“Not worth it! Awful bed!”

Oxford Hotel London
Ranked #963 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brisbane, Australia
“Not worth it! Awful bed!”
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights during Wimbledon. The main reason was the location.
Location: Close to the Earls Court underground station, shops, cafés.
Price: £120/ night for double bed, not worth it.
Room: Very SMALL. The 2 of us had to walk sideways & struggling to find space for our 2 luggage. The "double" bed was more like a King single, there was a dip in the middle of the bed, bed linens had some old stains. The lights were a bit tricky to turn on. Shower & toilet very basic but clean.
Overall cleanliness is fair.
Overall I don't think it's worth the £120/ night for this room. I would definitely not recommend it.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

There was two of us. We arrived to a clean, cheap room. Working TV etc. No complaints, we only stayed one day which worked out £15 each!!! in London and not a hostel!

No complaints. Would recommend it if travelling on a budget.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 51M0N2014
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I booked at this hotel before reading reviews on here and after reading them was absolutely terrified at going... Firstly let me say getting a triple room in London for £90 isn't easy and we are a young family so are on a budget we were only staying 1 night so took spate sheets and pillow cases as most reviews said it was dirty when we arrived we were greeted by very friendly staff (not rude or ignorant at all!!!) minimum fuss given our key card and remote control for TV and were sent on our way to the "dreaded annex" now I was panicking because this apparently was the worst of the hotel.. We arrived at room lg16 with was lower ground, again a moment of panic opened the door to a fresh clean room... Small but comfortable with a döuble bed and single converted bed for our son fully working TV and fan on the wall.. Patio doors and a window that could open fully, plenty of tea coffee sugar and crockery ( much more than what you get in expensive hotels) yes the bathroom was small but we could sit on the toilet comfortably... Have a shower comfortably and use the sink... There were a couple of scratches on the wall which made no impact on our stay whatsoever.. We wasted packing space taking fresh linen as ours at the room were pristine and we definitely checked throughly not a hair stain or mark in sight Ok I agree if you are planning on staying for a week you might want a little more room but how much time do you need to spend in the hotel personally I use it to sleep, wash and clean my teeth!!! My husband wanted to go out while I stayed in room so we rang reception to get another card made so I wasn't left without electricity which they did with pleasure and a smile to greet my husband... Breakfast was... Breakfast! Me and my son went down at 7:30am we were met with boiled eggs... Plenty of slices of fresh bread cheese slices... 4 types of cereal hot milk cold milk tea coffee orange juice.. Jams (all flavours) butter marmalade and savoury rolls... Breakfast was included in the price so I will call it a free breakfast to which I cannot complain I made us cheese on toast cereal and teas.. My husband joined us at 8:15 yes the 3 rooms were filling up but the staff were so fast in clearing away the dirty crockery that no one was without seats... They we not rude or miserable just busy and keeping out of the holiday's way... All in all we were nicely surprised by our stay and would use this hotel again especially for the bargain price of £90 for a family.. We were not even a minutes walk from earls Court tube station the area was nice and had a secure safe feeling to it... So sometimes I think people expect to get the best possible experience with the least possible outlay... actually not sure what people expect but we were Ok and will use again... I purposely wrote this review as I think when people have had an Ok time they forget to review yet a bad experience or just general moaners make it their mission to sabotage things for others

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank Kelly C
Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2014

This hotel is probably typical of hotels in this price range. We barely managed to squeeze 2 people into the room with our luggage. The breakfast was very skimpy and no coffee in the lobby area for early risers. The toilet didn't flush the first night and the hair dryer never worked. However the staff was very friendly and helpful. And the room was very clean! Wi-fi was 2hrs for 4 GBP. This hotel would work for anyone not spending much time in the room except to sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank IlliniAnnie
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Oh my, what a let down. I had looked on the web but what I got in reality was nothing like their advertisements. We wee 3 adults in a supposed Triple Room. How they managed to get 3 single beds into this room I don't know but they did. We couldn't move around, the room was stifling hot, they had attached a portable fan to the wall and this didn't even help. As for Breakfast......
To the good points, it was cheap for London as far as I know and it was close to the tube which made getting around easy.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Norway
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Yes, I had read what other people had written - but not before I booked the hotel... Positives first: we are a family of four and there are not too many hotels offering familyrooms and this one was quite good size. We actually had pretty good wi-fi the hole time, which was important to our 17-year old at least... We have stayed at a few english hotels before and do not expect too high standard at at low cost, but this was worse than expected. Our bed was terrible (I could feel every spring in the madras), the breakfast was not any good - dry rolls, something that reminded of crosaints and some cereal, instant coffee and tea, butter and jam - thats about it. All of this is nothing, compared to the noise from the street below! There is a pub at the end of the street and people shouting and fighting kept me awake more than one night and despite that the road seemed narrow and quiet at daytime, the noise from cars were annoying at night! We are not coming back here, but for young people looking for an inexpensive hotel and do not have plans to spend too much time in the hotel, it´s probably OK.

Room Tip: A room away from the street
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Norwea
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I had read the reviews of this hotel and was expecting the worst. We had to find the cheapest hotel we could find in the area as we were students visiting for an event being held at earls court.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk to the station and restaurants and a 10 minute walk to Earls court entrance. We could check in until 2 so we dropped out luggage at the hotel and used the 'storage facilities' which turned out to be the breakfast room which wasn't locked and anyone, staff or guests could get too it.
You also have to pay on arrival which isn't clear when booking so we had to wait over an hour for money to be transferred into my account so we could actually go to our room.
The staff are rude and don't seem to care about their guest's well-being and at one time, one member of staff opened our door and almost walked straight in without knocking before he realised we were in there. it wasn't the maid as our room had already been visited that day.
As for the size of our room, we were very lucky. It seems that most rooms are very small as we heard many complaints whilst we were there and I had read many bad reviews online. Our room was G6 on the ground floor and wasn't huge but big enough for two people and also had a small kitchen area. The bathroom was on the second floor of our room which made it even bigger but obviously wouldn't be suitable for a disabled guest. Friends staying at the hotel had a room not much bigger than an average bathroom only just about fitting two beds.
The 'double beds' were just two single beds pushed together and are shorter than normal. Also there are no duvets, just sheets. Ours were clean although we did hear a member of staff say 'we don't advertise clean beds on our website' when overhearing yet another complaint at reception.
breakfast was either cornflakes, really bad toast or boiled eggs which I didn't try, The two breakfast rooms are small although we didn't had a problem getting a table both mornings we were there.
overall, You get what you pay for and this hotel is okay for a short stay depending on which room you get given, just don't expect anything fancy and don't trust the photos on their website either.

Room Tip: we had room G6 which was clean enough and room for 2 people. The tube station is just outside the wi...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple