“You Get What You Pay For”
Review of Macdonald Hotel

Macdonald Hotel
Ranked #44 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Gret location close to Kings Cross/St Pancras Stations. But thats it.
Tiny room literally 3m x 3m including bathroom...you step out of bed into the bath room. Our room was advertised as a double but the bed was marginally bigger than a single.....Luckily we were just married. Also lucky we only stayed 2 nights.
Breakfast was ok but in a cramped room also. Everything was cramped....but clean.
Wouldnt stay here again.

Stayed February 2011

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank conkien

Reviewed 8 May 2012

very clean. Good position for visit London. Staff always available to help us. very good choise.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2012

I stayed here in a room with a shared bathroom and toilet. Something I usually wouldn't do. I arrived late at around 11pm but was greeted by a very good receptionist who I think is the manager. He gave me my room key and told me where to go to get to room 101.

The room was small and not the best decor, however it felt clean and did have a huge sink basin to have a good wash in. The shared bathroom and shower was clean although this was up the stairs so not ideal.

I slept really well and the bed was as comfy as expected but equally better than some London Travelodges.

The morning came and I was getting the eurostar. I knew that the station was only 2 minutes walk so set an alarm to get some breakfast. sadly I then realised I hadn't printed my tickets and had a panic on as the tickets were booked by the company I was working for. I waited until around 7 am (when the reception opens) and rang the bell. The same guy came out to see me. I asked him if I could get an Internet code and then check in and forward him a PDF to print my tickets as I had messed up and not done it. He assisted me and got me printed without any hassle. Unfortunately due to this I was out of time to sample the breakfast so cannot comment.

All in all for the hotel to be next to the station, so very reasonably priced and staff more friendly and helpful than some 4 star hotels you really cannot go wrong. Make no mistake it is what it is but it's clean and on my night of stay was very quiet.

Thank you so much again for your help with printing my tickets!! I hope to see you again the next time I have an early train from St Pancras.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 18 April 2012

I've been lucky enough to stay in some of the best hotels in the world. This isn't one of them.

But it is cheap, clean, safe and less than 5 minutes walk from London Kings Cross station.

The staff have always been friendly and helpful, and I will continue to use it when on business trips to London.

Room Tip: I try to get the single room next to the toilet / shower room, as once I had a room which was the ne...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This place was luxury after staying in backpackers for a month on a Topdeck tour. It was tidy and clean. My friend and I had a twin with ensuite room. The bathroom was clean. Plenty of bedding and was perfect for what we needed. We were able to keep our bags arriving early and departing late - which I would expect anyway to be fair. The breakfast was basic but good. Great location to Kings Cross

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel twice (in 2011 and 2012). it is very close to Kings Cross Station, and the manager is really nice and helpful. Basic but clean; compared to similar hotels in the area, the MacDonald offers the best price. I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Wifi works best on lower floors.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 April 2012

This hotel is the best value for money. It does not pretend to be an upmarket hotel, but it is clean, comfortable, the staff are helpful, the location is incredible, and it is cheap. The rooms are small, but one spends very little time in one's room. The money I save I can spend on my holiday. I have stayed here for several years on my annual trips, and it is my London home.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo