“Great Value for London”

Ranked #493 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Penwortham
“Great Value for London”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Recently returned from Bankside & cannot fault this place taking into account the amount paid in central London (I obtained discount via Groupon)

Accommodation was clean & basic,breakfast was excellent,superior to most hotels I have stayed in.They even have a bar here which is open 7 - 12 & was also reasonably priced.

London is an expensive city to stay in & to stay here you must embrace `communal` living ! We literally only ate breakfast & went to sleep in our rooms,what else would you want to do when you have so much on your doorstep.If you want tv in your room & other mod cons then as earlier posting said go to Premier Lodge/Travelodge pay more but your breakfast wont beat Bankside !

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear letshaveaweekaway,

We're delighted to hear that you were a return visitor to Bankside House this summer and found us to be great value for London. It's particularly pleasing to hear that you found our breakfast to be excellent and the bar reasonably priced.

We'd love to see you at Bankside House again and do hope you return next summer!

Bankside House

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

For the most part I quite enjoyed my stay at LSE Bankside House. The location is great, the room was spacious and a very filling breakfast was included.

There were sometimes not enough staff working at the front desk for the number of people that come through. Service at the front desk is often extremely slow and not great. However, the staff serving breakfast were lovely and efficient.

Overall, decent if you're on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear travelbugbitten03,

I'm delighted to hear that you found Bankside House to be pleasant and fantastic value. These are the areas we aim to excel in and it's fantastic to hear that we're meeting our goals in reviews such as yours.

Please accept our apologies for the slow service you experienced during your stay - I would state that this is certainly not always the case, but we will continue to monitor our service times to ensure that guests are not left waiting too long.

We'd love to see you at Bankside House again soon!

Porto Alegre, RS
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Very convenient location, good rooms, filling breakfast, typical honest student accomodation. Clean thoroughly, very good value for money (particularly in London!). Staff were helpfull and corridors to restaurant are full of usefull advice.

The bed, however, was far from good! Had back acke every morning. (this could be a problem, if you need a good mattress to sleep) The neighbourhood is noisy. Even though, we followed the advice and asked (and were given) a room in a high floor, noise could be heard at night. But we slept, anyway (would not say this is a major problem).

Room Tip: Ask for a silent room (if there is any, I do not know!) Ask for a good mattress (I also do not know...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear HPR8473,

I was very pleased to hear that you found Bankside House to be good value for money during your stay in London. I'm particularly pleased to hear that you found our staff to be helpful! It's great to hear such positive comments about Bankside House.

I was disappointed to read that our bed was not up to standard during your stay. I'd love to investigate this further and have the mattress in your room replaced. Please contact me directly on h.j.hayes@lse.ac.uk so I can look into this further.

We hope to see you at Bankside House again soon!

New Delhi, India
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is a student hostel run by the London School of Economics on the south bank of the Thames River. LSE lets out the rooms during vacations as hotels and any visitor can stay there. The room tariff is generally moderate by central London standards. I stayed here in a two-room suite with a small bathroom and paid GBP 81 per night, breakfast included. The breakfast is great, has vegetarian options. The location is great. The nearest tube station is about 15 minutes' walk. The attractions are the Tate Modern Gallery just opposite the hostel, and Shakespeare's Globe Theatre about 5 minutes' walk. Crossing the river (less than 5 minutes' walk) over the Millenium Bridge one can reach the St. Paul Cathedral and the financial district. Lots of eateries surround the hostel. In the evening all eateries across the river are full of people - it seems people do not cook at home; after work people gather here, have dinner and go home. Coming back to the rooms - these may be ok for students but hotel comfort seekers should not stay here. The furniture is ok but the bathroom of my room was terrible. The toilet flush just would not work and complaining does not elicit a response, may be because they do not have plumbers. The rooms and bathrooms are very basic. During my three-day stay they never changed the bedsheets or the towels and we were told to buy our own toilet tissue rolls. The bath area is very small - a 2x2 ft cubicle. Lighting is poor (yellow light, which I have always hated). They provide tea bags, milk, instant coffee and sugar sachets and a water boiler in the room. Drinking water is to be purchased. The nearest super market is Tesco, about 5 minutes' walk. Reception seems to be run by the students - all well mannered. There is no television and the worst part was no internet connectivity.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Henry H, Manager at LSE Bankside House, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Dear bdebnath,

I'm pleased to hear that you found many things about your stay at Bankside House positive, but disappointed to hear that you found many aspects of your stay negative.

I was glad to hear that you found our breakfast great and Bankside House conveniently located for visiting London.

It would be great if you could contact me directly at h.j.hayes@lse.ac.uk - I'd love to investigate the bathroom of your room and have any necessary maintenance improvements made. I was particularly dismayed to hear you state that you were told you would have to pay for more toilet roll when you ran out - this is certainly not a policy of Bankside House and I am unsure as to who would have believed this to be the case, as we provide all toiletries to guests free of charge. If you can provide me with more details of this I will carry out an investigation. In the meantime, I have contacted all staff informing them of your comment and giving them a reminder of our policy regarding toiletries.

We hope you will consider staying with us again.

Lisburn
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Four of us stayed here early August 2013. It was a fantastic location for visiting London. The staff were friendly and helpful. The breakfast was superb, be prepared to queue, but it goes very quickly and is worth the short wait. Rooms are basic student digs (we know, we booked that) Clean room, clean everything and bathroom gels and shmpoos etc. Thanks

Room Tip: We had ensuite and enjoyed that privacy. Floor 7, there is a general London noise in the background...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear Jackie W,

We're very happy to hear that you found Bankside House to be centrally located, great value and a friendly environment! I'm particularly pleased to hear that you found our staff friendly and helpful as this is an area we strive to excel in. I apologise that there was a large queue when you were getting breakfast! Unfortunately this is sometimes unavoidable when large numbers of guests come to breakfast at similar times.

I will pass your kind comments on to our reception and restaurant teams. We hope to see you again soon at Bankside House!

Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 4 September 2013

To say I enjoyed my stayed is an understatement. I was just trilled by your facilities, service and food. I spent just five nights while on a course/vacation and within that period I verbally advertised your facility to all my cooleagues from Africa out of which some immediately switched residence. Very strategic location,great customer and human relations and wonderful food. I will not hesitate to come over again and again. It was really nice staying with you guys.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ikewuah
Dear Ikewuah,

We're incredibly happy to hear how pleased you were with Bankside House! I'm delighted to hear you were thrilled with our facilities, service and food. It's particularly nice to hear that you found our service to be wonderful as this is an area in which we're always looking to improve and give guests the best experience possible. We're also extremely happy that you recommended us to your colleagues!

We hope to see you at Bankside House again soon!

Leicester
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here towards the end of August. The rooms are large and airy, loads of power points, (many hotels could take a tip there), and a decent-sized en-suite shower room. The bedroom furniture is of good quality, manufactured by Ellis of Huddersfield - the best. The single beds did leave something to be desired from a comfort point of view -too much enthusiastic use? We were on the 7th floor and had a fine view of the Shard. The location cannot be bettered, right beside the Tate Modern and the Globe and the Millennium Bridge gave convenient access to central London on foot. In addition the local buses going both east and west gave swift access to all parts.
During our stay, "the joint was jumping" with several coach-loads of happy young French visitors attending the Notting Hill Carnival, despite that we suffered no noise problems and the restaurant coped well at petit dejeuner, sorry, breakfast.
We hope to stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GingerTone
Dear GingerTone,

I was delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay at Bankside House. It's fantastic to hear you found the rooms spacious and airy, the fittings to your needs and the shower to be decently sized. I apologise that you felt our beds left something to be desired comfort wise - we're currently undertaking a full review of all of our mattresses so hopefully you'll find this to have improved if you stay with us again.

We're also pleased to hear you enjoyed our view of the Shard from our higher floors and that you found our location great. I will pass on your kind comments to all of our team at Bankside House.

We hope to see you again soon!