“Staff in canteen as i would call it really rude and the six items rule absoutely disgusting.”
Review of LSE Bankside House

LSE Bankside House
Ranked #523 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed this weekend as a paying hotel guest, but quickly found out it is a hotel for anyone to stay permantely, the staff in the canteen were rude and when i went to get some toast they put some shutters down on me.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone was in need of a good decoration, you were treated like you were staying in a prison, no tv in rooms which wasn't good as soon as you went down to the tv room it was all men watching football so no chance of watching anything you wanted to, not a pleasant experience couldn't wait to leave and the manager should be ashamed of him self with the 6 item rule, i was paying for breakfast not 6 items and that is everything not just the cooked breakfast, and the coffee wasn't drinkable, would never recommend this hotel to anybody a awful place to stay the manager should be ashamed of himself.

Room Tip: not in the Bankside hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear GROOM60,

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at Bankside House. I'm extremely surprised to hear your comments, particularly the accusation that a member of our restaurant team closed the shutters on you while trying to get your toast. I have investigated this accusation thoroughly and have been unable to find any evidence of this incident occurring, but please contact me at h.j.hayes@lse.ac.uk to provide further details.

I apologise that you did not find the six permitted items at breakfast sufficient. As you can see from the comments here, most of our guests find this to be an ample amount. However, we will review this policy over the coming year to see if it needs to be changed.

Please do get in touch and we hope that despite your negative experience this time you will consider staying again.

Bankside House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2013

What do people expect? This is basic student accommodation and value for money it's excellent. Our room was simple and clean; linen, toiletries and tea making facilities are provided. Beds were comfortable, the bathroom was small but adequate. Breakfast was ample with reasonable choice and we found the staff polite and helpful; being able to leave our luggage before and after check-in and out was appreciated.
We stayed when it was very hot but didn't find the rooms unpleasant and even with the windows open weren't noisy and the curtains made the rooms dark. Noise from other residents, including school parties and small children wasn't noticed.
The location is ideal, especially if you have travel cards as the RV1 connects to Waterloo, London Bridge and Covent Garden and the river buses leave from Bankside Pier a couple of minutes walk away. Tate Modern and the South Bank are on your doorstep and there are plenty of places to eat within a short distance. Did we miss having a TV? No

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerF
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear TravellerF,

I was extremely pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Bankside House. I was particularly happy to hear that you found us to be excellent value for money and our location ideal. It's also pleasing to hear that you found both our housekeeping and breakfast to exceed your expectations. What I found most pleasing were your kind comments about our staff!

I will pass your kind comments on to our housekeeping team and our restaurant team, and I will personally relay your positive review to our staff.

We hope to see you again at Bankside House and hope you'll find your next stay just as enjoyable!

Paris, France
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The hotel is perfectly located. The nearest station is London Bridge @10 minutes on foot. That means you can go from St Pancras to the hotel very fast using only the Northern Line. There is also a lot of convenience stores for those who don't want to go back too late in the evening (the neighborhood is safe-ish, shady characters in the street at 23.00 pm).

The rooms are nice. Linen is clean. Carpet ruins the feeling though. Linoleum or stone would make it friendlier. Hopefully we had slippers, but that's just me.

The bathroom is small but neat. Only big problem is with the shower, because it is very easy with your elbow to shut or turn the water from warm to boiling hot or icy cold. I would suggest changes to a simple round knob.

Breakfast is nice and included in the price.

Warning in august, it can be warm in London. And the hotel itself seems to generate its own heat. So most rooms had the windows opened at all time.

All in all, air conditioning would be a big improvement for summer. So if you hate warm, better go there in september/october.

Room Tip: Choose the double bedroom suites. We had a simple three bedrooms and there is no kitchen. The double...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear e W,

We were pleased to hear that you found the location of Bankside House perfect during your recent stay with us. Bankside House is located in a safe area of central London with a large tourist population.

We're delighted to hear that you found our rooms nice overall. We will certainly take your comments regarding the fittings of the room into consideration in our future refurbishments.

I will pass your kind comments about our breakfast on to our restaurant team.

We hope to see you again soon at Bankside House! We hope that if you do return we will be able to show you we have made improvements in the areas you mentioned.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

Great value for money for a central London hotel, however these are student dorms so don't expect luxury! The rooms are clean but the carpet and chair in mine were stained. The canteen breakfast was OK, plenty of food, full English, cereal, yoghurt, etc. Reception staff were less than courteous but I suppose they're used to dealing with unruly students and not paying guests... Great for a cheap one night stopover.

• Stayed August 2013
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear Catpunx,

We're delighted to hear that you found Bankside House to be great value for money in central London. However, i'm disappointed to hear the fittings in your room weren't up to standard - it would be great if you could contact me directly so I can investigate this issues and ensure anything that isn't up to standard can be replaced. I'm also disappointed to hear that you found our reception staff less than courteous, as this is an area in which we strive for excellence. I will pass these comments on and we will work to make sure no other guest leaves with this impression.

Please contact me at h.j.hayes@lse.ac.uk - we'd love for you to return to Bankside House and ensure that you have a more positive experience overall than this time.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Staying in this place is very pleasant, not least because the price is fantastic for central London and I highly recommend this place for all types of travellers. It is basic but clean no frills budget accom on the South Bank...I will def use this place again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Jeff A,

We were delighted to hear that you found Bankside House to be great value budget accommodation and that you were pleased by our location. It's always nice to hear positive comments regarding the areas we aim to excel in.

We hope to see you at Bankside House again soon!

Henry Hayes,
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Good:
Very convenient & excellent location for a budget hotel. The room is clean & they even provide free toiletries. Nearest attractions are like the Tate Modern Museum, Borough Market at the London Bridge by few minutes walk. And you can also walk to the famous city spots like Buckingham Palace & Trafalgar Square. However, if you chose not to walk there are plenty of buses & the nearest underground station is Southwark (Waterloo East). The hotel is a bit hidden behind the corner of Sumner Street, but you'll see the big street signboard on your left if you're coming from the underground station, then turn right (from the Sumner Street signboard) & you're there. Quite a variety of breakfast choice from cold to hot.

Bad: Unfriendly, cold staffs at the restaurant for breakfast in the morning, although not all of them & also some staffs for my first few days stay who had terrible public relations. Anyway the girl who had served us the first night we arrived on the 13th August around 10 pm called Meri was very kind, warm & welcoming. While the other lady was totally the opposite.

Room Tip: Higher floor room will be good & ask for the one with the view. Bring your own shower cap &...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Asianeva84
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Dear Asianeva84,

We were delighted to hear that you had a positive experience during your stay at Bankside House. We're very pleased that you found our location close to attractions such as Tate Modern and Borough Market convenient for experiencing London. We're also glad that you enjoyed our breakfast. It's always very pleasant to hear that a guest has found Bankside House to be great value and has had an overall enjoyable stay.

I was sorry to hear about your experiences in the restaurant - I will investigate your comments regarding the restaurant staff further to ensure that guests are being treated respectfully at all times. I will pass your kind comments about the member of staff you found very kind and welcoming to her.

We hope to see you again at Bankside House soon!

Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed 18 August 2013 via mobile

I was not looking for much when I booked this room, i needed a cheap place for one night that was clean and would allow me to sleep. Unfortunately, this hostel failed to provide either sleep or cleanliness. I was upgraded to a single with privat bathroom instead of a single with shared bathroom, which was nice but the room smelled like a guys gym locker with dirty clothes in it. I opened the window to allow it to air out which got rid of some, but not all of the smell. The worst part was the bathroom which smelled like mold and again sweaty clothes, this smell never went away, which was in part to the large amount of mold on the baseboards and ceiling (see pictures included). My other major issue with the room was that it was directly over the parking lot/lobby entrance and high school age kids on a tour used the parking lot all night to talk and party even with ear plugs in I was woken up several times. Breakfast was very good with lots of options, staff was friendly and willing to store luggage. If it was cleaner I would stay again because of the price and location, but without better housekeeping staff I can not recommend this hostel.

Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Dear Racheal_F12,

Please accept our most sincere apologies for the experience you had while staying with us at Bankside House. I agree that the mould pictured in your review is absolutely unacceptable - this is not at all a reflection of the standards we aim to provide at Bankside House and is a wholly exceptional case.

We have placed the room in which you stayed out of order and are having the mastic (rubber sealant) on which the mould has grown replaced immediately. Starting tomorrow, we will begin conducting a review of every room of this type in the entire building to ensure that this problem does not reoccur.

Our security team enforce a curfew of 11.00pm for the forecourt of the building to ensure that sleeping guests are not subjected to excess noise. We apologise if you did not find this to be the case during your stay - we will liase with security to ensure this is being thoroughly enforced.

I will be contacting you directly today to attempt to work out a resolution to the issues you encountered. We do hope that you will stay with us again so that we can prove to you the issues you encountered were merely an exception to our normal high standards of service.

Henry Hayes,