“Love it, but...”

Ranked #70 of 1,063 Hotels in London
New York, NY
“Love it, but...”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I just completed my second stay at ME London. I am in London every 6 to 8 weeks and I have given up on the Hilton brand in the UK. Seeing ME open opposite the Hilton Waldorf I decided to give it a try and I have been so far very happy with the experience. The rooms are awesome - very well appointed and nicely sized for the London market. It definitely has a Gansevoort or Standard feel. A "sexy" button on the light switch is a nice touch. Expect to pay £300 to £500 a night for a nice room. I was upgraded to a suite this trip which was excellent. French champagne on arrival and really friendly staff is a plus.

Now for the negative. The One Group is operating the STK and rooftop (Radio) bar at ME. STK is good, food menu is almost identical to other restaurants and I have not had an issue getting a reservation. However operating a swank lounge in a hotel is complex and requires some thought. Hotel guests should never be made to feel like they are inferior to the clientele attending the lounge. On several occasions I was asked if I was going to the lounge - said "no" - and was then told I would need to use another elevator. The doormen have not seemed to fully grasp how elevators work and I literally spent minutes each time waiting to get an elevator that would take me to my room. On Monday night it good to such a point of absurdity I totally lost it. Anyway the interference of the rooftop lounge in my accommodation experience has had me rethinking visiting ME again. Other that that I would recommend it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London Hotel, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Thank you for your helpful review. It is indeed a shame that your hotel experience was overshadowed by exterior motives. We are closely working together to reach the best solution and create a welcoming and positive experience for all our residences. Please do come back and give us another opportunity to provide an all round, exceptional experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Thai first
Brighton
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was only in this hotel for a few hours and found this to be a comfortable and luxurious experience. I loved the toiletries, bath robe, very comfortable bed, spacious bathroom, the view and the midday checkout. I was disappointed that I twice had to phone reception to ask for a toothbrush. Following the second call, someone did arrive with one but after 45 minutes. One of our bedside lamps did not work- I would have expected this to have been checked. We found that there was a little too much ambience in the corridor outside our room. The smell of watermelon freshener was rather sickly and the lighting so dimmed we struggled to find our way. Nonetheless, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this impressive central London hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ElectraCooter
Thank you for your review. It is a real shame that we failed to reach our standards on such simple requests. We are indeed following up on this, and would love you to come back and experience our normal and outstanding service.
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Positives: Great location, architecture and okay design. Roof terrace was fun and we did get there with the 'I'm staying here' card.
Negatives: checked in at 6.45pm - room was being cleaned. 20 mins later got the key. Is checkin not normally mid afternoon? Surely bits ridiculous not to have rooms ready by 6pm? Shampoo, shower gel and body lotion all half used. Eventually got some full ones from housekeeping. Dust/dirt behind toilet door. Asked to borrow iPhone charger - they said they couldn't lend but would charge at reception. Next morning phone completely dead so they lent me cable. Cable didn't work as was not genuine apple one I suspect. I shouldn't expect a cable but when told they would charge up my phone and I left with them / borrowed a charger it was a bit disappointing it didn't work.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your constructive review. Check in time at ME London is 3pm and should be followed. Our Management team are following up on this unusual case as to why it was not achieved, yet please do accept our most sincere apologies. Your comments regarding the in room amenities and iPad charger are quite alarming, and, if applicable, will be rectified immediately. Please do come back and allow us to show your our normal, and exceptional service at ME London.
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband booked us a night at the ME London for my 50th Birthday surprise, we stayed here on Tuesday August 6th, once he had told me on my birthday I came straight on here and looked at the reviews, needless to say I was a tad worried, we aren't young and trendy, noisy and want to be up until 3am! Without him knowing I contacted the hotel and expressed my concern about the reviews of noise etc, I received a lovely email back ensuring that we wouldn't be allocated a room on the first floor or top floors and she had made a note on our booking.
We arrived at the hotel early, just expecting to ask if we could offload our bags and then go sight seeing, we were met by very friendly and welcoming staff and was shown to reception where we were able to check in straight away, we were asked if we would like to upgrade for a minimal amount to which we did, while the receptionist was sorting all this out she offered us both a glass of champagne which was lovely. Within minutes we were on our way to our room and wow, what rooms they are.
We finished our champagne in the room and then went to the rooftop bar for lunch, one tip, you cant get to the rooftop bar from all the lifts! You have to go to the bottom and get in another lift.
We found a table fine and the staff were lovely and friendly, I was a little paranoid that we would be under dressed or look out of place but not at all. We had a lovely lunch of tapas and cocktails in the sunshine. Service was quick, food was gorgeous, first class, different and tasty. Service was excellent.
Each time we either went out or came in the hotel we were met with friendly faces and felt welcomed.
We slept perfect, I don't think I have ever slept on such a comfy bed or had such lovely soft pillows, there was no noise whatsoever and no problems at any time of the day in the lobby or lifts, we came back to the hotel at about 11.30 and I expected it to be a buzz of drunken young people but not at all. Maybe this is because it was a Tuesday and midweek and the party goers are out more at weekends?
If I have any negatives to say it would be the lifts, so temperamental and at one point I thought we were stuck, we just got into a habit of pressing ground floor and starting again and by the second day got used to them, I think maybe some information either in the lift, in the room or with your keycards would be beneficial. We couldn't find useful telephone numbers either in the rooms but this is only a minimal negative.
I loved this hotel and if I could afford it I wouldn't ever stay anywhere else when coming to London, we was able to walk to all the tourist points easily and Covent Garden was a stones throw away.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank linda1407
Thank you for such an outstanding review! Our team strives to provide a tailored service for each individual, creating the most unique experience for every occasion. It is a great pleasure to read how we successfully achieved this… Please do come back for more and we promise to totally blow you away, yet again.
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Just like Actors & Performers, any Venue & Establishment is only as good as its' last performance & given what we experienced, the ME, London would have been booed off stage & slammed by the. critics! The service was generally dreadful, condescending, pompous, unhelpful & totally void of customer-focused service. The attitude was very much, take it or leave it & as though we should be grateful to be even be allowed in there; such approach & conduct is wholly unacceptable & highly disrespectful to Customers & Patrons alike! Needless to say we will not return and/or recommend & I am pursuing a direct complaint with Melia whom I'm absolutely horrified are endorsing & associating with such disgraceful & shameful conduct.

Stayed August 2013
16 Thank Navilluso
Thank you for your review. In order to improve our service, we would love to know more details about your experience at ME London. Please do contact us directly, or our team at Melia Hotels International Head Quarters in order to discover your experience and offer the most adequate solution.
london
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

I booked a one night stay at ME London, as part of a theatre weekend away with my husband for our anniversary.

I will start with my pre-stay experience, as Melia sell this hotel as a "full experience". Unfortunately it starts with a gripe since it seems that this particular Melia hotel does not honour the benefits of their own Melia Rewards programme. As a Gold member, I am usually entitled to early check in and late check out, but having emailed the hotel, was informed that this "perk" is not available at ME London. Very disappointing.

My hopes were raised a little when a week before my stay, I received an email fro the "Aura" team, inviting me to reply with any requests, or reservations required during my stay since, as they reiterated, staying at ME London is more than just a hotel stay, but a whole experience. So I replied, with a request for a room in quiet are of the hotel, and asking for a reservation for an afternoon drink in the Radio roof top bar. I received no response at all- further disappointment!

Upon arrival at 3pm, we were escorted from the entrance to the 1st floor reception by a member of staff who barely managed a smile and mumbled a few words under his breath about the hotel whilst in the lift. At check in, we were informed that despite it being past the hotel's check in time, our room was not ready, so we were given a offered a glass of champagne which the concierge suggested we enjoy in the rooftop bar. He accompanied us to the lift which goes to the roof top bar. The lift was (quite literally) being "guarded" by two doormen. I can understand that a hotel might look for a certain level of clientele, but we are a professional couple in our 30s and were smartly dressed. The concierge proceeded to have an augment with them about whether or not we were "allowed" into the rooftop bar. Once the doorman had given us a good look up and down, he eventually decided that we could go up, if we agreed to a £100 minimum spend per person!!!!

Looking at other reviews, it seems that our disappointment and issues with the Radio Bar are shared by many - it is not operated by the hotel and despite the hotel's responses to these reviews, it is clear that hotel guests are not welcome. Setting a £100 minimum spend per person in the middle of the afternoon is completely ridiculous and means that it is not accessible for any guest wanting anything less than to drink themselves under the table! If it is run as a separate concern, fine, but Melia need to remove the Radio Bar from their website, because they are offering something which is not available to the majority of guests.

The hotel itself is quite spectacular - the room was great (apart from the fact that there is only a shower and no bath in the Aura rooms). We were on the 2nd floor looking onto the Strand and could hear no noise at all, from the road or from the bars.

However, the attitude of the staff left me with the overwhelming feeling of being unwelcome in a hotel which we had paid in excess of £300 per night for. We enjoyed a lovely meal over the road at One Aldwych and will be opting to stay there next time.

Stayed August 2013
2 Thank babyhopper
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Thank you for your review babyhoopper! We are pleased you enjoyed the fantastic design of the Aura rooms in the second floor at the ME London Hotel. In regards of the Melia Rewards benefits, due to the terms and condition some of the F&B benefits are not available, what it comes to early check in and late check out, depends on the availability but they are offered like in any other hotel of Melia Hotels International. We have implemented a new procedure that prioritises the guests of the hotel to access Radio. However depends on the day of the week there is still a minimum spent on tables. Babyhoopper, please get in touch with the Aura or Experience Manager when you book your room again, we will make sure that we offer you the real ME London Experience!
Oxford
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I booked this hotel for our wedding anniversary total disaster, first impression was brilliant the appearance and architecture was amazing. But our story goes like this, after having a shower I got a knock on the door hotel staff telling me the shower was leaking into the room below. Reception asked us to move rooms I reluctantly agreed to this as we had thearte tickets for 7.30 pm the time was now about 7pm .explained this would be a massive inconvenience and did nt want to be late for the theatre, reception said don't worry we will move your belongings for you and we will give you the card for the room now so I could get to the thearte on time (which we still didn't thanks to this). Agreed with my wife we would forget about this and just try and carry on with our weekend. Returned to the our new room after our night out , we realised our room was better than our room before and our bags were there what was brilliant . Until I tried turning the lights on which were controlled by a touch screen panel on the wall . Which were really un user freindly and complicated to use ( I'm a electrician of 10 years of experience ) the lights would not stop flashing in the hall way ,rang reception maintenance came they could nt fix it and said it would need an engineer to come who be at least an hour!!! Time is now 2am suggested we wait in reception WTF! No rooms were available to move to so I demanded a taxi home (oxford)which they agreed to. Got home at 5am , when we unpacked in the morning it came clear that my work I phone was not in my bag, I left it in our original room rang the hotel to see if it was found in our 2nd room which it was not. When trying to get our belongings together which was made impossible because the lights wouldn't work in the bedroom I asked for a torch, the hotels answer was two candle lanterns to see in the dark. My phone is still missing lost or possibly stolen when our belongings were moved rooms? A really upsetting experience

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank David B
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London Hotel, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for your review. We’re truly devastated to read that you had such an appalling – and very rare – experience. We hope to see you back soon. We will make sure this time you enjoy the fabulous and exciting experience that Me London strives to provide