“The worst place I've ever stayed in”
Review of 196 Bishopsgate

196 Bishopsgate
Ranked #445 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel seems unable to control large rowdy groups that make their way into apartments for parties. After being kept awake by a loud party until 1 am on a Friday night, I'm about to experience the same again the following night. Security cameras don't exist and there's little monitoring of who comes and goes. Whilst clean and in a convenient location, if you want to actually sleep at night, best to stay elsewhere

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience during your last stay with us at 196 Bishopsgate, what you've shared on our page is not something that is normal at our property such as parties; un-controlling large crowds etc. knowing our major target market being business guest since we near to the financial district in London.

Our property is well secure based on security where no one is allow to access entry to the hotel main door besides using the room key cards or opened personally by our staff. We also have a 24 hour continuous surveillance cameras through-out key areas of the hotel.

I hope welcome you once again to 196 Bishopsgate Service apartments.

Regards

Guest Relations

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This was the all around best value and best location of any hotel in London! Its a great place to stay because its really easy to get around with the train station and underground tube so close. Very friendly receptionists, very easy to check in there. Love the simplicity of the rooms and comfort of the bed! I enjoyed having my own kitchen and refrigerator in the room, it just makes the trip that much easier. I was looking for price and location when choosing my place to stay and this was the #1 place on my search. Being centrally located allowed me to see all the sights in the city. There are also many different restaurants and bars within walking distance. There is huge value to this hotel with everything they offer and where its located. I would recommend this hotel for families or single travelers. Thank you for a great experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words reviewing your stay at 196 Bishopsgate. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience; from the comfort of the apartment, the location of the property and the services you encountered.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family and I recently stayed at 196 Bishopsgate and we were rather happy with our stay. When we first arrived I was a bit disappointed with the apt/room as I think it looks a lot more open and spacious in the photos however, after unpacking and using our suitcases as doorstops, we did appreciate the space and how it gave us some sense of privacy with 5 people in one apartment. The rooms are very clean however, there was a bit of a strange smell. I am not sure if its the cleaning products or the air from outside, but it did smell a bit strange. The bathroom was also clean, lots of towels, good shower and tub and yes, a washer dryer. We wish that there was a sleeper couch in the living room as it looks like someone can sleep on the couch but in the pictures it looked a lot bigger and its only really the size of a loveseat, resulting in us having to request a cot at a nightly cost of 55 pounds per night. The location is ideal, being a half a block from Liverpool Station and easily connected to many popular tourist spots. In general, the neighborhood around is also great, full of life during the week and with many conveniences, such as a great cafe downstairs for easy grab and go coffee and snacks. Overall, would stay again but just this time a bit more informed about the layout and space.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and also for taking time to share your experience on your last visit to 196 Bishopsgate on our TripAdvisor page.

I am really pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and everything that surrounds our property. We never received any complaints about having strange smells in the apartments but it's something I can always pass to the relevant department to have a look into. Thank you for bringing your concerns to me and we will surely have a look into them to ensure that your next stay is seamless.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 196 Bishopsgate.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

We rented a one bedroom apartment for an 7 night stay. The unit was comfortable and well furnished, quiet at night and immaculately clean. We arrived before the check in time, and the staff person immediately gave us access to the unit. The queen sized bed was comfortable, and the kitchen fully equipped with every necessary appliance/ implement to cook a meal.Individually controlled heat, and a very small foyer was perfect for luggage storage. The daily maid service was meticulous and the unit was always pristine when we returned. There is a combination washer/dryer in a small utility area off the bathroom. Only possible negative is that the (very small) elevator does not stop at every floor- we had to pull our bags up six stairs, and through a fire door.Its ideal for the independent traveler- but if you are looking for a full service hotel with concierge, tour desk, on site dining etc this is not for you- it is essentially an apartment building with a reception desk and maid service. The property is ideally located for London visitors- directly across the street from a major Tube hub station, and a block from a fully stocked Tesco, M &S Food, etc.It is not a "touristy" area,it is full of high rise offices, banks, etc. Everything you could need is nearby-a pharmacy next door, shops steps away and pubs and cafes abound in the neighborhood, which we felt was safe. The property is very near the Roman wall boundary, and an easy walk to the Tower Bridge, the Gherkin building, financial district and several small interesting museums. St. Paul's is about a 25 minute walk or a 5/10 minute Tube ride.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carol B
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Guest,

I shall pass your positive feedback to the team who looked after you and I shall look forward to welcoming you back to 196 Bishopsgate in the near future,

Reviewed 8 January 2014

We are from the Netherlands, we have been several times before in London, but this was the first time at Bishopsgate. For us very easy to reach, we came by boat and train. The location is opposite the train/underground. We liked the environment. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean

Room Tip: We had a good without asking
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ellen510

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your feedback here following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read your comments, in particular about our fantastic staff. On behalf of all of us here, We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

I went here for New Year's Eve with my family.. My parents booked it last year and got it pretty cheap. The staff, people, rooms, apartments everything was perfect, we stayed in room 504 on the 5th floor and had a brilliant time, it's very homely and you've got everything! Even down to a tin opener or bottle opener! I was very impressed. I work in a 5star hotel and usually very picky but there's nothing I could complain about in the apartment. We ordered to roll away beds as well and the staff brought it up stairs straight into the rooms where we wanted them. The staff were very friendly and funny :) only issue I had was the lift, it's really small and extremely slow but other then that perfect. Thank you to the staff at 196 and happy new year xx

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank Nicole1992hackett

Dear Guest,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!, We appreciate all your high scores and praises, this is the type of experience we strive to provide to all of our guests.

The team would be proud to read that once again they were able to accomplish the mission of satisfying another happy departing guest.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any assistance with your future booking. Hope to welcome you soon.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The photographs and the floor plans for the one bedroom apartment on the web site did not reflect reality. So it was not as spacious as depicted.
Fancy design but not very practical for an apartment. Leather seating not very practical or comfortable - settee pretty worn. Glass tops to tables not secured so risk sliding off. No drawers in the kitchen so worktop space used for utensils. Why?
Shower head not working properly, connection to taps leaked and no single controller of water temperature so risk of scalding. Shower screen did not fit so water leaked over the floor.
Staff helpful but seemed to be only one on duty at a time for the whole set of apartments.
Only there for a couple of days so ok for that but I would try to find an alternative for anything longer. Not value for money for me but others may find it ok.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JonG100

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and constructive feedback on our Trip Advisor page, I'm sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations on your recent stay with us at 196 Bishopsgate.

Were any of these listed comments brought to the attention of the reception? I'm sure that we would have tried our best to accommodate you to your specifications by room changing you if necessary.

I hope that this situation does not deter you to stay with us again in the near future. Please feel free to contact me directly should you require assistance with your future booking.