“first visit”

Dining options: Reservations
london
“first visit”
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We have a tastecard and had often thought of visiting this restaurant but had not got round to it...we were very pleased we did.The owner and the waiter were very friendly and the service very good.The prices are average although the drinks are a little expensive.The food we had was excellent. I had crab cakes and my partner had deep fried camembert both were well presented and very good followed by steak and deserts, also good. The only downside was it was very quiet .... good if you want to do lots of talking,but not so good for people watching. We will definately visit again though and I hope it gets busier for them.....well worth a try
There was also a very good £10 for 2 course menu

• Visited April 2013

London
“Menu and customer service a bit of a let down”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I came here with some friends recently for a friend's birthday. It was ok but the three key things: food, service and ambiance were all rather variable. One friend, travelling from across London, arrived early and rather than being welcomed and offered a drink while she waited, was merely informed 'you're 25 minutes early' so she had to articulate that she was aware of this, and she would therefore take a seat at the bar and would like a drink.

The menu on the website unfortunately didn't quite match the menu we were given on the day and several of us were disappointed that they weren't offering what we had hoped for (Sole Bonne Femme in my case). When the manager came to take our order he complained, in a slightly irritated manner, that he couldn't hear to take the orders as some of us were still talking. He didn't smile once during this part of proceedings. Then, rather embarrassingly, when a friend asked for a some assistance and a recommendation on whether he should go for one dish or another, the manager threw his hands up and said something along the lines of 'well they're totally different meals so how am I supposed to advise which one?'.

The starters were ok, all came with the same salad garnish and the scallops wrapped in bacon were a bit overcooked but otherwise fine. They all came out together and in good time. The mains were variable - the scampi was well received and nicely presented. I would have ordered the lamb were it not for the fact that the menu described it as 'slow cooked' and this wasn't what I was after. I was then annoyed to see that a friend who did order it was presented with a pan fried piece of lamb that was nicely pink in the middle. If it had been properly described in the menu I would definitely have ordered that. Instead I had confit duck leg (x2!) which was fine, but came with that same salad garnish again and some dry baked potato slices - there was no sauce of any kind. I'd rather have had one duck leg and a more interesting accompaniment.

We used a Tastecard which meant we had 50% off and I'm glad we did as even though the food was ok, I'd have felt robbed if we had paid full price.

• Visited April 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“More Pub than restaurant”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

If you're looking for good quality pub food, go and enjoy, if you're looking for a good restaurant choose somewhere else. As much as two of us enjoyed the food it wasn't what we were expecting, other reviews have said how amazing & fresh the fish was, unfortunately the seafood is all from the freezer, except the crayfish from a brine tub and was all very average, the king prawn starter was very salty but with a good flavour. Prices are reasonable and the fillet steak was very good, but it should be for £20, the pepper sauce it came with was a little odd to say the least, tasted like Bisto with a little mustard and ground black pepper, not worth the £2 addition. Overall, not impressed & probably wouldn't visit again unless maybe Saturday lunch, they have a varied menu and we only tried 2 starters & 2 main courses, portions were generous, I would have preferred half the portion & twice the quality.

• Visited September 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Shoddy Service”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

After having a very pleasant meal at Kye's in December we returned for a Mother's Day lunch. Even after phoning and booking several days before hand the blank faces and the eventual "Who are you?" on arrival set the tone for a very disappointing meal. The waitress was hopeless and her inability to make a simple cappuccino was ridiculous. The price we were charged for a glass of milk for my 3 year old daughter was nothing short of daylight robbery. The food was ok but the overall experience was very poor. I am all for supporting local businesses but Kye's will not be getting my money anytime soon.

• Visited March 2012