“A nice stay in the Windsor House Hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windsor House Hotel

Windsor House Hotel
Ranked #979 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“A nice stay in the Windsor House Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

We are a family of four from Oslo, Norway, and we had a really enjoyable stay in the Windsor House Hotel this Easter. The Hotel, we found, reflects good values from “good old days”, like simplicity and reliability. It has a really good location in a pleasant and quiet neighbourhood, typical of the South Kensington. There is virtually less than two minutes’ walk from the Earls Court railway station, which has easy connections by different tube lines to practically every possible site of interest in London. The hotel itself offers comfortable, but not luxurious rooms to a very reasonable price. Every day we came home from seeing London, it was so nice to return to a tidy end well cleaned room. The breakfast, included in the fare, contained just what you would need to be fresh and fit for another day of experiencing this exciting city or its pleasant surroundings.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Trygve S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Hello all,
I just write here my story.
I wanted to book a double room in this B&B. I phoned them (there is no way to book it directly on the internet...strange, isn't it?!) and they told me that a double room was available for the period I needed. They asked me my card details on the phone, I replied that I preferred to have their account details and transfer them money. The receptionist told me to send an e-mail with: the period of stay, type of room wanted and stressing the fact that I wanted their details to transfer money to them. He didn't advice me that this could cause some delays and the room could go away. I sent this e-mail immediately on Thursday: NO ONE REPLY MY (I WOULDN'T CALL THIS "COMPETENCE"). I phoned them again on Friday, the room was still available. Same story, the receptionist told me to send this e-mail (second time) with all the details. I did it, two hours later someone replied me: the room is gone!
It is clear that if someone had replied me on Thursday (by showing a little of professionalism)...I would have book the room with no problems!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank GabrieleLibro
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
we note that you did not Book, Pay, or Stay - and that therefore your Words describe your failure to progress a reservation. Our guests certainly Do reserve on line, both by email and via a large number of on line Agents, and by telephone as well. In order to reserve a valid Credit card is required, or failing this, alternative methods of payment are organized.
We Do respond diligently, in a very timely way, and in full to enquiries. When space is almost all sold out we advise the enquirer of this and request that they contact us rapidly if they want to reserve.
We are very sorry that you were unable to progress the reservation in good time , as we would have done our very best to welcome you. With Kind regards., the Manager.

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Pros:
very good emplacement, really close to the Earl's court tube station
My room had a tv
The sheets were quite clean and the bed was comfortable
The staff was nice (although, not speaking aenglish very good)
Hot water and good pressure
It is basically perfect for the traveller type of person
And as I hear it has a small price too COMPARED with the other hotels in London.
Someone came in the morning and (kind of) cleaned the room and made the bed - in my absensce
Cons:
NO WIFI!!!
Very small bathroom and
The overall cleanliness could be improved
The doors were weird and cheap and I could hear everything from outside
I had to pay cash.....

In conclusion, IT IS WORTH IT!

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Daniel P
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Cheap and great located hotel in London. 2 mins walk from Earls Court station. Friendly people and atmosphere. Clean and comfortable and you can use the kitchen during the day. I would defintly stay here again, and also recommend it for family and friends. You get what you pay for, which is what counts.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

I only stayed one night here and will never return. The website highlights that it is a family run business which implies that a lot of care goes into looking after the place. No matter what the rate for the night, the basics you are paying for is being able to sleep.
The house was once a beautiful building, yes there are some original features but only ones that are on the very high ceilings so would cost money to take away. Clearly no money is ever spent on this building except to try and cram as many rooms as is physically possible. The walls are paper thin. The family next door might as well have been in the same room as me (They were not boisterous or overly loud, just a family chatting to each other) which meant I couldn't get a wink of sleep after a hard days work until they fell to sleep.
Talking of sleep again, first impressions when entering the room- dark,dingy, musty and stale.
The mattress on the bed was older than me. Filthy, -I note a management response to an earlier review says the mattresses are changed every 18months, clearly this one hasn't been.
The only way I felt able to sleep on it was to also lie on the top sheet and fold this over.
On the plus side, the sheets and towels were clean and I had no issue with this.
The sink wouldn't drain away, the shower was a horrible free standing plastic cubicle sitting oddly in the room. The water would not get warm never mind cold and did not flow properly from the shower head.
I cannot comment on the food as my impression of the room did not inspire me to try the breakfast.

Room Tip: Not for people who don't want stairs or shared toilets (not necessarily on floor you're stay...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Junefromthemoon
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Dear Guest,
A one overnight stay in a standard single room, may not have given you the opportunity to visit the Hotel in full particularly with late arrival. We would respond that the original features of this beautiful building include not only the original ornate ceilings - but also several expertly maintained areas of Victorian floor tiles.
the hotel's hot and cold water temperatures are checked daily and verified as correct.
We are sorry to note that you were unhappy with your brief stay as you were a very welcome guest and our sole aim is to ensure that our guests are both happy and comfortable.
with kind regards., The Management.
Kastel Gomilica, Croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Location is perfect, just few minutes away from metro station! Rooms are good, hotel is quite clean. Staff is very helpful and nice, kitchen can be used during the whole day, what's important for families with little kids, like us, with 14 months old son.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank allredgirl09
Busto A. Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I've just spent a short trip with my students at the Windsor House Hotel. Before leaving, many parents paid their compliments for the cheap price asked and everyone knew how basic the accommodation would be, and none complained. Being a regular, I've noticed improvements since my last visit, a bigger breakfast, new carpet, people always nice and ready to help, clean everywhere and being able to use the kitchen, especially when you have food allergies, in my opinion is a must. WIndsor House Hotel is B&B in a fantastic location, clean, essential, but if you consider both the price and where you are in London, I definitely can't understand the negative reviews. It is not definitely for people who have problems with stairs because there is no lift, but being a Victorian building, please, pay attention at the period feature and enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: There is no lift in this B&B, and in case you have problems with stairs, ask while booking for a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends