“Great Location, Beside Liverpool St Station!”
Review of 196 Bishopsgate

196 Bishopsgate
Ranked #482 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 October 2010

We needed a place near Liverpool St Station for the next leg of our UK journey by train, so this was ideal, only a block away. Modern, clean and fully equipped kitchenette, high ceilings and excellent bathroom facility made this terrific. Only negative was that in an adjoining building, on Sat night, someone was drilling or sanding and the noise interrupted what should have been another quiet evening and good sleep. We complained to night manager who tried to deal with it but it was hard to locate the source. We found out later that it is illegal to do such work at that time. Overall, however, a roomy modern space to crash in after visiting everything during our London weekend.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 October 2010

I would highly recommend staying at 196 Bishops Gate. This was our third time in London, and my wife an I stayed here for three nights, Friday, Saturday and Sunday September 17th, 18th and 19th 2010. The staff were helpful and friendly, especially Pablo, who we think worked the 3 pm -11 pm shift on the weekend we were there.
Pablo went out of his way to make sure our stay was comfortable, and he was very, very helpful and knowledgable when we had questions regarding travelling through the city.
The location of 196 Bishops Gate is great as (everybody mentions) you are right across the street from Liverpool Street Station (meaning: easy access to all of London). The Tesco supermarket is a less than a minute walk down the road, and it is open late, so no problem stocking the fridge. I felt very safe in the immediate neighborhood as the POLICE STATION is on the same side of the road, and less than 20 seconds walk from the front door!
The room itself was clean and comfortable, with a small safe for our personal belongings (tickets, passports ect.). It is wonderful when you are travelling from hotel to hotel (as we were in France prior to arriving in London) and then arrive at 196 Bishops Gate and you now have use of a Refridgerator/Microwave/Diswasher/Washer-Dryer/Sink Pots & Pans, ect. All the comforts of home! In short - A STAY HERE IS WAY BETTER THAN A HOTEL!
In summary: I highly recommend this hotel and I won't even think twice about where to stay the next time I'm in London.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ejmitchell2003
Reviewed 9 July 2010

It appears we stayed at 196 Bishopsgate at the same time as the last 2 posters. I would agree with most of what they said. We are a family of four, kids are 12 and 14 and stayed in 403, a two bedroom. It was huge. We had just come from Paris and so were thrilled to be able to spread out. One bedroom had a queen and the other a double. I had requested the room with a king, but was not guarenteed it, and was happy with what we had. Beds were comfortable. Double room had it's own TV, which kids liked. Queen room had no AC unit, but it had a fan and the rest of the apt's AC worked so well the room did stay cool. The place is quite noisey with the windows open, but OK with them closed and the AC on. I have horrible insomnia but slept well here due to the bed size, ac, and fan. The clothes washer was a bit difficult to figure out, but OK and certainly better than paying for cleaning or washing by hand. We used it alot, since this was the second half of our trip. The Tesco one block away was awesome, and plenty of other places around to get whatever you might need.
The immediate vicinity has nothing physically close that a tourist would want, but with Liverpool Station right across the street you can get anywhere quickly and cheaply. There was a planned suspension of Underground service over the weekend of 7/3+4 that required us to adjust our plans, as well as an unplanned servce interuption due to a fire on 7/2, but these things just meant re-routing and a slight increase in travel time. All in all that station was very convenient for us. We even took a day trip all the way to York on one of those days (that requires taking the Underground to Paddington). Getting to Paddington for the Heathrow Express was easy too.
I have only two major gripes about the place. First is the lift problems the previous poster mentioned. I think the lift was completely down for 3 full days. This place has like 12 or 15 ft ceilings, and of course the first floor is floor 0, not one, so by the third day of scaling those five extra-large flights of stairs (after running from sight to sight all day) we were really starting to get annoyed.
The second is the bizarre water heater. When showering, it was almost impossible to get the water to come out warm, insteaof burning hot or ice cold. We experimented extensively and had group discussions comparing each family members' success or failure in their ability to take a warm shower, but never did figure the thing out. It's not that there was no hot water, it was that the hot would not mix with the cold to provide decent shower water. The heater seemed to do some type of cycling thing. I am guessing there is some secret way to make it work, I don't know.
The place could use a real coffee pot, too. But we got by with instant, and there was even some of that provided everyday (except Sunday, no servce on Sunday.)
The staff was very helpfull.
We were also told at checkout that we made a 42 pound phone call that we did not make, but when I was very firm that we had not made the call they took it off the bill. This was actually the second place we stayed this trip that tried to stick us with calls we didn't make (and yes we are sure it wasn't the kids).
The rooms really do look like the pictures, just maybe a little more boring.
I would definately stay there again.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2010

I stayed in the 1 bedroom executive apartment for 1 night at the weekend with some friends. The location of the place is great but this depends also on what part of London you are trying to access. On arrival the check in was very quick and friendly. However the lift wasn't working so we had to go up 2 flights of stairs to the 2nd floor and although it doesn't seem like alot when its a hot day outside and you've got luggage its a long way up! We did get some help with a couple of our bags.
The apart was big, very impressed with the size of the rooms apart from the bathroom being very small. The lighting in the bathroom was very poor, I wouldn't like to be a man trying to shave in such bad light.
The apartment had everything we needed for our stay, one thing I would note was the size of the sofas and the comfort factor, not very big or comfortable. Decor was a little old fashioned and could do with updating. But clean which is the most important thing.
The bed was comfortable but because the apartment was at the front of the building we didn't get alot of sleep due to traffic noise outside, would have preferred to be at the back of the hotel, maybe this would have been quieter.
I will definitely stay there again, would probably ask for a quieter room next time.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank NCL19
Reviewed 5 July 2010

For an extended stay in London when you're doing business in E1 or the surrounding area, I highly recommend 196 Bishopsgate. I stayed in one of their studio apartments for six nights and found it spacious, clean, private, and mostly quiet (there are pubs down below that do cause a bit of noise but its easily drowned out by the air conditioning unit). The unit was appointed with everything I needed and the (Queen) bed was surprisingly comfortable. The kitchen was fully equipped including a washer/dryer, microwave, oven, cooktop, mini refrigerator, and washing machine. And, the room had electrical outlets everywhere. At just 139 pounds/night (plus 18 pounds for one week of internet access), it was beyond reasonably priced. Staff is unobtrusive, as you don't see anyone once you leave the reception area. Its definitely a no frills place in terms of amenities -- don't stay here if you're looking for a hotel gym, a business center, or room service, but there are many great inexpensive food and shopping options within a few blocks walk, including the Tesco grocery store just one block south (as mentioned in earlier posts) and a ton of restaurants/pubs including the area known as Spitalfields, which itself has at least a dozen restaurant options and countless shops. If you're visiting London for vacation and want to be centrally located, this part of the city probably isn't the best option, but it *is* directly across from Liverpool St. station (underground and overground trains) which makes it possible to get just about anywhere quite easily.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 May 2010

This is the second time I stayed here. Its a very central location just opposite Liverpool St Station, which is the heart of the financial district. This time I was upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment on level 1. It was huge compared to most hotels in this area in this price range. Having your own kitchen and fridge makes longer stays much more homely. And a Tesco supermarket is less than a minute away so its easy to get a few supplies if you so desire. Alternatively there are plenty of places to buy a meal, ranging from fast food to high quality restaurants. I learnt from my previous stay not to expect too much from the front desk, and to be aware that friday nights can get a bit noisy. I'll definitely be coming back here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2010

Nice tidy apartments with all you need! As a regular always upgaded onto 2 room suite.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business