“Dont do it !!!!”

Windsor House Hotel
Ranked #976 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 April 2014

It is the worst place I ever lived in.Me and my husband got a room at about 6 sqare metres. In the room there was a bed about 1,30 x 1.90, a closet,a table, a dresser, a chair, a shower cabin a wash basin...there was not room for 2 people at all. We asked for a another room but the one they offered was same same. The toilet is outside and only in the cellar and on 2 floor. There was not hot water in the shower at the room and the carpet was wet /humid The spring madras was so poor that I got blue marks on the shoulder because of the of the spring. The quilt was a sheet for 2 !! I asked for some more blankets to lay on the madrass and they were wery old. And i am a little one at 60 kgs so it was not because of that. The breakfast was from 7.30- 9. Everybody came at 8.30-9 and then you have to wait- there was no room for alle in the kitchen. And they closed the kitchen from 9-11. The breakfast was cheap toast, butter & jam and hardboiled egg. Very poor.The hotel is very old and worn and I would never ever again live here. We had to pay at the first day we arrived .I chosed the hotel because of the reviews on this site- I dont know who wrote them but its a big lie.The room and bed are way to small. Toilet and bath are at least 50 years old and very poor. No soape at the toliet and its in the hall. The bed is so small that two normal weight person are having big trouble to sleep.No service , no nothing. Yes its a budget hotel, but i did not expect it was so bad- and i have try to live many many places round the world. This is the worst.!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
6  Thank Susanne63K_benhavn
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guests, Happily we have a good number of entirely positive and appreciative comments on this review site as well in our Guestbook, with a great number of return stays, year on, year on. It is a matter of expectations vis-a-vis price paid and a modest and homely budget establishment cannot hope to satisfy a guest who, in reality, requires a far higher category of accommodation - with all the accompanying services and at far higher cost.
Specifically, if a double room with shower is booked at the lowest possible rate. full ensuite facilties are not provided - however the price choice is evident at the time of reservation. Extra facilities are provided on each floor and these are spotlessly clean, in excellent condition, and contrary to your statement, are re-furbished and renewed each year.
All of our rooms and all of our shower facilities are of standard UK/London footage/size. Our hot water system works perfectly - and we have No complaints of any sort in either respect.
the same can be said for our breakfast - which is copious and served with a smile.
We are sorry to see that you were not happy with us, as our sole aim is to ensure that our very welcome guests are happy and comfortable. We were obviously not your cup of tea - but we take comfort in the comments from happy reviewers - whose cup of tea we do seem to be. We do state very clearly that we are better suited to the young or active young at heart sector - mainly due to stairs - no lift. Once again, we are sorry - as you were very welcome guests.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We are a family of five how travelled down from Yorkshire. Excellent value for money hotel for those wanting a very clean place to stay with no frills this is perfect. Ideal location for those wanting a travel all over London as we did. Cooked breakfast served as well as facilites to make your own hot meals in the evening. Would definately stay here again and would highly recommend it to those more interested in cleanliness and value for money rather than luxury.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We are a family of four from Oslo, Norway, and we had a really enjoyable stay in the Windsor House Hotel this Easter. The Hotel, we found, reflects good values from “good old days”, like simplicity and reliability. It has a really good location in a pleasant and quiet neighbourhood, typical of the South Kensington. There is virtually less than two minutes’ walk from the Earls Court railway station, which has easy connections by different tube lines to practically every possible site of interest in London. The hotel itself offers comfortable, but not luxurious rooms to a very reasonable price. Every day we came home from seeing London, it was so nice to return to a tidy end well cleaned room. The breakfast, included in the fare, contained just what you would need to be fresh and fit for another day of experiencing this exciting city or its pleasant surroundings.

2  Thank Trygve S
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Hello all,
I just write here my story.
I wanted to book a double room in this B&B. I phoned them (there is no way to book it directly on the internet...strange, isn't it?!) and they told me that a double room was available for the period I needed. They asked me my card details on the phone, I replied that I preferred to have their account details and transfer them money. The receptionist told me to send an e-mail with: the period of stay, type of room wanted and stressing the fact that I wanted their details to transfer money to them. He didn't advice me that this could cause some delays and the room could go away. I sent this e-mail immediately on Thursday: NO ONE REPLY MY (I WOULDN'T CALL THIS "COMPETENCE"). I phoned them again on Friday, the room was still available. Same story, the receptionist told me to send this e-mail (second time) with all the details. I did it, two hours later someone replied me: the room is gone!
It is clear that if someone had replied me on Thursday (by showing a little of professionalism)...I would have book the room with no problems!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank GabrieleLibro
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

we note that you did not Book, Pay, or Stay - and that therefore your Words describe your failure to progress a reservation. Our guests certainly Do reserve on line, both by email and via a large number of on line Agents, and by telephone as well. In order to reserve a valid Credit card is required, or failing this, alternative methods of payment are organized.
We Do respond diligently, in a very timely way, and in full to enquiries. When space is almost all sold out we advise the enquirer of this and request that they contact us rapidly if they want to reserve.
We are very sorry that you were unable to progress the reservation in good time , as we would have done our very best to welcome you. With Kind regards., the Manager.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Pros:
very good emplacement, really close to the Earl's court tube station
My room had a tv
The sheets were quite clean and the bed was comfortable
The staff was nice (although, not speaking aenglish very good)
Hot water and good pressure
It is basically perfect for the traveller type of person
And as I hear it has a small price too COMPARED with the other hotels in London.
Someone came in the morning and (kind of) cleaned the room and made the bed - in my absensce
Cons:
NO WIFI!!!
Very small bathroom and
The overall cleanliness could be improved
The doors were weird and cheap and I could hear everything from outside
I had to pay cash.....

In conclusion, IT IS WORTH IT!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Daniel P
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Cheap and great located hotel in London. 2 mins walk from Earls Court station. Friendly people and atmosphere. Clean and comfortable and you can use the kitchen during the day. I would defintly stay here again, and also recommend it for family and friends. You get what you pay for, which is what counts.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I only stayed one night here and will never return. The website highlights that it is a family run business which implies that a lot of care goes into looking after the place. No matter what the rate for the night, the basics you are paying for is being able to sleep.
The house was once a beautiful building, yes there are some original features but only ones that are on the very high ceilings so would cost money to take away. Clearly no money is ever spent on this building except to try and cram as many rooms as is physically possible. The walls are paper thin. The family next door might as well have been in the same room as me (They were not boisterous or overly loud, just a family chatting to each other) which meant I couldn't get a wink of sleep after a hard days work until they fell to sleep.
Talking of sleep again, first impressions when entering the room- dark,dingy, musty and stale.
The mattress on the bed was older than me. Filthy, -I note a management response to an earlier review says the mattresses are changed every 18months, clearly this one hasn't been.
The only way I felt able to sleep on it was to also lie on the top sheet and fold this over.
On the plus side, the sheets and towels were clean and I had no issue with this.
The sink wouldn't drain away, the shower was a horrible free standing plastic cubicle sitting oddly in the room. The water would not get warm never mind cold and did not flow properly from the shower head.
I cannot comment on the food as my impression of the room did not inspire me to try the breakfast.

Room Tip: Not for people who don't want stairs or shared toilets (not necessarily on floor you're stay...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Junefromthemoon
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Guest,
A one overnight stay in a standard single room, may not have given you the opportunity to visit the Hotel in full particularly with late arrival. We would respond that the original features of this beautiful building include not only the original ornate ceilings - but also several expertly maintained areas of Victorian floor tiles.
the hotel's hot and cold water temperatures are checked daily and verified as correct.
We are sorry to note that you were unhappy with your brief stay as you were a very welcome guest and our sole aim is to ensure that our guests are both happy and comfortable.
with kind regards., The Management.