“Hidden Surprises”

11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Hidden Surprises”
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Whilst from the outside this looks like a run down old off licence you must go inside. It is a very simple and plain bar with "Unusual" furniture. Goodness knows where it came from but it could be described as "Eccentric" in a chic sort of way. Vey welcoming though. a large selection of wines and specialist beers but that is not the most unique thing. Attached to the "Wine Bar" are a number of apartments offering accommodation from 2 people to 6-8 depending on how much accommodation you book.

The apartments are very professionally done, clean, well presented and modern with very well appointed kitchens. We spent 5 days there and it was a home from home. We were being 'entertained' by our adult children who live in the area and when their hospitality got too much (Ahem!) we could sneak off to the Wine Bar for a night cap or even just a warm up and then to the apartment upstairs. It was really great.

There are are number of stairs which if you are disabled could present problems. The area has a post office, little supermarkets that sell everything, cafe from Jerk Chicken to a 'greasy spoon' for breakfast and lots of carry outs, a station within 20 metres and a bus stop outside the door. Being double glazed we were not aware of any traffic noise really. The spot is ideal for visiting the centre of London via the train.

We will use it again without hesitation.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank sootyreid

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Avoid unless you like being treated badly.”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

First of all I would like to say that this review isn’t based on one visit, it is based on a number of visits over the past 12-18 months.

As you enter Mr Lawrence Wine Bar you think to yourself, this is a nice quiet down to earth place and they have a nice selection of wines, beers and ciders. I am sure this will be pleasant experience, where you can get some quality service by someone who takes a great interest in what they do. Someone ready to discus the wines, if you are a wine expert or get some help from someone who knows what they are talking about if you are an occasional drinker.

You would be wrong. What you do in fact get is a downright miserable, pompous, pretentious and very rude attitude, from a couple who obviously don’t want anybody, with the exception of their friend/small group of regulars, to give them any business. The only smile I have ever had in this place is when Mr Lawrence, or his wife, is making some snide remark.

At first I thought that maybe they had an off day, but this has happened every time I have entered this bar, and I am not the only person to have experienced this attitude, in fact my wife has been given a snooty attitude on a number of occasions when she has been there either with, or without, me. We are not loud, obnoxious people; we are polite and courteous and always have a smile and like a bit of banter, if appropriate.

It’s a shame really, this place could be one of the real gems of Brockley, and I am sure it once was, back in a time when the owners cared. Sadly I think it is time that they admitted that they don’t really want to run a bar and either employ some polite staff who give you service with a smile, or sell up to someone who cares. I for one won’t be giving them my business again.

In summary, if you want to drink nice wine, but don’t mind being treated like you have walked into a Daily Mail reader’s living room and interrupted their old boys club, then this is the place for you. If you want a pleasant experience then stay well away. I know I will be in future.

Visited November 2013
11 Thank JM12357
Lydbrook, England, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Miserable”
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Came for a friend's birthday.

Wine and beer ok. Food ok.

However...

Miserable service by the staff. Grumpy, moody making sarcastic comments. Refused to provide a fresh jug of tapwater. What planet are they on? I want my business to go down the drain planet it seems. If you don't like running a wine bar don't take it out on the customers... Sell up and do something else... The sooner the better...

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Berry D
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Great option for an area lacking in great pubs”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I have recently moved in to the local area and find the pubs to be a bit uninspiring, this place is a good alternative because it offers the cosy feel of a pub with good quality drinks on offer.

Visited March 2013
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Superb Local”
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Mr. Lawrence is our first and only choice when wanting a beer or glass of wine in Brockley. It has a great selection of beers and even larger wine list. Friendly owners who when we first moved in to the area and taking a break from unpacking, gave my wife and I a couple of wine glasses to take home as ours were in the bottom of box somewhere.

Visited September 2012