“value for money”

The George Hotel
Ranked #68 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Chicago
Reviewed 3 December 2004

very good value for money. I stay in george Hotel couple of days each month, when on business trip. Servis is great and staff most helpful.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 December 2004

First visit to London from Houston TX, I just would like to thank you all the staff at the George Hotel for a very pleasant stay. I had a wonderful time with my girlfriend that we hope to come back and stay with you again in the near future. We found the receptionist extremely helpful, pointing us in right directions with regards to restaurants, attractions, travel information. We felt really welcome and would not hesitate to recommend the George Hotel to future travellers.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 August 2004

Although the staff were pleasant enough, thet hotel is in bad need of repair. The first room offered was a dingy basement affair next to a busy cleaning supply store room. We objected and were given a room on the second floor. This room had a new shower/toilet unit which was tiny, though clean. The rest of the room was dingy and worn. The door fit loosely in the frame, which caused both security concerns and let in noise from the creaky hallway and stairs.

The bed was worn and uncomfortable, the carpet was badly stained, as were the bed coverings and curtains. The room had a persistent foul smell that led us to leave the windows open at night. The street outside was noisy at times during the night despite being on a seemingly quiet crescent.

Breakfast was in a small crowded room with no frills and the lack of cleanliness in what we could see of the kitchen was slightly unnerving.

All in all the stay was unpleasant, and we left after one night to find a much more satisfactory hotel at a similar price just a few blocks away.

4  Thank PeterDCalifornia_USA
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2004

I had the pleasure of staying at the George Hotel during my first trip to Europe in March 2003, and would readily recommend it to anyone who requires clean and comfortable lodgings who doesn't need or want to be waited on hand and foot.

I stayed in one of the first floor single rooms with shower and WC, and if you can get one of those rooms I would highly recommend it. Large windows facing onto the little tennis court in Cartwright Gardens, and rooms are always clean and tidy. The en-suite facilities are more than adequate if you can accept a small space (facilities are retro-fitted into the existing Georgian building), and the overall atmosphere is cosy and pleasant.

The hotel is ideally located in a quiet area, but transport connections are handy and the British Museum is a pleasant walk away. As mentioned by other reviewers, the breakfasts here are both generous and very tasty, and security is very good.

I do tend to agree with some of the reviews that the staff aren't immediately welcoming, but in my experience they respond helpfully to any queries and if you stay for a few days they warm up considerably.

Overall I would readily stay at the George Hotel again - but if you're after VIP service or a more intimate experience, I'd advise you to stay elsewhere. For the price, location, facilities and charm, the George Hotel is hard to beat if you're after a solid, unpretentious stay in London.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 July 2004

I'm just back from a month long trip to Europe which included a week in London. I’ve just seen a report from a guest who stayed at the George Hotel which I think is very unfair and doesn’t reflect my experiences there at all. When I checked in I found the reception staff to be very friendly and efficient. I’d arrived early and my room wasn’t ready but they suggested that I have breakfast (free!), leave my luggage and come back later. I travel on my own and the room I was in was a single room with a bathroom just down the corridor for 47 pounds a day. It had a tray with a kettle with tea, coffee, milk and sugar, a TV with extra film channels that didn’t cost extra and a basin for washing. It was quite small but was spotless and cleaned every day, as was the bathroom that I used. It wasn’t luxurious but quite adequate for what I wanted and when I was searching for a place to stay this was about the cheapest place I could find that was so close to the center.

I think that, sometimes, people who criticise these B&B hotels forget that they can get the facilities they want in the larger hotels but they will have to pay accordingly or choose somewhere away from the center of London.

I want to finish with special praise for the staff as their friendliness provided the “icing on the cake” for me, particularly as I was travelling alone. There was a very friendly atmosphere there and I shall always look forward to staying again on my next trip over.

• Stayed: January 2005
2  Thank Luckyhen
tlv,israel
Reviewed 29 June 2004

I have just stayed a week at the hotel and was very pleased with the hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful,the rooms were old but clean, and I felt I had a comfortable place to put my head down at night. Well done, I thoroughly recommend this hotel as a no frills, reasonable place to stay in london.

• Stayed: June 2004