“Value for money”

Mermaid Suite Hotel
Ranked #811 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
There are newer reviews for Mermaid Suite Hotel

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Yes, many of the criticisms do apply but this is more than outweighed by the cost and convenience of this hotel. The room I had was 'compact' but larger than some rooms I have had in London. The bedroom had space all round the double bed and the ensuite was of an adequate size. If you want a night or two in the West End this fits the bill. Bear in mind the stairs when packing.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JaySee_53
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Went here on a hen do. After reading previous reviews was worried. Seven of us in one room. Pleasantly surprised. The hotel is spread over several properties all adjoined. Comfy beds, clean, warm and basic. Separate toilet and bathroom. Towels provided. This isn't the ritz but if you want a very central base (30 steps to oxford street) it is good. Families were staying in another part of the property and it was very busy at breakfast indicating it was busy generally. Lots of stairs so not accessible at all for those who struggle. Bit noisy at night but apart from that very good value. Breakfast was good in the Italian restaurant; four pieces of toast, croissant, jams etc, juices, cereals, hot drinks. Friendly staff. So long as you accept it is nothing more than basic accommodation this is great.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Hotel was locked when i arrived and had to wait some time for someone to open the door. It took 20 mins to find my booking, the room was more like a 1 star boarding house. Ancient lumpy mattress, duvet and pillows. I slept with my clothes on. No elevator, no fire escape, no lobby, very steep unsafe very narrow staircase which is shocking to find in a hotel. Not a place I would or could ever recommend. Was asked to pay full amount in advance and had no help with logging my suitcase up endless flights of stairs to the fourth floor. Not certain how they obtained their license. Save your money and don't waste your time staying in this hotel. The location does not justify the rest. There are much better places for a fraction more money.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank petra a
Reviewed 3 February 2014

but I was pleasantly surprised. Yes there are a lot of stairs to climb but the room was spotlessly clean and the bed comfortable (I stayed on a busy Saturday night and heard very little noise). There was just metal stairs and another brick building to look at out of the window but at the price I paid and the location of the hotel I really can't complain. The continental breakfast was adequate,nice coffee & fresh croissants. The staff were helpful even letting check in early so we didn't have to carry our bags around with us. If you want great location at a bargain price I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed 25 January 2014

I booked this at short notice, based on the location and at around a 125 one of the cheaper locations. With no great expectations initial impressions were poor. After walking up some narrow steep stairs with heavy bags we were asked for full payment of the bill in advance. After which we were directed to another building up another 6 flights of narrow stairs (carrying our suitcases. The rooms are actually ok recently decorated in neutral magnolia . A flat screen tv but no handset. The main problem with the room became apparent when we came back after dinner - vertical blinds mean the room isn't particularly dark. But the noise throughout the night was appalling. We were actually on the top floor but without double glazing we were woken up about 5 times - refuse collection, road sweeping , more refuse collection ........
We didn't get breakfast as they don't start serving till 8 am.
For the old the infirm or anyone who wants a good nights sleep stay else where

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kevincharles3995
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed here for convenience rather than travel home after a late night. It was cheap enough, for London. The room was clean and it is in a good location. Having trekked up the stairs to reception, I had to go back down any up another 87 stairs to get to my room through a different door off the street. All a bit strange. The shower cubicle was tiny, I am 6ft and couldn't get in it. Breakfast wasn't great. TV didn't work, couldn't open the windows. There are better hotels for less money. I won't be going back.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo