“Modern, very comfortable and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dockside Hotel

Dockside Hotel
Ranked #86 of 575 London B&B and Inns
Glasgow
“Modern, very comfortable and good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

Having obviously been refurbished quite recently, this hotel is a great find. There's not many tourist attractions nearby, but it's less than a 5 minute walk to Shadwell underground station to connect you to the rest of London. All I needed was a good value bed for the night, and this place more than exceeded my expectations. My single room was small, but that didn;t matter - the bed was incredibly comfortable and the room had all the facilities you would need...satellite flatscreen TV, free (& fast) wifi, free breakfast buffet, desk, spotless and warm bathroom, good check-in/out times. Don't expect nice views from the windows, but once you're inside you'll feel at home.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Andy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Korean first
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed at The Dockside Hotel for one night on December 1st 2012. The reason I chose this hotel was because I wanted to be close to the 02 where I was seeing a concert, and being in Shadwell I saw it was well connected. I must say I had an very good experience, the member of staff on reception was extremely warm and I felt comfortable right away. I was shown to my room (no.17), which although wasn't huge was perfectly fine for me.

The room was newly fitted, which included and en suite with shower. All very clean, with towels provided. The bed was *extremely* comfortable as were the pillows- no complaints there!!

The only thing I would say about the room was that there was only one teabag with the drinks facilities and hardly any loo roll in the en suite. I think the cleaner may have just forgotten to replenish the stock. This isn't a deal breaker but just a little annoying when you just want to settle in.

Location wise, it's very well connected to the DLR and Tube. I didn't get to experience the full benefit of this as there were scheduled works on the DLR during my stay, so my easy connection wasn't so easy at all! This might be something to check when booking, again not a deal breaker, just a bit of a faff if works are happening (and this can happen at any line, but its just worth noting).

I would say though, as a solo female traveller, there is a 5-10 min walk from the train station to the hotel. At night in December, I felt the need to walk very fast due to the being a little industrial! I was safe and the hotel was well light, but I wouldn't do it again on my own. That said, if you get a taxi etc you won't face this problem.

Breakfast was great.

Overall, I would highly recommend this place to stay, go for it!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Keturah83
northants
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2012

Stayed for a weekend as a base to eat out and see a show and it ticked all the box's. Very pleasent and helpful staff, rooms clean and a good breakfast although the waitress needed a bit more help at the peak breafsat sitting time.

Very good deal on the room and mnaged to park for free right outside so all in all, good experience and I'd go back again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2012

Greeted by very pleasant staff.Rooms very clean,bedding lovely and fresh all facilities catered for ie kettle coffee,tea bags,milk,mini fridge, desk& chair , television.Nothing too much trouble for any of the staff members.Would recommend.

Room Tip: Because my friend and I have back problems when my daughter booked she asked if possible if we could...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Doncaster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012

This hotel is more a B&B than what I would call a 'hotel', it had been arranged by my friends daughter for an early Christmas present, to stay here and see Andrea Bocelli in the evening.
We had rooms facing each other on the ground floor, and the rooms themselves were spotlessly clean, with small ensuite shower and toilet, the bed was two singles pushed together to make a double, the bedding was clean and fresh, the pillows soft and comfortable.
The young man who showed us our rooms was very nice and nothing was too much trouble. There was coffee and tea, but no milk so I asked for milk and within seconds there was mild delivered to both rooms, which you certainly wouldn't get at a large hotel, so the 'personal' service was first class.
The only complaint is with this hotel being in the East End, there was nowhere 'good' to eat, no nice restaurants round the hotel, plenty of take aways, but as this was my friends Christmas gift it would have been nice if there had been at least one nice restaurant nearbye.
But this is no fault of the hotel.
I do not know if it was value for money as I don't know how much the room cost, but breakfast was brought to our rooms on a tray, sausage, egg, toast, fruit, yogurt, milk and fresh orange juice, which came as part of the price of the room.
Everything was very nice and well presented.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 14 if you are 'sensitive'. It is haunted by a child crying. I was woken...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DoncasterYorkie
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

Stayed in the hotel for the nights of the first and second of Nov 2012 - very clean and tidy hotel I had room 24 which had just been refurbished to a very high standard TV, kettle coffee and tea, shower, hairdryer, WiFi shaving points. Very welcoming staff and breakfast was self serve with a wide range of choice. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Nigel D
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

We booked this hotel, as we had tickets for a tv show in Bow, so it would be easy to jump on a tube there and back. The area is quite run down, but we were surprised at how nice our hotel room was. Check in was easy, fast, and the reception guy showed us to our room which was sweet. The room was very modern, the shower room was gorgeous, and the beds were very clean and comfy. Flat screen TV, little fridge, slim wardrobe. Great. You have to hand in your key when you go out for the day, but they are there to greet you on your return. Breakfast was included - toast / croissants / fruit / yogurts / hams / cheese etc and also sausages, beans and scrambled eggs. The hot foods are served on a tray which sits above hot water, so ours was cold. An electric warmer would be better. The lady in the kitchen was very sweet and friendly, and the breakfast room itself was great. My only grumble is that we booked a double room, but were given a twin room. Being a married (female) couple I guess they made an assumption we'd booked a double by mistake. Really, they should have confirmed at check in the room type. Being English we said nothing! :D
Anyway....would stay there again, and probably will very soon! Thanks guys

Room Tip: There are loads of shops near the tube if you need drinks / food etc
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple