“Absolutely disgusting - feces wiped on blankets, vile 'breakfast', gave me key to someone else's room”

Oxford Hotel London
Ranked #989 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here for one night on May 29th. We expected a small room given the location and price, but could not have anticipated the disgusting conditions we found.

There was no duvet on the bed, so we unfolded one of the blankets on a shelf and found feces stains all over it. We immediately brought it down to the front desk who did not seem shocked, did not apologise, and told us there were no spare blankets and no duvets so we'd just have to make do. We checked the other blankets and there were small stains on them as well, it was clear they had not been washed.

The breakfast room is tiny compared to the number of people trying to use it. Breakfast consists of hard boiled eggs, toast, cheese and cheap cornflakes. The milk for the cereal was warm. The coffee was vile.

When I first checked in, I was given a key to a room - when I opened the room I was shocked to find someone already in it. He was just as shocked as me! I went back to the front desk who explained that guest had decided to stay an extra night and they'd forgotten to move my reservation to a new room. I should have taken this warning and left right then!

Overall, the most disgusting experience I have ever had in a hotel anywhere - and most of my travel has been in the developing world. I have had much better experiences staying in youth hostels, and would strongly discourage anyone from staying here, ever. It's not worth it.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Leah C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,365)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here on 27th/28th May. This is the worst British hotel I have ever stayed in. Although the room was relatively clean, it was very dated and in desperate need of some upgrading. The walls were filthy and were only painted around the furniture, the bathroom door hinges were falling off, the bed was more like two camp-beds pushed together and the wall fan cable didn't actually reach a socket. Wouldn't have plugged it in anyway as the electrics were seriously dangerous. Bare cables exposed and various sockets in the room kept going out when I was using a hairdryer. Breakfast looked pretty shabby, although I didn't get to try it as there was never any room in the tiny basement restaurant. Great location for underground but not worth putting up with this very poor service!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was filthy, the staff were rude and I definately y would not recommend it unless you were desperate. Although a good location near EArls Court, the soap tray was rusty, no shower tray so the water ran into the bedroom. Curtains and windows dirty and the hairdryer blew up in my hand when I used it. When I reported it, it took the receptionist 30 minutes to bring me another hairdryer. Booked 2 single rooms and my friend's bed was very lumpy and uncomfortable although my bed was fine. Breakfast staff were very rude and same staff were cleaning the rooms, linen left in corners of corridors on the floor. Avoid this hotel unless you are desperate.

Room Tip: Very noisy hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed in a ground floor room at the Oxford Hotel on March 24 - 25th during our trip to the UK. The room was actually the largest we had during out trip to the UK and it was clean which is the most important thing. Yes the room looked tired and the decor was dated, but you don't travel to London to hang out in your hotel room! The location was wonderful, we were easy walking distance to Hyde Park, to the Underground and from there to anywhere you might want to go in London. The television was in good working order with a variety of channels, something my husband enjoyed after a long day of sightseeing. The room included a mini fridge, a microwave and a kettle, we enjoyed the convenience of being able to eat take away in our room in the evening to cut a little down on our expenses and as a quiet way to unwind and rest our feet. It felt like a luxury having our own shower and toilet, yes it was small but the water was hot and it got us clean. North American travelers will need to adjust their expectations of hotel rooms when staying in London if they hope to stay on budget and this place did admirably for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CalgarysTooCold
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Clean. Charge extra for Wi-fi. Charge for storing the bag after check-out (never heard of that before!!!). TV broke. Breakfast: 2 types of bread. Cheese-tranches, butter and jam. No place for toileteries in the bathroom. - But the hotel is very well situated to go to a fair at the Earl's Court!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank tripg
Reviewed 11 April 2014

And that is saying something. I have stayed in about 25-30 hotels in London over the last couple of years and I think this was probably the worst experience so far. I will also say that I am well aware that London is a difficult market for decent hotels at a decent price and so my expectations weren't exactly sky high, but this was a sever disappointment as so many things were well out of order.
Room had no window. TV hung loosely off wallbracket and faced downward in a 45 degree angle. No remote control. Telephone didnt work. Shower was cold. Sink was clogged with hair. Also found an old dirty sock in the nightstand which the cleaning crew must have missed. Several hairs on bedsheet. Pretty disgusting all around.
And to top it all off I left my laptop charger in the room. When I called a couple of hours later to ask if I could retrieve it I was told that there was defintiely no charger anywhere and that I must be mistaken.
Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Stevie B
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Now this hotel. I do not like to bad mouth places, because this place was cheap. And that was the point of us getting it. But apart from having to argue with the receptionist about the fact that I prepaid, the fact that the room was next to reception and I mean like a thin wall away. The room being small, the bed being super crap, most of the furniture being broken including a mirror. I think because we were going to a concert and weren't back too late that it wasn't a problem for us. We did not really spend time at the hotel, thankfully cause we wouldn't have like too. Apart from all that. It is what you pay for I guess. It was cheap, we got cheap with a free breakfast. Which had a surprising amount of variety. So If you are going here, do not expect a lot, but if your looking for a place to crash out and leave the next morning, this is your place since they have a safe room for luggage.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends