“Excellent hotel for a short business trip in the City”
Review of 196 Bishopsgate

196 Bishopsgate
Ranked #461 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Excellent hotel for a short business trip in the City”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Always prefer this hotel over other options around Liverpool street.... Very convenient location, good service, nice rates.....Just ask the concierge to turn on the heater during cold periods - it can get really cold in the room........

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience and for recommending us to the readers of this website. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Edina MN
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is probably the 8th time I've stayed here over the past 6 years and the pluses are still pluses, but the minuses continue to grow. On the plus side, the location can't be beat, the neighbourhood Tesco is a real plus, the size of the rooms are terrific, the full kitchen is excellent and the internet is free and quite good. Also, I had a mixup on our reservation (my fault) and the reservation team was extremely helpful and creative.

However....they must screen the people at reception for a complete unwillingness to smile and be friendly. I would think there is a system to identify repeat customers and welcome them back. Our room (103) faced the main street and one of the windows wouldn't close leaving a gap at the top of the window allowing air and street noise to blast in. We reported this and nothing was ever done about it and no one ever contacted us. (This surely couldn't have been new and housekeeping must have been aware of this.)

Not only did we have the street noise, but one of the bedrooms was right next to all of the heating and air conditioning equipment which rested on top of a roof at the same level as the room. We needed to run fans at night to mask all of this noise.

The furniture in the living room is really beat up as well and should be replaced or reupholstered.

The mattresses were thin and you could feel the springs/coils. These were supposedly new, but you would never see this kind of mattress at a similar property in London. Additionally, there is now box spring; this is just a mattress on top of a wooden platform. Again, this is not a normal occurrence for a higher quality property.

I would really love to see the management of this property spend time there. I've stayed at the nearby Town Hall property which is quite deluxe and quite special; there is no reason that the same level of TLC can't be applied to 196.

I would stay at 196 every time I come to London if they could make this happen.

I filled out a survey after staying here and got a response from the Operations manager. They offered me a 15% discount the next time I stayed there. I would much rather be told that the issues have been addressed and fixed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank russr
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, your repeated business and also for taking time to share your experience on your last visit to 196 Bishopsgate on our TripAdvisor page.

I'm sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your full expectations on this trip. We are constantly listening to our guest to improve our services here at 196 Bishopsgate.

Friendliness and warm welcomes are some of the things we place a lot of emphasis on, and I can assure you that further training would be in place to improve the service at our reception. I will also bring up your other concerns to higher manager for further investigation.

Although I'm aware you've stayed with us on countless occassion with great lodging experience I urge for another opportunity to stay with us to rehabilitate your last view about us.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I am recommending 196 Bishopsgate to colleagues and friends visiting London. For business trips, the location is great: right in the City, close proximity to business meeting and it offers a nice oasis between meetings (with wireless connection and the spaciousness of a flat, it is a good place for catching up on business correspondence). It makes no sense to stay in a hotel room when one can stay in a flat.

Travel further afield is simple as apartments are located just across the street from Liverpool station. In fact, I used the Heathrow Express to travel to Paddington Station and then it was an easy connection to LIverpool, cross the street, and check-in at reception. Throughout my stay each individual at reception was friendly and helpful (e.g. providing a change room for me to get out of airport clothes when I arrived at a very early hour from the airport and the flat would not be ready until the afternoon).

The location is also wonderful for enjoying London's historical and cultural spots, ranging from the Tower of London, the re-made Globe to more modern treasures such as the National Theatre and Tate Modern.

The immediate neighbourhood contains some good restaurants and cafes. Some tips on places to visit:
Beautiful Indian food with quality ingredients and a gourmet flair for lunch or dinner

Breakfast -- great coffee just around the corner (good coffee is just next door) at Taylor St Baristas:
1A New St, London EC2M 4TP ‎ 65 ft NW
020 7929 2207 ‎ • taylor-st.com

Healthy snacks or meals to heat up in the apartment can be procured at Planet Organic;

There are nice boutique shops and cafes a short stroll away near Shoreditch station:

The National Theatre is fairly close – even if tickets are sold out for a play, queuing at noon the day of the play for returns can be a cheap way of seeing great theatre (I saw Lear for 12 pounds the Sunday that I arrived)

The Southwark markets are fun to stroll through (and don’t miss the Cathedral and of course stroll by the Rose Theatre and the Globe)–and there is fantastic chocolate shop, Rabot 1745:

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jsengupta
Dear Guest,

I am always thrilled to read positive feedbacks like yours, you couldn’t have summarised your experience any better. I must say that you are on point with your description. Your high scores and comments are very much appreciated. The team would be happy to know that all our hard work has brought another happy guest.

Thank you again for your kind comments and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back at 196 Bishopsgate in the near future, should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed here in April 2013 and have booked again in August 2014. It is great value and spacious by London standards. The location is very convenient being opposite Liverpool St Station with plenty of food outlets close by.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank T0ny1948
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such high scores and praise of your stay with us on our TripAdvisor page. It is always pleasure to read how much you enjoyed staying with us.

We appreciate your repeated business and look forward to your arrival in August. In the mean-time if you require any assistance regarding your booking, please feel free to contact me directly.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 March 2014

These apartments have a great location, just in front of the Liverpool station. So, metro, trains and many stores are right there, making it quite convenient. In the opposite direction (the area behind the apartments) there are many options on Indian restaurants; and not so far it's possible to take the night tour about the Jack the ripper's history.

My husband and I stayed 3 times here when our daughter was living nearby. At this time, we stayed just a couple of days. The apartment is light and well decorated. It has a separated bedroom, bathroom with a reasonably shower and living room including a small open fully equipped kitchen. makes it convenient for having for instance breakfast by yourself, because of the appliances. In case someone prefers no having the trouble to prepare his/her own breakfast, there is an option of ordering it to be delivered in the morning. It comes in a basket with milk, bread, fruits, yogurt and so.

It is well cleaned and the service good. Although it could profit of having some renovation.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words reviewing your stay at 196 Bishopsgate. I am delighted to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your experience; from the comfort of the apartment, the location of the property and the service you encountered.

We look forward welcoming you back on your next visit to London.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We've stayed twice, so we tried 2 flats. The flats are big with 2 separate rooms, a nice bathroom, an equipped kitchen, 2 (or 3) TVs, it is very comfortable. It is across from Liverpool Street station (metro and train), what is very convenient. There is a good supermarket very close to the flat, a few restaurants, pubs, and fast food restaurants nearby. There is 24 hour service at the reception and everyday cleaning service in the flat. People were very helpful. The street is a little busy and a little noisy (1st floor), but it does not bother because the rooms are on the back of the flat, so it is silent. The beds are comfortable, the sheets are good quality. In the first flat we stayed at, there were 3 or 4 stairs in the corridor, and in the second one, there were 6 or 8 stairs, what was a little inconvenient.

Room Tip: Ask for flats with the rooms on the back and few stairs in the corridor
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Maria Amalia S
OpsMng, Director of Operations at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear guest, Thank you for sharing your experience on our page on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed staying at 196 Bishopsgate on both occasions. all your comment will be taken on board and I hope to be able to welcome you back at the residence in the near future. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole
Reviewed 22 February 2014

The hotel seems unable to control large rowdy groups that make their way into apartments for parties. After being kept awake by a loud party until 1 am on a Friday night, I'm about to experience the same again the following night. Security cameras don't exist and there's little monitoring of who comes and goes. Whilst clean and in a convenient location, if you want to actually sleep at night, best to stay elsewhere

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ali A, Guest Relations Manager at 196 Bishopsgate, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience during your last stay with us at 196 Bishopsgate, what you've shared on our page is not something that is normal at our property such as parties; un-controlling large crowds etc. knowing our major target market being business guest since we near to the financial district in London.

Our property is well secure based on security where no one is allow to access entry to the hotel main door besides using the room key cards or opened personally by our staff. We also have a 24 hour continuous surveillance cameras through-out key areas of the hotel.

I hope welcome you once again to 196 Bishopsgate Service apartments.

Regards