“Ok, but not five stars”
Review of ME London

ME London
Ranked #72 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stayed here for four nights on the eight floor, with a balcony and a nice view of London. The room was very modern, spacious and quiet and the bed was king size and very comfortable. Location is very good.

This is no doubt a cool and stylish hotel. Most of the staff was friendly and nice as long as you didn't try to go to the rooftop bar. It was obvious that they didn't want hotel guests to go to the top floor.

Bathroom was spacious and nice, except for the over designed shower that probably makes it impossible to clean. Tiles in the floor were broken, as well as the towel hangers, and old hair and other nasty stuff was on the floor.

For a five star hotel the devil is in the details, and there are a lot of small things this hotel has to work on: Wifi was complimentary but could take hours to start working, curtains were hanging loose, razor sharp metal edges on the desk, broken details in the room, balcony was very dirty. Small but not unimportant things that together give an overall bad impression.

This is more of a four star hotel than a five star. I would not stay here again. There are better three and four star hotels in London.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Anders31
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Anders31,

Thank you for choosing our ME London Hotel for your last stay in London. It was a real pleasure having you with us.

Also, thank you for sharing your experience with us, as without any doubt will help us improve those little important details that you mentioned from your room.
I already passed the information over to the Housekeeping Department, as well as the Maintenance Team, which will have a look to every single comment mentioned in your review.

I am glad you liked the Hotel Service the ME. London style.

Regarding the RADIO Bar, Guests in the Hotel are entitled to go up to the Bar with no reservation, although a table is not guaranteed if they are all booked. However, a non professional treatment to guests is unacceptable and do not hesitate I already spoke with the RADIO Manager so that he can take the necessary actions to improve the service in there.

Again, thank you very much for your review and all the best from ME London Hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,949)

Reviewed 4 July 2014

As previous guests have mentioned...you go here to see the novel architecture. The centre of the hotel where the reception is based is a 10 storey black marble pyramid so staff work in semi darkness with no natural light....it's quite bizarre but impressive. The rooms are based in black corridors around the outside of the pyramid -again no natural lighting and the room we were in (aura) had a high sealed window so the hotel does feel quite tomb like!! Felt quite claustrophobic. The rack rate for the room is £445 a night.......let me say that again.....£445!!!! And it is by far and away the smallest room I have ever had in a london hotel 5 star or 4star. The next surprise was ...no bath- just a shower! Didn't think you could achieve 5 star rating by any accrediting agency without a bath? When I queried this was told I had a 'cheaper' room (seriously?) and would need to upgrade for a bath.......and breakfast!!!! The bed was very comfortable and the air conditioning best I have had in London-v quiet and v efficient. But really you don't get a lot for your money...an expensive but well stocked mini bar and would have liked a tea and coffee tray but got a poncy nespresso machine but no tea. No spa and bizarrely-bath robes without belts every day (did someone hang themselves in hotel?.)There were children in room next to ours and at one stage I thought they were actually in our room at night! You could make out every word said and we had a very disturbed night so sound insulation v poor. Went to rooftop bar first afternoon- it was almost empty but after being seated-waited 20 mins and no one came to serve us so we left and went to covent garden instead. The bar and other rooms are hired out for functions and open to public so guests cannot guarantee access. Staff were very polite and helpful although having 'only' booked the entry level aura room did feel somewhat of a second class citizen! Overall- great location, tiny room, mad lighting system and not a lot for your money! Have paid less than half the rate for other 5 stars in London.

Room Tip: Keep away from noisy rooftop and ask not to have children next door!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank realityjane

Dear realityjane,

Thank you for sharing your experience with the world and thank you for choosing our ME London. Hotel for your last stay in London.
Your comments will definitely help us with a service improvement so we really appreciate them.

I understand the Hotel design can be shocking, as it is very contemporary and minimalistic. It was designed by Foster + Partners and I personally love it!

Regarding your room experience I am very sorry you did not enjoy your sleep because of the noise next door. The rooms are well insulated; However, I understand that the noise next door was quite high. Please, if you plan to come back contact us directly and we will try to accommodate your requests the best way we can, be it a bathtub, a quieter room or tea facilities instead of coffee ones.

Finally, regarding your RADIO rooftop Bar experience, I have already passed the message over to the Manager so that he can implement an immediate improvement regarding the service.

Again, Thank you very much and I hope to see you soon.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is a perfect location, ideal for visiting Covent Garden. From the moment you arrive the staff are attentive and welcoming even a lovely glass of chilled Prosecco at check- in. Once you find your room as the corridors are so dark (which I personally didn't like but that's very much a subjective view) the contrast of a bright white room is startling and great. The room we stayed in was the standard Aura and I will be honest was a bit underwhelming. The room is fairly small and the technology tv and lighting is over complicated which if you are only staying for one night is frustrating and I would recommend getting a demo off housekeeping that really helped! The rooftop bar is the best feature of the hotel with fantastic views over London. It's a bit pricey but totally worth it. Breakfast good too although they miss a trick not serving freshly cooked stuff to order, the only thing the 2 chefs prepare is eggs which as they are they could do eggs benedict and other stuff, as elsewhere though the staff are lovely. We did see a suite which looked fab and I would suggest upgrading to a vibe or a suite if you can.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a vibe room or one of the suites
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank hellycopter

Dear hellycopter,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts with the world. We really do appreciate your opinion.

I am glad you liked the Hotel in general. it is true that the location is very convenient and the design is very contemporary and spectacular.
The fact that you found the service very kind and professional makes me feel very happy and do not hesitate I am going to pass the message over to the Team.

Next time you would like to come back, do not hesitate to contact the ME London directly and we will be delighted to accommodate your requests as much as we possibly can.

Thank you very much again and I hope to see you soon :)

Reviewed 2 July 2014

Lovely room, bed was perfect, excellent technology, shower was brilliant. However, the TV signal was awful and kept freezing, was charged £50 when we checked in for stuff we didn't use and wasn't informed beforehand. Got woken up at 6:00 by loud whining pipes.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
3  Thank Arran H
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear Arran H,

Thank you so much for your great feedback. We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed the room so much. In regards of the television, we just had a software upgrade that will improve the quality of the sound and image. It is common hotel practice to authorise some money for the possible incidentals the guest may have, we are sorry if this caused you any inconvenience, it was not what we wanted. We are looking into the pipe whining issue you informed.

Please let the aura team know when you would like to come back again and we will take care of your wishes and desires.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Superb hotel, great location.Unable to offer a single criticism of this hotel. Service 5 star and staff are top class. We have stayed in more than 70 hotels in London including The Grosvenor and the Park Lane Hilton but the ME hotel sets the standard for how hotels should be in London.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Michael A
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

WOW Michael!! How exiciting have been to read your review...THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!

I am very happy to read that you enjoyed so much your experience with us at ME London :)

I am very much looking forward to greeting you back very soon.

Take care and all best wishes from ME London Team.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

Firstly the Roof Top Bar was not open as hired out to a private function but at no time on booking, on the website or by anyone in person was this communicated to us until we checked in and a solitary piece of paper was next to the till informing us.
Very cheap and very disappointing and prevented us from making an informed decision about where to stay.
Secondly despite the fact that the said piece of paper assured everyone that the other bar was open, it actually wasn't at 11.20 pm when we returned wanting a night cap.
Thirdly the TV in the room did not work all weekend. Despite the management being so advised three times.
Fourthly the attitude of the staff was shocking. On check out, us having been reassured that our concerns would be addressed, which sadly, they hadn't been, the female receptionist was dismissive, disinterested and downright rude. she also falsely accused us of having had free cocktails as compensation .
Fifthly there were broken tiles in the bathroom which were dangerous.
Sixthly the night before, when the roof top bar was open, a fight broke out involving broken glass and tables and the police were called.
Seventhly, the breakfast was dismal. the poached eggs were boiled beyond an inch of their lives and 2 pieces of toast between 2 was provided.
Awful. We will never stay here again

3  Thank VictoriaKNassar

Dear VictoriakNassar,

First of all, thank you very much for choosing the ME London Hotel for your last stay with us.

I was absolutely blown away by reading your review and I would like to apologise for all the inconveniences caused during your stay at ME London.

I am very sorry for the maintenance issues in the room and I would like to know a bit more about it so that I can investigate further which was the reason why the problem was not sorted normally.

Regarding the RADIO rooftop bar, as you said, on the first day you wanted to go it was closed due to a private event. However, all our guests are informed in our pre arrival email if we have their email address. Also, the RADIO Facebook website is daily updated with special public and private events.

Finally, I am embarrassed by your last night experience in the RADIO bar and I would very much like to apologise for everything that happened there. For the whole Team was something completely new. However, we have adopted new security measures to avoid that event to happen again.

Finally, and as I said before, I would like to investigate further which was the reason for all the inconveniences caused during your last stay with us. that's why I would very much like to stay in touch with you. If you would like to, please send us an email to melondon@melia.com.

It will be a real pleasure for me to help you with anything related to your previous experience and possible future ones.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Our travel agent booked us at this hotel (American Express travel agent). Upon arrival at 11 am they did not have the right check in date and despite showing our voucher and documents they proceeded to lock us out of our room a day early! We have to enlist the help of our travel agent to rectify that they were going to charge us to "stay another night"- in addition Silvia the "desk manager" was extremely rude and condescending. Of all the beautiful hotels London has to offer why stay here?

4  Thank Jocrisee
Aura_Department, Guest Relations Manager at ME London, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Jocrisee,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am aware that the senior Management is investigating the case and we have been already in contact with you offline discussing all the points you raised in your review.

Kind regards,