“Good value for money”
Review of Hughes Parry Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hughes Parry Hall
Ranked #502 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Have just spent 5 days in London with 2 friends and booked to stay at Hughes Parry Hall in a self contained flat for 3. The flat was conveniently located in London and a short walk from Kings Cross and Russel Square tube stations. Also nearby were a number of shops (e.g. Tesco) and places to eat so we had plenty choice as well as being able to cook for ourselves in our rooms. On the whole our rooms were clean, maybe a little bit tired looking in places but a good standard nonetheless. Our beds were comfy and we had lounge space to relax in other than the beds. The kitchen was fine, small table and seating area, fridge/freezer, cooker, microwave & sink. I think we would have liked to see a toaster in there and possibly a bit more in the way of cooking utensils but their absence wasn't a big deal for us. We had an inclusive breakfast which was lovely and provided a good start to our day & the reception staff were really helpful and friendly and we were able to leave our luggage at reception before and after check in and out times which was a big help for us. On the basis that we paid only a few pounds more per night to stay here compared to a hotel in Bayswater last Easter which provided us with a shoebox of a room and bathroom and definitely not made for 3 people, this accommodation proved to be much more spacious and better value and on that basis I would definitely book to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Staralto

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Positive points:
1. I liked the room. The floor is carpeted, the desk is large, so I could work and have enough space for the laptop, papers, camera, and all the wires.
2. Wifi on the first and ground floors, it was working well for me (they have eduroam network - all university from numerous universities connect as they are at home).
3. In addition, in the room, they have a perfect wired internet. Speedtest showed the speed of 70Mb. So, this is the fastest hotel internet I ever had!
4. There is a drying room with ironing facilities for free. And there is shower room with three cabins (but I met other people only two times there during six days of stay), but there is one private shower on each floor.
5. There is a kitchen with an oven, sink, fridge, and a kettle.
6. I liked the breakfast. The selection is large, the tables are more than enough to sit alone or with friends.

Negative points:
1. The bed is a bit uncomfortable meaning that you can feel the surface is slightly unequal.
2. The water is terrible (as almost everywhere in London). So, drink only bottled water.
3. There are no fresh vegetables for breakfast (as in many other English hotels)

Room Tip: Request a higher floor! I could see the whole London from my room on the 13th floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I have stayed in Hughes Parry Hall three times (four as of next week) and would consider it as my central London bolthole. As an historian, I am required to go to a lot of London based conferences and to complete research within the city. That has been the purpose of all of my visits. Here is my opinion, based upon more than one stay.

1. Room

Excellent quality for what is essentially student digs. You get a single bed with two pillows! You often don't get two pillows in more expensive budget hotel chains. A definite bonus. The bed itself is comfortable enough. I have never had any trouble sleeping. The carpets have a deep rich pile, which make stepping that first foot out of bed in the morning a bit more pleasant. You are provided with a small welcome pack, which is a nice touch. In it is shampoo, soap, and shower gel, and a pair of flip flops, which are great when you are using the communal bathroom...more on that in a minute. There is a computer table and chair, with free internet access via ethernet. When I stayed last week, the ethernet cable was missing but the receptionist handed me another one with no questions asked. There is also a kettle, filing drawer, storage shelves, a spacious wardrobe with a mirror inside and a comfy enough, waiting room style chair. The decor itself is a bit dated but you are not paying for a boutique hotel, so it cannot really be criticized for that.

2. Communal shower room and toilet.

As you are living in student accommodation, you are expected to live like a student and use the communal facilities, which are located on the middle of each floor. The bathroom itself is clean and tidy enough. Shower pressure is excellent, though be careful not to soak your clothes as the spray can be a bit 'enthusiastic'...I learned that lesson the hard way. There are plenty of mirrors and because you are living here when the students are all gone, you have no problem getting a shower day or night.

3. Other facilities on your floor.

On each floor there is a pantry, where you can make yourself a microwave meal or to wash some dishes. I have never used this. There is also a drying room, where you can put your wet towels on airers and there is an iron and ironing board. Again, I have never used these. If you are living above the fifth floor, using the lift is essential. I dared myself to climb to the 12th floor last week and pretty much had to camp out overnight by floor 6 :-D

4. Breakfast

As other people have said, it is a bit like 'school dinners' but there is a great selection ranging from continental pastries to a full English. I tried the full English the first time I was there and I didn't like it very much - every tasted really cheap but I didn't pay a bomb to stay here, so I can't really complain. Second and third times, I tried the continental and cold options and I wasn't disappointed. During the week, breakfast is served from 8 am. People have complained of queues but I have never had this experience. I tend to go down at 8.15 and get served straightaway. One major downside, however, is the friendliness of the catering staff. One woman has been openly rude to me every single time I have been there. She has clicked her fingers at me, obviously whispered about me, and gives me a clear look of contempt. I have complained about her twice but clearly nothing has been done. I know working in catering must be awful but don't take it out on me.

Despite the rude catering lady, Hughes Parry Hall is a wonderful place to stay. The receptionists are always friendly, you get 24 hr access, and everything you need for a comfortable stay. Hence why I am using it again on Wednesday on a research trip.

Room Tip: Specify that you want a room on one of the top floors, traffic noise is minimal up there.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank HungryHistorian
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This university hall of residence (dorm) offers good value accommodation in the heart of London.

Close to Euston and King's Cross, and within walking distance of Soho and Oxford Street, these rooms offer unbeatable value.

The shared bathrooms and the single rooms were clean and reasonably equipped for the price.

Good shops and restaurants nearby. Late night friendly pub across the road.

Queues for breakfast, but a decent range and choice.

Definitely consider this option if just looking for a place to crash in central London, particularly for younger travellers.

Room Tip: This is a university dorm - hedge expectations!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 July 2013

If you are looking for cheap but trusted accommodation in the heart of the city then university rooms/accommodation are for you. I have used student accommodation for several years and I am always amazed with the value for money that they offer.

As always I had a great stay at these Halls as well. Room are fairly basic and no ensuite facilities(a new experience for me) but I was still surprised with the price. Where else in the heart of the city will you find a room and breakfast for £39! Rooms have lots of storage and hanging space. No TVs.

It is all about location being very close to three mainline train stations and with easy access, within 5 minutes or so, to most underground lines. Russell Square tube is only about 5 or 6 minutes walk and lines Euston, Kings Cross/ St. Pancras a similar distance away.

The Halls are in a trendy, lively and safe area of London with numerous bars, cafes, sandwich shops, restaurants, pubs, shops within 5 minutes walk. There are several supermarkets including a Waitrose in the Brunswick centre, M&S food at Euston station and Tesco Express opposite Russell Sq tube. However lots of independent food shops, bakeries, off licenses, dry cleaners just down the road. The Brunswick Centre, a 5 min walk, offers a range of High Street names including Boots, Superdrug, clothing shops and even a NHS medical centre should you need it!

There are numerous independent restaurants offering a range of cuisines from around the world in the area. In addition there are many national brands (like Pizza Express, Prezzo, Giraffe, and Strada) within 5 to 10 mins walk together with a number of pubs offering traditional pub grub or others looking to provide a more fine dining menu.

The breakfast at the Halls was good although it was a bit like "school dinners". There wasn't a "five item" rule in operation assuggested in other reviews and you could eat a wide range of breakfast options including a traditional English breakfast. There was fruit juice, tea, and coffee available.

The shared bathroom, showers and toilets experience was fine. Never had to wait for WC, shower or a sink. Indeed I only meet one other person, in the toilet/shower block, over three days.

The is a iron and ironing board on each floor and a space to dry clothing and towels. Again nobody waiting or fighting over the iron. Also there was a small kitchen area with a fridge, microwave and kettle on each floor. However, the bedroom also had a kettle but you need to supply own cup, spoon and tea/coffee and so on.

The roads around the Halls were fairly quiet and traffic free particularly in the evenings. However, you are close to Euston Road and therefore you may experience traffic noise 24 hours a day if you need the window open. Plus there is a lot of people walking up and down the road in front of the halls on their way to/from the train stations. If you are worried about noise I would ask for a room on floors 6 to 13 and also a room at the rear (towards Sandwich Street). The quietest rooms overlooking a small courtyard/parking bay (accessed from Sandwich St) at the rear of the Halls. These rooms face away from Euston Road and therefore should be protected from the traffic noise.

You get a towel but only one. However there was a supply of bed linen and towels in the Drying/Ironing Room. Staff were happy for me to take another towel.

There are several cash machines in the area that charge a transaction charge so beware. However there are lots of free ATMs in the train stations and there are also a few banks/machines opposite Kings Cross station. The is a Halifax Bank and cash machines in the Brunswick Centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank themightyFinn
Reviewed 6 July 2013

It's a student college type place, so it seems they open up the rooms to visitors during the university holidays. For the price, this makes it an excellent hotel - it is close to everything in the city (took no more than 30-45 minutes to walk anywhere, and it was incredibly close to Euston Square and St Pancras, as well as a local tube station), and it's in a nice area with a shopping centre and plenty of things to do nearby. It felt very safe - there's no problem at any time of night walking around the area.

The room was small but good, it had decent-sized wardrobes to put your clothes in and a desk to work at, though the bed was more comfortable anyway. The only weird thing was the placement of power points, which were kind of hidden, so make sure you search for them! But apart from that, the room is nothing flash but it is comfortable and clean, and you'll have no problems with it.

Breakfast was included and was good, but had weird hours (something like 9-10am) so if you actually want to get in a full day of activities you probably won't have time to take advantage of it.

The only negative thing was that I could not work out how to get the showers to be warm. It seemed to be a combination of old plumbing and a bad heater system but the shared bathrooms are pretty much all cold water, so watch out for this!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an en suite - the shared bathrooms are not great!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Warning: I write long reviews so I can cover absolutely everything, which is what I look for in a review :-) Hope this helps!

OK, to start off I'll say that this is budget accommodation, and for that market this is excellent. Of course not everything is perfect (more on that later) Don't go expecting plushy 5-star surroundings or you will be disappointed. However, if you expect clean, comfortable, well-located, all the basics, etc, then you'll like it.

Getting there:
I stayed in a self-catering, en suite ‘guest flat’ on the 3rd floor overlooking Cartwright Gardens in front for 7 nights. The building is situated about 5 – 10 minutes walk from Euston station – that will be your closest station. When I arrived I took a taxi from the station which cost around £5 – 6. However, you could take a bus (nr 91 & 390 will get you there) - & get off at the British Library stop, cross the road then it’s 2 minute walk up Marchmont Street.
A note: there is a Sainsburys and Marks & Spencers at Euston Station so if you want to buy food before you go & check in, it’s very convenient.

The flatlet
I was actually surprised to find the flatlet to be light & airy & a fairly good size! Sure the furniture is nothing fancy, but everything worked & there was everything I needed (except a decent mirror, which I have found to be ‘par for the course’ in both low budget & expensive places – there’s never a good enough mirror). See photos. Double bed on which there was a clean cover, & I was provided with nifty little disposable shower flipflops, & clean towels, all nicely folded up. Bed was comfortable & the curtains blocked out light well. Good for light sleepers. Although it faced the road I didn’t find it too noisy at all. There are radiators for if it’s cold. Windows could open (don’t know about lower floors though – you’d have to check).

There is a desk in the room which has an internet connection so I could plug in my laptop to go online (I was there for both work & holiday, so very useful!). The kitchen has a stove/oven, microwave, fridge, kettle, crockery & cutlery – even post & pans. Most days I just bought ready-meals, bread etc & could make myself food which saves a lot as takeaways are more pricey in general. Note: they do not provide tea, coffee, condiments, or any food in the flatlets – that you must bring yourself. There was also no bottle opener so if you like a bottle of beer then suggest you take your own!

Staff
In general staff were helpful & friendly, & answered all my questions. There is someone at the desk at all times, and a security guard at night.

Breakfast
Breakfast is included but if you’re not into going to a dining hall for cooked brekkie, etc, you could just buy milk & cereal or what have you. There is a 5-item limit to your breakfast – which means 1 serving of eggs, 1 of bacon, 1 of tomato, 1 of yoghurt, 1 piece of fruit, etc – there is a lot of choice so you should be fine! Tea & Coffee is not included in this selection so you can have 5 food items & still have your coffee! Most people keep to themselves at breakfast. I found it overall good, especially the hash browns & baked beans (I’m a baked bean fiend).

Nearby shops & food
Very well-located for this. Brunswick centre is about 10 minutes walk away which has a Holland & Barrett health shop, Superdrug pharmacy, cash machine, a few clothing stores, food places, & quite a large Waitrose (supermarket). Check the website for more info.
There are various other take-aways nearby, including North Sea Fish literally around the corner, a Pizza Express & Starbucks on the Euston road nearby, and, as mentioned small supermarkets at Euston Station. Woburn Tandoori is a block or so away with v nice Indian-type food. I’m sure there are lots more, I just can’t comment on them as I haven’t tried them.

Negatives:
• The cleaners didn’t leave any washing up stuff to clean my crockery etc with (which you are expected to do) – even though I asked at reception a few times. I ended up washing with a facecloth.
• There were some cracks in the bathroom walls due to damp – fairly normal in an old building in the UK, though, & everything was clean so didn’t bother me much (have the same problem in my house!)
• The bath plug was near impossible to open so the bath just filled up when I was showering – until I prised it out with a fork.
• I noticed that the shared bathroom on my floor was out of order – glad I had en-suite (specify this when you book)
• I, as a single female traveller, would have liked a little bit more secure locking on my door – like an extra chain or something.

However, I’ve stayed in accommodation from budget to fancy & there are negatives to all of them so don’t let this put you off. Tbh I’m actually not a fan of ‘fancy’ – I like to be able to come in & out & basically be left to my own devices unless I ask for help, and I don’t like feeling I have to tiptoe around lest I crinkle something, so for me a place like this is ideal.
Really, if you need a budget, self-catering accommodation which ‘does what it says on the box’, and is very well-situated, then this is a good choice. I almost feel like keeping my review to myself in case it suddenly becomes so popular that you can never get bookings (like LSE accomm)!
Hope this helped!

Room Tip: I would suggest a room not on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business