Sara Hotel
US$215
US$188
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewswest brompton stationearls courtneeded a place to stayyogurtbreakfast areathin wallsnice breakfasthot watersmall hotellocation was perfecteasy accesscomfortable bedtubebramptonearplugstescolinens
Reviewed 23 June 2013

We paid £90 for a double room so we weren't expecting anything special. However after 5 minutes in the room we realised how poor the place was. The old double bed barely fitted in the room, the room was tiny and dirty with a door to the back terrace that couldn't be locked. No Wifi coverage in the basement. Poor breakfast: the cheapest cereals, coffee and toasts. Not bad location recommended just for a night if there is nothing else available.

Room Tip: Room numbers: 1,2,3 and 4 are in the basement, try to avoid them
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sin_Rumbo_Fijo13
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Paid well over the odds (£240 for one night) but booked at short notice so expected to pay more. The room was a basement room with a view of some concrete steps covered with cigarette ends. The room looked dirty with thick dust on the ends of the headboards and on top of the radiator and grubby bedspreads, the skirting boards were black with dirt in places. The shower smelled revolting and was dirty with black slime hanging from the soap dish. The door handle on the toilet had been replaced with one that was smaller than the hole it was fitted in and the gaps around it had been stuffed with toilet paper. The net curtains had a large tear in them and the window would not close securely. When we returned to the hotel after a night out the cover had fallen off the flourescent light and was laying across the bed, on inspection this appeared to have been attached with Sellotape. Over the years I have stayed in a number of buget hotels throughout europe and this is by far and away the worst room that I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Glyn M
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This was the worst hotel I've ever been to. If I could give it less than one star I would. I reserved a single room. The room was tiny and was really dirty. The whole hotel had a horrible stale smell. The shared toilet did not flush properly.

I reserved 3 nights, but left after the first night even though I couldn't get any reimbursement for the nights I did not stay. Really terrible. Do not make the same mistake. I moved to the London Town Hotel just up the street in a better location. It charges about the same price and is immensely better. Clean and ensuite.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank bdgt_travel
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I arrived earlier than I had indicated and room wasn't ready, but the receptionist was helpful and polite and I went in search of a coffee and returned later. On return, I was upgraded to a larger room. This had a double bed and a single and a decent sized table. There was a small ensuite, but the shower worked well. No mould but the extractor fan hadn't been cleaned in years and was covered in fur. A separate sink in the room itself.

The hotel is basic, the carpets are old fashioned, and the decor could do with freshening. There was some curious electrical equipment which appeared to be the distribution point for the TV for all the other rooms. The room had a decent sized flatscreen TV. At the price paid, for the area, it was acceptable.

Main issues were that the room was too hot and there was no heat control on the radiator. Also, despite there being 4 power sockets, I struggled to find one that would work with my 'phone charger. I was on my own, but had I been travelling as a couple/family I would have been irritated by the double bed being up against a wall on one side so the person using that side has to climb over the bed and/or other occupant.

Breakfast is in the reception area so at busy times you will end up sharing a table laid for upto 8 people. I was warned that 08:30 was busiest so I went to breakfast early. Cereals, juice, toast and tea/coffee.

Hotel is very basic and is dated, but on balance it is inexpensive and the staff are good. Very convenient for Earls Court 2 and West Brompton tube.

'Pops' cafe nearby so an excellent breakfast if you want a cooked option, and the Pembroke pub on Old Brompton Road serves some excellent ales.

Room Tip: For the price, probably worth booking a larger room for the extra space.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2012

A clean but extremely basic hotel, rooms were small and the sink light didn't work neither did the hair dryer. Had a good tv and offered breakfast as part of the £69 room charge, good location so can't really complain for the price!

• Stayed: November 2012