“Great Location, helpful reception, spacious accomodation”
Review of 196 Bishopsgate

196 Bishopsgate
Ranked #444 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I am recommending 196 Bishopsgate to colleagues and friends visiting London. For business trips, the location is great: right in the City, close proximity to business meeting and it offers a nice oasis between meetings (with wireless connection and the spaciousness of a flat, it is a good place for catching up on business correspondence). It makes no sense to stay in a hotel room when one can stay in a flat.

Travel further afield is simple as apartments are located just across the street from Liverpool station. In fact, I used the Heathrow Express to travel to Paddington Station and then it was an easy connection to LIverpool, cross the street, and check-in at reception. Throughout my stay each individual at reception was friendly and helpful (e.g. providing a change room for me to get out of airport clothes when I arrived at a very early hour from the airport and the flat would not be ready until the afternoon).

The location is also wonderful for enjoying London's historical and cultural spots, ranging from the Tower of London, the re-made Globe to more modern treasures such as the National Theatre and Tate Modern.

The immediate neighbourhood contains some good restaurants and cafes. Some tips on places to visit:
Beautiful Indian food with quality ingredients and a gourmet flair for lunch or dinner

Breakfast -- great coffee just around the corner (good coffee is just next door) at Taylor St Baristas:
1A New St, London EC2M 4TP ‎ 65 ft NW
020 7929 2207 ‎ • taylor-st.com

Healthy snacks or meals to heat up in the apartment can be procured at Planet Organic;

There are nice boutique shops and cafes a short stroll away near Shoreditch station:

The National Theatre is fairly close – even if tickets are sold out for a play, queuing at noon the day of the play for returns can be a cheap way of seeing great theatre (I saw Lear for 12 pounds the Sunday that I arrived)

The Southwark markets are fun to stroll through (and don’t miss the Cathedral and of course stroll by the Rose Theatre and the Globe)–and there is fantastic chocolate shop, Rabot 1745:

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jsengupta
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear Guest,

I am always thrilled to read positive feedbacks like yours, you couldn’t have summarised your experience any better. I must say that you are on point with your description. Your high scores and comments are very much appreciated. The team would be happy to know that all our hard work has brought another happy guest.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back at 196 Bishopsgate in the near future, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here in April 2013 and have booked again in August 2014. It is great value and spacious by London standards. The location is very convenient being opposite Liverpool St Station with plenty of food outlets close by.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T0ny1948

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such high scores and praise of your stay with us on our TripAdvisor page. It is always pleasure to read how much you enjoyed staying with us.

We appreciate your repeated business and look forward to your arrival in August. In the mean-time if you require any assistance regarding your booking, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

These apartments have a great location, just in front of the Liverpool station. So, metro, trains and many stores are right there, making it quite convenient. In the opposite direction (the area behind the apartments) there are many options on Indian restaurants; and not so far it's possible to take the night tour about the Jack the ripper's history.

My husband and I stayed 3 times here when our daughter was living nearby. At this time, we stayed just a couple of days. The apartment is light and well decorated. It has a separated bedroom, bathroom with a reasonably shower and living room including a small open fully equipped kitchen. makes it convenient for having for instance breakfast by yourself, because of the appliances. In case someone prefers no having the trouble to prepare his/her own breakfast, there is an option of ordering it to be delivered in the morning. It comes in a basket with milk, bread, fruits, yogurt and so.

It is well cleaned and the service good. Although it could profit of having some renovation.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words reviewing your stay at 196 Bishopsgate. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience; from the comfort of the apartment, the location of the property and the service you encountered.

We look forward welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

We've stayed twice, so we tried 2 flats. The flats are big with 2 separate rooms, a nice bathroom, an equipped kitchen, 2 (or 3) TVs, it is very comfortable. It is across from Liverpool Street station (metro and train), what is very convenient. There is a good supermarket very close to the flat, a few restaurants, pubs, and fast food restaurants nearby. There is 24 hour service at the reception and everyday cleaning service in the flat. People were very helpful. The street is a little busy and a little noisy (1st floor), but it does not bother because the rooms are on the back of the flat, so it is silent. The beds are comfortable, the sheets are good quality. In the first flat we stayed at, there were 3 or 4 stairs in the corridor, and in the second one, there were 6 or 8 stairs, what was a little inconvenient.

Room Tip: Ask for flats with the rooms on the back and few stairs in the corridor
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Maria Amalia S
OpsMng, Director of Operations at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for sharing your experience on our page on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed staying at 196 Bishopsgate on both occasions. all your comment will be taken on board and I hope to be able to welcome you back at the residence in the near future. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel seems unable to control large rowdy groups that make their way into apartments for parties. After being kept awake by a loud party until 1 am on a Friday night, I'm about to experience the same again the following night. Security cameras don't exist and there's little monitoring of who comes and goes. Whilst clean and in a convenient location, if you want to actually sleep at night, best to stay elsewhere

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience during your last stay with us at 196 Bishopsgate, what you've shared on our page is not something that is normal at our property such as parties; un-controlling large crowds etc. knowing our major target market being business guest since we near to the financial district in London.

Our property is well secure based on security where no one is allow to access entry to the hotel main door besides using the room key cards or opened personally by our staff. We also have a 24 hour continuous surveillance cameras through-out key areas of the hotel.

I hope welcome you once again to 196 Bishopsgate Service apartments.

Regards

Guest Relations

Reviewed 21 February 2014

This was the all around best value and best location of any hotel in London! Its a great place to stay because its really easy to get around with the train station and underground tube so close. Very friendly receptionists, very easy to check in there. Love the simplicity of the rooms and comfort of the bed! I enjoyed having my own kitchen and refrigerator in the room, it just makes the trip that much easier. I was looking for price and location when choosing my place to stay and this was the #1 place on my search. Being centrally located allowed me to see all the sights in the city. There are also many different restaurants and bars within walking distance. There is huge value to this hotel with everything they offer and where its located. I would recommend this hotel for families or single travelers. Thank you for a great experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words reviewing your stay at 196 Bishopsgate. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience; from the comfort of the apartment, the location of the property and the services you encountered.

I shall pass your positive feedback to the team who looked after you and I shall look forward to welcoming you back to 196 Bishopsgate in the near future

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My family and I recently stayed at 196 Bishopsgate and we were rather happy with our stay. When we first arrived I was a bit disappointed with the apt/room as I think it looks a lot more open and spacious in the photos however, after unpacking and using our suitcases as doorstops, we did appreciate the space and how it gave us some sense of privacy with 5 people in one apartment. The rooms are very clean however, there was a bit of a strange smell. I am not sure if its the cleaning products or the air from outside, but it did smell a bit strange. The bathroom was also clean, lots of towels, good shower and tub and yes, a washer dryer. We wish that there was a sleeper couch in the living room as it looks like someone can sleep on the couch but in the pictures it looked a lot bigger and its only really the size of a loveseat, resulting in us having to request a cot at a nightly cost of 55 pounds per night. The location is ideal, being a half a block from Liverpool Station and easily connected to many popular tourist spots. In general, the neighborhood around is also great, full of life during the week and with many conveniences, such as a great cafe downstairs for easy grab and go coffee and snacks. Overall, would stay again but just this time a bit more informed about the layout and space.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback and also for taking time to share your experience on your last visit to 196 Bishopsgate on our TripAdvisor page.

I am really pleased that you and your family enjoyed your stay and everything that surrounds our property. We never received any complaints about having strange smells in the apartments but it's something I can always pass to the relevant department to have a look into. Thank you for bringing your concerns to me and we will surely have a look into them to ensure that your next stay is seamless.

We look forward to welcoming you back to 196 Bishopsgate.