want it. Plenty of facilities if you want to stay in the apartment, but I love getting out and seeing London.

The staff here are amazingly helpful and always come up with the answers to my questions and even booking a limo for me, excellent thank you.

Room Tip: I always go for the apartment as it's like a mini home from home. Nice atmosphere!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Stephen R
Dear Guest,

I am sure the team will be thrilled with your review when I shared it with them in our next meeting.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance with your future booking. Hope to welcome you soon.

Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

This was our second visit and we were impressed again. The apartment was immaculate. There was plenty of room, the bed was comfortable. We only used it for a night after a social event nearby, but there is a good kitchen, washing machine, ironing board, and if I was staying in London for a week this would be an even better choice. Given hotel prices in London the price charged represented very good value. The breakfast, delivered to our door in a little basket was just fine. Banana, apples, very good croissants, cereal. Impressed by the follow-up by customer services: we had a slight problem checking in because the reception staff were off premises. (7/8 min delay)
We had a room at the back, and there was a noisy bar below, but it had closed by bed-time.

Room Tip: Shop around for a good price. The agent we used charged £30 cheaper than the competition.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tim W
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and also for taking time to share your experience on your last visit to 196 Bishopsgate on our TripAdvisor page. We are pleased and appreciate your repeated business.

I apologise for your delayed check-in and this would be investigated further. I can also see that you had a great stay and this is something we are always please to see.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I look forward to have the pleasure to welcome you back at 196 Bishopsgate in the near future, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Leiden, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed in a 2 bedroom executive apartment last weekend and was not impressed. The location right across the (very busy) street from Liverpool Street station is the main draw for people who are arriving or departing from there: you can leave your bags at reception at no charge when arriving before check-in time, and again when departing after check-out time. The accommodation itself is nothing to write home about. It's an older building with a tiny and unimpressive entrance hall. The staircase with tiny elevator is again not grand. Our room on the 4th floor had an internal staircase. Not great when staying with a 2 year old. The bathroom was small and only offered a shower over a tub, not a separate shower cabine. The living room was spacious and well decorated, with a really good quality couch and chairs, but the windows looking out into Bishopsgate were so small and high up that we could only look outside when standing up and next to the window. Nothing like the picture windows you would find in more modern buildings. The sound proofing of the windows varies from one room to another and also the internal walls and floors are not sound proof. The roll down curtains in the bedrooms leave wide gaps on the sides which makes them ineffective when you plan to sleep after sunrise or - as in our case - when you're travelling with a child who needs to do an afternoon nap. At a rate of 230 pounds per night I think these drawbacks are a bit too many and too serious. I will not start here again during future visits to London but return to one of the more modern apartment hotels in the Canary Wharf area. Much less convenient in terms of location but far more comfortable in all other respects.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Chris_Jetten
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, I'm sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion. I've noticed that you were not impressed by the stair case in your two bedroom apartment, was this reported to reception? Doing so we would have been able to offer you a flat level two bedroom apartment which would have better to your means. The property is undergoing a face lift which includes: The Lobby, Lift, Hallways; etc. I'm pretty sure that the next time you visit you will be impressed by the massive change.
I urge for a second opportunity to stay with us to rehabilitate your first views about us.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We stayed at 196 Bishopsgate this weekend just gone. We had the penthouse apartment, a one bed and a couple of two bed apartments. We were really impressed by all of the apartments, they really did exceed all expectations. The amenities were fantastic, including a washing machine and dishwasher (complete with tablets) and the location is fantastic being just across the road from Liverpool Street.

The service we received throughout our stay was faultless and all the staff we encountered were both friendly and professional. The staff managed to have one of the rooms ready early so that we could all drop our bags off and freshen up, which we really appreciated. Also a lovely lady on reception (Annabelle I think) chased up a lost scarf for us which was really special to one of the members of our party and is having it post out. Thank you so much!

I will without a doubt recommend 196 Bishopsgate (in fact already have to quite a few) and plan to return in the near future.

Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank lucyrhodes87
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and for recommending us to the readers of this website. The whole team and myself are extremely pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectations. This is the type of experience we strive to provide to all of our guests.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

I am a regular guest at 196Bishopsgate since 2-3 years now. Highly recommend if you travel to London City. Lots of places to eat and drink around. Close to underground and train station. Spacious rooms. Just you need to ask at the reception to turn the hit on.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and for recommending us to the readers of this website. We appreciate your repeated business.

It's good to see our repeated guest coming by on our Trip advisor page to share their experiences.