“Back again”

Ranked #976 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Busto A. Italy
“Back again”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've just spent a short trip with my students at the Windsor House Hotel. Before leaving, many parents paid their compliments for the cheap price asked and everyone knew how basic the accommodation would be, and none complained. Being a regular, I've noticed improvements since my last visit, a bigger breakfast, new carpet, people always nice and ready to help, clean everywhere and being able to use the kitchen, especially when you have food allergies, in my opinion is a must. WIndsor House Hotel is B&B in a fantastic location, clean, essential, but if you consider both the price and where you are in London, I definitely can't understand the negative reviews. It is not definitely for people who have problems with stairs because there is no lift, but being a Victorian building, please, pay attention at the period feature and enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: There is no lift in this B&B, and in case you have problems with stairs, ask while booking for a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Zejtun, Malta
Reviewed 21 January 2014

If you're looking for luxury, look elsewhere; if you're looking for luxury at this price, get real! If you want a clean room (with small, but totally adequate sanitary facilities), smack in the middle of Earl's Court, 1 minute's walk from Earl's Court Underground Station, very friendly and helpful staff, and a modest but good breakfast, look no further! My only concern would be for those who cannot do the stairs, as there is no lift. As far as I'm concerned, and as long as my legs can carry me up and down the stairs, I shall not be looking elsewhere for accommodation on my future trips to London!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Vince P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Based on my experience, I would definitely not recommend staying here if you need a good night's sleep.

I just wanted a bed for the night, and for that, it would've been adequate - it was run down, but not dirty, which I was willing to accept for £32.50.

But what made it a waste of £32.50 was the noise from other hotel 'guests' or the proprietors(?), which was appalling. Doors being knocked on, Doors slamming really loudly (as if on a self closing hinge). People talking loudly (maybe outside smoking?).
It got to 1am and I put my ipod on to try to drown out the noise. I think it stopped about 2.

I was on the ground floor, which may be why my experience was worse than some others on here who have awarded full marks??

At the end of the day, the manager of a hotel should ensure that noise levels are kept to a minimum to ensure the comfort of hotel guests. It is not too much to expect.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Triffel
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Guest,
While the Hotel is situated in central London, Penywern Road is a leafy, quiet side street within the Royal Borough. The hotel is quiet and peaceful at all times as verified by reviews on this and other sites and by our Guestbook. . We have checked our guest list for the night in question and the normal mix of families and business guests were staying with us for between 1 and 4 night stays. All have left entirely positive comments with us.
as the room which we allocated to you was very close to Reception - had you asked our very kind and willing evening reception manager to check out any possible noise source - he would have done so immediately and done his very best to rectify.
We do point out however, that since the Windsor House Hotel and all the other hotels along Penywern Road maintain a No Smoking policy, there will be guests who exit the hotels to smoke in the street. Management cannot prevent this, but we can request, very kindly, that make as little noise as possible.
we are so very sorry that you have been unhappy with this aspect of London Living - and add that we do feel, that to a large extent - no area of our Capital can guarantee complete silence.
with kind regards,
the Manager.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 January 2014

If you are looking something fancy this is not the place. But if you are looking something economy (very difficult to find in London) and close to the underground and all the attractions in London this is a great alternative. We are a family of 5 and London is not cheaper at all and worse in our case. We found Windsor House Hotel and we enjoyed a friendly staff for an economy fare. Not only we got a good price but also we were less than 100 meters from the Earl's Court underground station connecting us to all the attractions. Other advantage was the possibility to save money by cooking in the hotel's kitchen. I recommend this hotel but be aware that is not 5 stars. It is a family hotel with a kindly staff always keen to help you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank asciaini1980
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Without a doubt the worst place I've ever stayed in. We had room 11 with a double and single bed. The room was tiny and the bathroom totally inadequate, it was so small that to go to the toilet u couldn't close the door. The sink drain was blocked as well as the shower drain being completely blocked so almost flooded the room when used. We had to put the shower head in the toilet to warm the water up which took a good 5 to 10 minutes. The curtains were faded and old as was the damaged dented walls. The beds old and uncomfortable. Paper thin walls so could hear everything our neighbors were doing and saying. We had a balcony which we were looking forward to but was forbidden to be used. The only advantage to this place was the location and clean sheets. We has booked 3 nights but left after 2. It was way to depressing and we dreaded to go back so we cut our time in London short instead. I can deal with no frills but this was non functioning and horrible in every way.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Voiky
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Here we have a beautiful mid-Victorian building - retaining a wealth of original features - displaying some very ornate ceilings and centre roses, patterned archetraves and picture rails- all of which have been carefully retained and maintained. These are Not 'bumpy walls ' but do present a little differently from a Newbuild - where rooms will conform to straight-line square boxes.
Room space . however, is standard UK size for doubles and triples - as are the ensuites.
We are sorry that the washbasin and shower blocked during your stay - and we addressed and rectified this immediately.
With regard to balcony access - while we do have ornate balconies at high level, European guidelines instruct that restrictors be affixed to bay windows for guest safety. We are obliged to comply and while we could not permit balcony access we Do have a large patio and garden at ground floor level.
Luckily, our positive reviews,both here below and in our Guestbook do attest to our care for our standards, and also attest to our very patient Management staff who are always at hand to look after our very welcome guests of all age groups and from all parts of the World.
with kind regards.,
the management.
Caldicot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Great place to stay if your looking for an inexpensive stay. No frills, basic accommodation with friendly, helpful staff. We found it was ideally located very close to Earls Court tube station and the centre of London. Our room was clean, with an en suite and use of a kitchen. Perfect if your looking for a place to rest your bed. Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
malta
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I been here several times when in London, excellent location, cosy, clean, no frills hotel, but the most ideal for visiting and shopping in London, excellent location in earls court just round the corner from the station on the Piccadilly line straight to Heathrow airport.very friendly staff, good sized rooms and clean, all I need when in London, no frills as I am out and about all day, just a good place for a good rest in the night.will return once again, for the fourth time.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs ask for a ground or 1st floor room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family