“good an overnight near the center of London”

Windsor House Hotel
Ranked #983 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I was there earlier as is possible to set in the dates.

The room was clean, sufficient for an overnight. The location near the metro station. Cleanliness of the hotel was good, the food was delicious, the staff was nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Juraj K

Reviewed 25 June 2014

My boyfriend and I were traveling to London on a budget (as recent American college graduates) and decided to lodge here for the week. We wanted to avoid a hostel so we stayed here since the rooms came with a private bathroom. We arrived, got our keys, and waited about 15 minutes for our room to be ready. No problem.

However, when we arrived in our room it was pretty basic (as to be expected) but we did not anticipate our bed being two old twin beds pushed together with a crevasse down the middle. Not great for sleeping but we didn't come to London to spend the day in our hotel. However, the space was clean, we got fresh towels upon request, and the neighborhood was quiet.

My only grievance was that there was only one outlet in the entire room. We had to ask a staff member help us find the it but they nicely lent us a power strip.

I also would recommend to the hotel that they look into supplying some sort of wifi, it would make the hotel that much more attractive for visitors coming from abroad that don't have cell service.

Over all the stay was fine. Don't expect too much, but it could suit you just fine if you're on a budget.

(Note, I cannot speak for the quality of the breakfast. Also, I assume there is no heating (due to the space heater in our room) or air conditioning so would maybe want to avoid in the summer )

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Yungtravaler
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I know the area well as I travel to London often for work. You couldn't ask for a better location zone 1 - rooms are adequate and we were a family of 5 & had our own bathroom - loved the shower and hot water!! Room was very clean, we had a fan and could open windows for fresh air. Staff was friendly and helpful and what we loved most was the idea of running to Sainsburys for some groceries and being allowed to cook 'at home' which we did 4 of 7 nights we were there. Saved lots of money on that option. Would suggest a larger fridge please :). Ps. Team was helpful on getting me to an Internet cafe so I could buy night before and print discount tickets to great London attractions at a fraction of the cost---

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Rbochenski
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I stayed at Windsor House with a group of 35 school children in May. That was my first stay in this hotel. I saw it before so I knew what to expect. I am a school trip organiser so I know London hostels quite well. On this occassion I decided to accommodate my group at Windsor to see how it would work out. Firstly, the location is superb. Earl's Court station is just a stone's throw from the city centre, Science and Natural museums are within walking distance. You cannot really ask for more. As for the rooms, a good thing about them is the fact that there are no bunk beds. The rooms are quite small and could do with a bit of repainting, though. But still, they are better than dorms. What is improtant the rooms are cleaned daily, something you cannot expect in a hostel.

The staff is really friendly and accommodating. All issues I had were reseolved straightaway.

A huge advantage of the hotel is a self-catering kitchn. We had a chef cooking for us and it worked out really well. We had also asked for the kitchen to be closed for our evening classes. They agreed to do so without a problem.

Summing up, if you are looking for a clean, modest and secure place and you are on a budget this place is what you are looking for.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank A D
Reviewed 23 May 2014

The Windsor House is located in a easy to access part of London. While it is not a luxury hotel, it has all of the basics. It is close to everything you want to see in London or is close to the Tube which will take you to everything you want to see, has basic rooms, and the people who work there go out of their way to make your stay everything you hoped for. I had to come back during the day a couple of times and saw how hard they worked to make sure the rooms were clean for that evening's guests. I even saw them scrubbing the steps out front. I don't go to London to lounge around a hotel room. The Windsor House gives me the basics that I need, and a warm, friendly atmosphere!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Michael W
Reviewed 22 April 2014

It is the worst place I ever lived in.Me and my husband got a room at about 6 sqare metres. In the room there was a bed about 1,30 x 1.90, a closet,a table, a dresser, a chair, a shower cabin a wash basin...there was not room for 2 people at all. We asked for a another room but the one they offered was same same. The toilet is outside and only in the cellar and on 2 floor. There was not hot water in the shower at the room and the carpet was wet /humid The spring madras was so poor that I got blue marks on the shoulder because of the of the spring. The quilt was a sheet for 2 !! I asked for some more blankets to lay on the madrass and they were wery old. And i am a little one at 60 kgs so it was not because of that. The breakfast was from 7.30- 9. Everybody came at 8.30-9 and then you have to wait- there was no room for alle in the kitchen. And they closed the kitchen from 9-11. The breakfast was cheap toast, butter & jam and hardboiled egg. Very poor.The hotel is very old and worn and I would never ever again live here. We had to pay at the first day we arrived .I chosed the hotel because of the reviews on this site- I dont know who wrote them but its a big lie.The room and bed are way to small. Toilet and bath are at least 50 years old and very poor. No soape at the toliet and its in the hall. The bed is so small that two normal weight person are having big trouble to sleep.No service , no nothing. Yes its a budget hotel, but i did not expect it was so bad- and i have try to live many many places round the world. This is the worst.!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Susanne63K_benhavn
Beefair, Manager at Windsor House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Guests, Happily we have a good number of entirely positive and appreciative comments on this review site as well in our Guestbook, with a great number of return stays, year on, year on. It is a matter of expectations vis-a-vis price paid and a modest and homely budget establishment cannot hope to satisfy a guest who, in reality, requires a far higher category of accommodation - with all the accompanying services and at far higher cost.
Specifically, if a double room with shower is booked at the lowest possible rate. full ensuite facilties are not provided - however the price choice is evident at the time of reservation. Extra facilities are provided on each floor and these are spotlessly clean, in excellent condition, and contrary to your statement, are re-furbished and renewed each year.
All of our rooms and all of our shower facilities are of standard UK/London footage/size. Our hot water system works perfectly - and we have No complaints of any sort in either respect.
the same can be said for our breakfast - which is copious and served with a smile.
We are sorry to see that you were not happy with us, as our sole aim is to ensure that our very welcome guests are happy and comfortable. We were obviously not your cup of tea - but we take comfort in the comments from happy reviewers - whose cup of tea we do seem to be. We do state very clearly that we are better suited to the young or active young at heart sector - mainly due to stairs - no lift. Once again, we are sorry - as you were very welcome guests.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We are a family of five how travelled down from Yorkshire. Excellent value for money hotel for those wanting a very clean place to stay with no frills this is perfect. Ideal location for those wanting a travel all over London as we did. Cooked breakfast served as well as facilites to make your own hot meals in the evening. Would definately stay here again and would highly recommend it to those more interested in cleanliness and value for money rather than luxury.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family